Just a heads-up, your craft files should still work in .21

NovaSilisko

Your saves won't survive the update, BUT your saved craft files very likely will!

If the game finds incompatible saves in the folder, it will ask if you wish to delete them - but doing so will eliminate any crafts inside. So, be sure to back the ships up if you want to keep them - you can find them in KSP/saves/(name of save)/Ships/

Just copy the SPH and VAB folders somewhere else then put them back into any new save made with .21.

(Please please please note that as always, something unexpected might happen beforehand and break stuff, but just backing up the craft files can't hurt)

Edited by NovaSilisko

Nice to know. I've been holding off on missions because I want to set up a whole system of bases and orbiters, but don't want to lose them all when .21 comes out. Now, I can at least build them all to keep myself occupied and be ready to go when it hits.

Won't we have to update the crafts anyway to take advantage of the SAS changes?

This is pretty much what I was thinking as well.

Crafts may still be able to be loaded, but they may not work exactly as intended with SAS any longer, which could cause issue for someone later on down the road if they don't think about it XD.

The actual parts still exist, so it shouldn't present any issues. The only thing that might be problematic is if the parts use different modules. Still, all the old stuff still exists, so your ships will be flyable right away, but you can also just swap out any problem parts for identical, updated versions.

Edited by NovaSilisko

Yeah but I'd much rather tweak an existing craft that I know other than one or two parts, than try to remember the 84 OTHER parts that I'd have to put back exactly the same way they were before.

Just tested it with a craft from .19, and it works fine, even with all the differences in part modules. Should be good.

Works fine = no crashes, or works fine = uses new ASAS?

Also, if I copy the flags from my persistence file, can I at least save my flags?

Works fine = no crashes, or works fine = uses new ASAS?

Also, if I copy the flags from my persistence file, can I at least save my flags?

Uses the new ASAS, seems parts automatically recieve the new modules. Flags probably won't work if they're on terrain that's changed.

Uses the new ASAS, seems parts automatically recieve the new modules. Flags probably won't work if they're on terrain that's changed.

I am sorely tempted to send you the craft file for my "An Exercise in Absurdity Mk4", just to see how much easier it becomes to fly!

So, will the old ASAS parts work as the new ones, or will they require replacement with the new parts?

I've just started building with the ASAS as the starting point. Do I need to change that before everything becomes unworkable or saddled with extra weight?

• 2 weeks later...

Nova, what's the mod support with .21? What are the chances that my mods are going to get broken? I have a big project underway and I'm holding off on launching until after .21 so I don't lose all that docking work (I am gonna have to hyperedit my space dock back up though). So long as Kethane, KSPX, DSM, Kerbal Engineer, Mechjeb, and Lazor Docking Cam still work, I'm good.

Nova, what's the mod support with .21? What are the chances that my mods are going to get broken? I have a big project underway and I'm holding off on launching until after .21 so I don't lose all that docking work (I am gonna have to hyperedit my space dock back up though). So long as Kethane, KSPX, DSM, Kerbal Engineer, Mechjeb, and Lazor Docking Cam still work, I'm good.

This is pretty relevant to my interests too. I presume this update will break any mods that add cockpits and (A)SAS modules?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.