All-in-One Space Station

Sorry if the title was confusing, it was the best thing I could come up with.

I don't know how to dock, but still want to get a station into orbit around Kerbin, so instead of looking up a tutorial online like any sensible person, I ended up creating this:

jxqbGUxl.jpg

The section in the middle is the main part. The four attachments(or "arms") carry the solar panels and dock at the bottom. It essentially carries all of the pieces of the station into space in one trip. Although I have yet to actually do it without hyper edit.

CgT7HGcl.jpg

This is it once it's in orbit

E4FPzAVl.jpg

(Sorry if hard to see)The final engine has boosters so I don't have to worry about bumping into it when I start arranging the arms.

Q1XKkCql.jpg

Docking first arm

wrf4E6Sl.jpg

Moving the second arm into place. The arms are tricky to maneuver at first, but it's fairly simple once you ge tthe hang of it.

MRdeIbNl.jpg

The arms' supply of RCS can be shot away with a command key once it's docked and isn't needed anymore.

7cde0xJl.jpg

Fully deployed. Not the prettiest thing to orbit Kerbin, but it works.

Craft File if you want to try it yourself: http://www./download/xame9vbi1gimlmu/JSS_Kerbin_Space_Station_Mk_2.craft

Command Keys: 1,2,3,4 in the order the staging is in. Meaning the first arm is 1, the second is 2, third is 3 and fourth is 4.

You're not the first to make a space station "kit". Good job though. I like these kinds of craft because then you don't spend 4 hours building a basic station.

"space station kit" Why couldn't I think of that when I created this thread?

just wondering, how long did it took you to do the final assembly? (since I can't seem to find where you could've attached a probe core onto the arms)

Maybe 1-3 minutes for each arm. And the probe is right below the ASAS, near the top.

Edited by Joshington

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.