Has Scott Manley helped you?

Devland99

Scott and pebblegarden's vids I credit with helping me learn how to dock.

I learned to rendezvous and dock watching the Pebblegarden videos. I had to re-watch them a couple of times, but once I really understood how to move the target markers around the nav ball, it all seemed simple.

I do watch & enjoy Scott's videos, too, and have learned a few things there as well.

I've never seen one of his videos, actually.

I don't hang around on Youtube much...I can get information much faster in text form, anyway, which is why I usually ask/search on the forums or the wiki.

Helped some, certainly. I think I finally figured out orbital matching and docking from his videos, and I found his "intro to KSP" videos to be helpful. Mostly though, I like his stuff because he's entertaining in an educational sense, and his accent amuses the hell out of me. I just want to hear him build a rocket and then say, "And now we will report to the launch pad, for a series of tests!"

I watched one of his vids way back when I was still struggling to get to the Mun. It'll be a long time before I forget: 100km parking orbit, then transfer burn when the Mun peeks over the horizon. This was before patched conics + maneuver nodes.

I haven't used any of Manley's tutorial. I'm sure as a former astrophysicist he knows his stuff, but his delivery of this knowledge is incredibly patronizing.

Actually it isn't patronizing at all... it's just his Scots accent that can sound patronizing.

Actually it sounds more self critical if anything. He's also trying to put out information in a non-dry humorous way. I love his vids and have gotten a great deal out of them.

Scott Manley surely helped me to refine some parts that I used to fly in a crude way, like orbital insertions or gravity turn. Most frustrating was to actually watch his video, rolling-on-the-floor for his intro and outro slogans, talking about how funny he is with my friends and being laughed at like a Nerdy-lame videogamer. (I think this is quite common here)

I figured most of the stuff on my own but I still enjoy Scott's videos. I link friends and family to them when they mention they want to play KSP. The main thing that helped me was just watching some of the things to try out.

Totally! His videos contributed in a significant way to my buying of the game because he showed me how awesome it is, along with reminding me how awesome general rocket science is. And his main tip of 'launch/burn when your target peeks over the horizon' has been immensely useful.

Scott taught me loads of KSP stuff such as proper docking and rendezvous (not just screwing around with nodes and calling 20km encounters rendezvous). His content is also highly educational and his voice, well, one of a kind.

I'd highly recommend him to newbs. Plus he doesn't seem to be allergic to mechjeb and mods in general.

Scott taught me loads of KSP stuff such as proper docking and rendezvous (not just screwing around with nodes and calling 20km encounters rendezvous). His content is also highly educational and his voice, well, one of a kind.

I'd highly recommend him to newbs. Plus he doesn't seem to be allergic to mechjeb and mods in general.

Same as this for me. With addition on how to use nodes to get to the Mun, etc. Watching someone doing it made a big difference for me. I look at it that he helped me grasp the basics so I could start enjoying the game faster. I was so excited to get to the Mun and I was getting frustrated on how to actually do it (I'm very impatient like that).

I still go back and watch them now just so I can get a taste of KSP when I'm away from my computer! I got a lot to thank Scott for.

Yes. He gave me a ride to a gas station when my car ran out of gas. I'm walking along the freeway when all of the sudden this rocket lands next to me and out comes this dude and he says "HELLOOOOOOO! SCOTT MANLEY HERE! Today we're going to go over refueling!" I hope in and off we go...

Seriously though yeah he taught me the basics of rendezvousing and helped clarify on several things about the game I was unsure of when I first started playing.

Scott has helped me on KSP in the same way as watching anyone play the game well would help me, in terms of pointing out lesser-known functions/ideas. I think I heard about asparagus staging before seeing him, but in one of his vids he fully explained whats happening and why this is a lot harder in real life etc. Same with things like alt-click in the VAB/SPH copying selected part, shift-click is grab the entire ship. Useful stuff.

Scott's major plus for my watching is his extra knowledge of real rocket science, physics etc. Occasionally he goes off on a tangent to explain something complicated - very much enjoy these parts!

He's one of the few who doesn't repeat "like and subscribe my videos" all the time and is a family man - I've got to respect someone for doing all those videos and keeping a healthy family life, which he clearly does. He also has excellent taste, so his comic moments are occasionally infused with reference to Monty Python or Hitchhikers Guide and so on.

Just seems a good all round guy really, nothing more to it than that! Keep on space truckin Scott.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.