So this is what Felix Baumgartner experienced on his trip?

Deses

I threw a kerbel out of his pod at 200.000 km, just for laughs, the usual stuff, but past the re-entry phase, something weird happened:

2013-07-10_00010.jpg

2013-07-10_00011.jpg

2013-07-10_00012.jpg

2013-07-10_00013.jpg

OH GOD

I don't know if it's a known bug but it was awesome.

You just met the Deep Atmospheric Kraken. Unlike his brother the Deep Space Kraken, this one delves, well, deep in planetary atmospheres. You can either summon him by going at ridiculous speeds in an atmosphere, or by getting into really really dense atmospheres. I.E. 15atm or near Jool's surface :D

Wow, so that's the kraken I keep hearing around! I though it was some kind of real space kraken that would try to kill my kerbals.

Nah, the real Kraken has been obliterated in .17 I believe. Ever since then, it lies, defeated on Bop. It was a real thing, and it did literally destroy your ships. Nasty stuff.

However, the Deep Atmospheric Kraken just eats the Kerbals that fiddle too much with the atmospheres for breakfast.

Deses's comment just gave me a great idea! Find some mod that i can convert into a harpoon shooter, build a whaling boat/spaceship/thingy, and go on a kraken hunting expedition! Then, i'll capture it and whenever a get tired of a space station, I'll simply "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" and be done! Nasty bit of work in OP's pic though. Would hate to be that poor guy lol

I feel I should say Felix jumped from a little over 30 km, so your Kerbal may be a little more extreme.

Not to mention the real life Felix jumped from a balloon, so he didn't really have much forward velocity I'd guess. I believe I read he also didn't break the sound barrier, as by the time he got low enough to cause a sonic boom, the thin atmosphere slowed him down below the speed of sound.

Theoretically I guess, if you're high enough up, you could reach the speed required to break the sound barrier(which Felix might have), but unless you've got a rather high forward momentum, such as orbital speed (17,500mp.h=5mp/s=28163.5km/h=2.8163km/s...give or take), it's not much different than jumping out of a plane, except for the lack of air pressure.

Not to mention the real life Felix jumped from a balloon, so he didn't really have much forward velocity I'd guess. I believe I read he also didn't break the sound barrier, as by the time he got low enough to cause a sonic boom, the thin atmosphere slowed him down below the speed of sound.

Theoretically I guess, if you're high enough up, you could reach the speed required to break the sound barrier(which Felix might have), but unless you've got a rather high forward momentum, such as orbital speed (17,500mp.h=5mp/s=28163.5km/h=2.8163km/s...give or take), it's not much different than jumping out of a plane, except for the lack of air pressure.

I believe he was supposed to break the sound barrier, but early in the jump he went into a tough uncontrolled spin he had to recover from, which slowed him down so that by the time he recovered it was too late to gain enough speed to break it. He didn't break all the records he was supposed to break because of that.

Not that I'm knocking Felix, recovering from a spin like that in such a thin atmosphere must have required a crazy amount of skill and experience.

I believe he was supposed to break the sound barrier, but early in the jump he went into a tough uncontrolled spin he had to recover from, which slowed him down so that by the time he recovered it was too late to gain enough speed to break it. He didn't break all the records he was supposed to break because of that.

Not that I'm knocking Felix, recovering from a spin like that in such a thin atmosphere must have required a crazy amount of skill and experience.

Yeah, he was spinning really fast. I remember watching it live with my girlfriend, we were really scared for a second. Although I thought he did break the sound barrier right after he recovered from that spin :l

Yeah, he was spinning really fast. I remember watching it live with my girlfriend, we were really scared for a second. Although I thought he did break the sound barrier right after he recovered from that spin :l

A crazy ammount of skill with what... magic? well timed burping and farting RCS?

I'd watched this live as well with my family after looking up the event and the expected procedure, such as this "direct nose down dive" that he was supposed to do the moment he left the balloon. Knowing there was going to be almost no atmosphere (therefore no control whatsoever) I instantly knew that wasn't gonna happen. I said hes gonna spin, family wasn't so sure. What'd he do? Spin, lol.

No ammount of experience could have prevented that. He'd have to be dropped already pointing downward with no rotation to have even a hope of avoiding a spin. In which case, Felix's live TV broadcast would have had him hung off a rope by his legs like the catch of the day before release.

The reason I knew this is unlike the planners of Mr.Felix's jump it seems, I'd heard of the NF-104A starfighter, an astronaut trainer aircraft which flew up to similar altitudes and was fitted with RCS, because the aerodynamic control was a lost cause at 120,000ft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_NF-104A

Happened to me yesterday, while I was flinging kerbals into space by cabling them to SRBs. Seems to occur when they enter the atmosphere while spinning and in ragdol mode.

aqcPRHd.jpg

Later on in the experiment, I found that by activating the jet pack, I could grantee a stable landing.

I had jumped from a station at 800km previously, and didn't encounter that issue.

UD87Lu7.jpg
Edited by Tw1

I feel I should say Felix jumped from a little over 30 km, so your Kerbal may be a little more extreme.

My kerbals are totally extreme. Top notch extreme.

I had jumped from a station at 800km previously, and didn't encounter that issue.

But he's morre extreme. Also, that last screenshot is beautiful. It would be better with Jeb's crazy grin, though.

This is true, about the spinning, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't knocking the guy, what he did was pretty amazing jumping from that high. Sounds like something I'd wanna do, though maybe I should jump out of a plane like "normal" people first lol.

Oh, I also thought I heard somewhere that he didn't make it as high as he wanted to which didn't give him enough time to gain the speed needed to be able to travel at the speed of sound while in enough atmosphere to cause a sonic boom. Like, because of the slightly lower altitude, and the spin, the little bit of atmosphere that was there was enough to slow him down before a sonic boom could be made. At anyrate it was interesting to hear his description of there not being any sound, then slowly he started hearing the air rush past him. That, and seeing the curvature of the earth like that has gotta be pretty cool :)

But he's morre extreme. Also, that last screenshot is beautiful. It would be better with Jeb's crazy grin, though.

Reentering with just a Kerbal is pretty much the coolest thing ever when you get the angle just right :D

1scnBFU.jpg

:cool::cool:

This one's a real maniac. So worth digging these up again.

1xcuJjQ.jpg

Edited by Tw1

Nah, the real Kraken has been obliterated in .17 I believe. Ever since then, it lies, defeated on Bop. It was a real thing, and it did literally destroy your ships. Nasty stuff.

However, the Deep Atmospheric Kraken just eats the Kerbals that fiddle too much with the atmospheres for breakfast.

How can you be so sure? I brought it back in a ship (see my 1st thread).

Looks like your Kerbal went all-out multidimensional. Folks, that Kerbal is just fine. You're only viewing him in 11 dimensions from your three dimensional view plane. Nothing to see here. Move along...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.