[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Hi, here ist the link to the .craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pieqv6pogx852i8/KSS%20LAUNCHER2.craft

The ship was build with an older Version of procedural Fairings. Then I remove procedural Fairings and installed the new Version.

I noticed if I remove the old Interstage Fairing bases and add new ones the bug disappears so it seems something is saved weirdly with the old ones.

EDIT: I forgot: This is Sandbox

Their size is tweakable now. You get several parts, each resizable. If you are in career mode then there are limitations on size based on your current level of advancement.

I'm in Sandbox Mode and 1.25m is the only size base. I can't go any bigger.

I'm in Sandbox Mode and 1.25m is the only size base. I can't go any bigger.

Make sure you have the latest PF version installed. Right-click the base and increase its size. If you can't do that, post a screenshot of what you get on the right-click.

Uh, please please don't start adding duplicate copies of PF. As the post above (and e-dog) said, the old parts are still there. They've just been set as unavailable. Use the above MM patch to make them available again.

well I must be doing something wrong because I followed you instructions and now I can see the craft files and I can open them in the vab but if I try to remove the old pre 3.x fairing base and replace it with a 3.x base I get a tiny base and when I right click that base there is no option to tweak its size (sigh).

Kind of frustrated because I am like 90 percent through the interstellar tree with over 70 craft files all with pre 3.x fairings and I am at a loss as to how to salvage them

@ctbram: Just so you know, e-dog has deprecated the Keramzit folder and moved the Procedural Fairings folder up into the Game data folder. Nathan's solution will work just as well in the Procedural Fairings folder.

I did exactly what he said. As I said I could then see the ships but then the new fairing bases will not scale! The I took the MM patch out and just moved all my ships to the default (stock) ships folder and started a sandbox game and the exact same thing happens! I can see the ships in the vab, I can remove the old depricated fairing bases, but when I add the new base I cannot scale it!

Here is an image

aNoaBdq.png

As you can see all I have is the option to change the radius but that seems to just adjust the blue lines indicating the fairing size. It has no affect on the radius of the base! You can see in the shot the old depricated 3.75m extended fairing base and the new tweakable one but it's not tweaking for me (smile)

DEBUG INFO:

I have removed the old keramzit folder

I installed ProceduralFairing folded version 3.0.2

I copied the stock ship folder and then moved all my ships in my career game to the stock ship folder

I created a new sandbox game

I launched and went to the vab and can see all my ships (over 70 of them and almost all with 2.4.4 fairing).

I did a grep earlier and made a list of all the ships that had kz fairings

I went to the first ship in the list and the picture above shows where / how I am stuck

I checked a couple other ships and get the same results. I am able to swap in the new fairing base but it has no option to re-size it.

PmdBzWx.png

and here is what happens if I just try to create something new using the new tweakable fairing bases (I just grabbed a capsule, decoupler, and fairing base for something simple). As you can see I get the same problem. I cannot change the size of the fairing base.

VWnhQYU.png

I guess I could try starting a new vanilla game and just install the proc fairing mod and nothing else so check if it's having a conflict with another mod???

Edited by ctbram

Give output_log so we can help, but to me it looks like an installation error, it's probably KAE not loading since that's what fairings use for their tweaking. If you have Procedural Parts make sure you're using the latest version as the earlier ones are incompatible with PF 3.0.

Give output_log so we can help, but to me it looks like an installation error, it's probably KAE not loading since that's what fairings use for their tweaking. If you have Procedural Parts make sure you're using the latest version as the earlier ones are incompatible with PF 3.0.

I rolled back because I have kosmos fairings and parts in nearly all my ships as well and that mod requires the keramzit folder. So I kill all my ships if I lose kosmos. I can't see how I could install ProceduralFairings itself wrong! It's a single folder and as I said in the post above it works with a vanilla installation. I cannot test how removing kosmos affects things as then nearly every one of my ships dies including all my antimatter collecters, power stations, IR telescopes and my interplanetary mission currently in the jool system with nearly 6000 science sitting on it waiting to come back to kerbin!

So I am pretty much stuck with 2.4.4 until I can do a clean restart and have to remove kosmos. This really hurts because the kosmos parabolic fairing looks nicer then the egg, or conic, and more importantly to me the bases are 1/4 the thickness of the PF bases and have decouplers built in. Not to mention all the struts and other kosmos parts I would lose forcing me to pretty much rebuild every single ship I have.

This kind of is a good case to show why mod A depending on mod B is kind of a bad thing. extensive use of mob A and then mod B changes and you are borked!

Regarding resizing issues, I'm in career mode and have unlocked up to Heavier Rocketry, but my fairing bases refuse to go larger than 1.25m. They do resize in many steps between 625mm and 1250. Is that normal? Disregard, I found the relevant cfg entry. Still, maybe you could advertise it somewhere :)

Edited by thorfinn

Regarding resizing issues, I'm in career mode and have unlocked up to Heavier Rocketry, but my fairing bases refuse to go larger than 1.25m. They do resize in many steps between 625mm and 1250. Is that normal? Disregard, I found the relevant cfg entry. Still, maybe you could advertise it somewhere :)

First, you have an old version, the latest one allows to resize up to 1.5m at first.

Second, you need to unlock Aerodynamics for 2.5m bases and Heavy Aerodynamics for larger ones. Thrust plate has different tech requirements, see common.cfg for more details.

I rolled back because I have kosmos fairings and parts in nearly all my ships as well and that mod requires the keramzit folder. So I kill all my ships if I lose kosmos. I can't see how I could install ProceduralFairings itself wrong! It's a single folder and as I said in the post above it works with a vanilla installation. I cannot test how removing kosmos affects things as then nearly every one of my ships dies including all my antimatter collecters, power stations, IR telescopes and my interplanetary mission currently in the jool system with nearly 6000 science sitting on it waiting to come back to kerbin!

So I am pretty much stuck with 2.4.4 until I can do a clean restart and have to remove kosmos. This really hurts because the kosmos parabolic fairing looks nicer then the egg, or conic, and more importantly to me the bases are 1/4 the thickness of the PF bases and have decouplers built in. Not to mention all the struts and other kosmos parts I would lose forcing me to pretty much rebuild every single ship I have.

This kind of is a good case to show why mod A depending on mod B is kind of a bad thing. extensive use of mob A and then mod B changes and you are borked!

Edit the Kosmos fairing config files to change the dependency.

Leave notification in the Kosmos forum thread notifying them that there's a dependency issue. Either the part config files should be changed or a set of Module Manager configs released with conditionals that check for the new version of PF and that then makes changes accordingly. (I must necessarily be terse right now and can't elaborate further but will provide more information later if this is too confusing. But I'm pretty sur that it can be done; there's nothing insurmountable happening here that will stop you from using Kosmos with the very latest PF right now with just a little bit of config editing)

Updated to 3.03:

• Added "sandbox" tech to specify minimum and maximum sizes in sandbox mode (see common.cfg).
  • Changed mass formula for all parts except side fairings. Generally, larger sizes are significantly lighter now.
  • Part mass is now displayed when you right-click the part in VAB.
  • Rebuilding side fairing mesh only when really needed (faster in VAB, especially with FAR).

Had a bunch of issues with this update last night. It seems that even though the old parts are included in the deprecated folder I still couldn't load saved vessels using PF. I tried editing the old .cfg's to make them visible in the parts toolbox but was never successful with this, even copying the .cfgs to the main PF parts folder. Eventually had to rollback to previous version to be able to load saved vessels. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be happening with this?

Had a bunch of issues with this update last night. It seems that even though the old parts are included in the deprecated folder I still couldn't load saved vessels using PF. I tried editing the old .cfg's to make them visible in the parts toolbox but was never successful with this, even copying the .cfgs to the main PF parts folder. Eventually had to rollback to previous version to be able to load saved vessels. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be happening with this?

What do you mean by "can't load" exactly? Can you do that in sandbox?

What do you mean by "can't load" exactly? Can you do that in sandbox?

Can't load craft files in VAB or SPH in career mode. Vessels will load in sandbox. I tried enabling the deprecated parts by changing their category from -1 to Utility but still couldn't load the vessels and in fact didn't see the parts listed in any node in the tech tree.

Can't load craft files in VAB or SPH in career mode. Vessels will load in sandbox. I tried enabling the deprecated parts by changing their category from -1 to Utility but still couldn't load the vessels and in fact didn't see the parts listed in any node in the tech tree.

Back a few pages someone posted a .cfg file that will put the old parts back into the game to allow you to load old craft. I was about to use that, then decided it would be best to convert all of my old craft to the new parts. I created a new sandbox save, moved all of my craft over, edited them and replaced the fairing rings with the new ones. After putting them back in my career save's ships folder I could load them just fine. I did have to edit my persistent.sfs file and remove the PF files from the Tech section because the new parts weren't showing up for me.

Back a few pages someone posted a .cfg file that will put the old parts back into the game to allow you to load old craft. I was about to use that, then decided it would be best to convert all of my old craft to the new parts. I created a new sandbox save, moved all of my craft over, edited them and replaced the fairing rings with the new ones. After putting them back in my career save's ships folder I could load them just fine. I did have to edit my persistent.sfs file and remove the PF files from the Tech section because the new parts weren't showing up for me.

I thought of that option....but I use Procedural fairings a LOT. I'll continue poking at it and see if I can figure out what's gone wrong.