The Story of Jeb's Return to Space

Tuna7

Plot Summary (spoilers minimized) This script style story is about (once) famous Kerbonaut Jebediah Kerman and his return to space. He will have to overcome his mistakes from far in the past and become the hero he once was.

New chapters daily(ish)! :D

Prologue : Project Hephaestus: Ship Alpha

(Scott is 1, Jack is 2)

25 years in the past...

Ship Alpha of a temporary base on Mun has just gotten into a parking orbit at 200km. The transfer to Mun will happen shortly. Command crew Jack Kerman and Scott Kerman are casually talking.

(1 is Scott, 2 is Jack)

1 "Say Jack, why is it that the JBB team isn't here on this mission

2 "Well, Jeb being the daredevil he is, landed the lander of the latest Mun mission, but broke one of the rock storage components which caused him and his team to be suspended"

1 "A stupid rock colector? What was that of importance?"

2 "Well KSP set up that mission because they wanted to get some Munrock. According to Bob, Jeb tried to see 'how fast he could safely land' "

(Flight Engineer) "Sir, all engines are ready for firing. We are approaching the transfer window."

1 " Throttle up and activate those engines! Lets get this show on the road"

Jack executes the orders and the engines roar. The team watched the computer screen display their orbit getting more and more eccentric. Suddenly, the navball spins out of control. The rotation sends the whole team of 8 hitting boards in front of them and being thrown out of their seats.

2 " What the Tylo is going on?!"

1 "The engineer hit the wall and he's out cold. According to the staging screen two of the NERVAs have just overheated. The throttle seems to jammed."

2 "KSC, we have got a prob-"

A siren blares and the lighting goes out. The emergency computer reads "CAPSULE HULL BREACHED! AIR PRESSURE DECREASING!"

The hull rips just as the crew turns around to look at a cracked wall. Just before they can get a glance, it ruptures, exposing a spinning view of space. The vacuum tosses the poor Kerbals out like rag dolls. Many scream for their lives. A call that can not be heard.

Edited by Tuna7

Chapter 1: A Strange Encounter

Present Day...

Jeb awoke. He took a shower then combed his hair. Inside the mirror he saw a very different person then the hero he was some 25 years back. Hair fading and falling out ; pale skin. Features sagging. Then he muttered some words about what the KSP had done to him. Jeb turned on the TV and went to KNN

News Reporter: Hello Kanada! Today is a rather tragic day worldwide. Today, dubbed Mission Day, is the day that eight Kerbals of Kamerica's KSP on Ship Alpha of the Hephaestus Program were killed in orbit. According to computer error reports Mission Control received "Two NERVAs failed causing a large rotational force that ruptured the hull." Mission day is famously known for people around the world launching fireworks in memory of the 8. Today is also when KSP canceled all their manned flights due to safety issues. Here is the speech from Kamerican Head of Space Exploration:

HSE: Today we have witnessed a terrible event. A failure onboard Ship Alpha has resulted in the death of her eight crew. This has caused me and many others to finally realize the safety issues of manned spaceflight. This is why we are now canceling all manned fli-

That's where Jeb turned the TV off. He could not bear listen to how his career ended. He could not bear to listen how that crew was killed. He felt anger building up on his inside so he rushed for his depression and mood swing pills. That's when he heard a knock on the door.

More later! I got kind of busy.

Chapter 2: A Strange Encounter Part Two

(yes, the bump was needed)

Jeb resisted the temptation to ignore the knock and relax. His back ached as he trudged towards the door. The person standing there was instantly recognizable. One of Jeb's friends that he hadn't talked to in at least a decade.

Jeb: Hello Bill. Come in. (in that unexcited tone)

Bill: Well am I glad to see you.

Jeb: What do you want?

Bill: *Sigh* Glad you're in a great mood.

Jeb: I don't need no more of this bullcrash reminders of the Space Program and how it crashing ruined my life!

Bill: Please don't get mad. I only came here to talk about life with you and share stories and such. We haven't seen each other in a decade.

Jeb: And I'm OK with that! Go back to Tylo Bill! You want to share stories? I haven't had a single good moment since those idiot Kamericans put my Son on that dumb untested fighter jet.

Bill: Well then we can start now. Jeb I understand how bad things are going for you. Losing your Son, Wife, and Job. Ever since Hephaestus every single Kamerican Kerbonaut has had to face challenges. You've got to stop living in the past.

Jeb: But I have no future. I was born to be a kerbonaut; an obsolete job. They shut us down for a reason. That's what I've come to have known after my son's death. It's good that our kind die off unsuccessfully. Make room for those Probe Pilots they want now.

Bill: Jeb stop. What's wrong with you becoming a Probe Pilot? I remember you a courageous young man who planned to land on every planet and moon in the solar system.

Jeb: Those were my stupid days. I know better than risking lives for a purpose that makes no sense. There is little thrill in being a Probe Pilot. But I don't want any thrill anyways.

Bill: If you're going to be like this, forget it. I guess those 3 days of finding you and driving here were useless.

Jeb: Go back to Tylo!

Bill casually walked out. He got in his car and drove off. Bill turned on the radio and listened to the news. He was going to show that Jeb how to be a real Pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while D:

Finally-

Chapter 3: Not Enough Delta-V

Jebediah Kerman maneuvered around his house grumbling to himself about Bill. It was only a knock on the door that knocked him out of his trance. Jeb answered with force; almost ripping the door out.

Jeb:"WHAT"

Mysterious Uniformed Man: "Nice to see you too. This is Chumpram Knubman of"

Jeb: *snicker*

CK: "Bank of Kanada. You have been behind on your mortgage for this house. We need 500 credits by next week or you're in prison.

Jeb: "Listen Chumpram. Get back in your little car and drive home. I'll have the money by tomorrow.

Jeb being at least six inches taller totally intimidated. Chumpram hurried back to his car and did just as Jeb said. Just after he left, Jeb called the bank.

Bank Guy: "Hello Jeb! Are you looking to see your account balance?"

Jeb: "Yes. I would to know. Some guy came saying I was behind on mortgage"

Bank guy: "Um according to this you have 50"

Jeb: "Thousand Credit?"

Bank Guy: "No. Just Fifty Credits"

Jeb: "NO WAY! I WAS A KERBONAUT! I WAS A MILLIONARE"

Bank Guy: "Well it appears that you have just ran out of Delta-V"

Jeb hung up. Quickly he located his computer and went to Kerbonet.com, a job website. He then clicked 'Searching For A Job'? His Characteristics were the following.

What are you good at?

Maneuvering high altitude crafts (HAC)

What is your experience?

Maneuvering high altitude crafts (HAC)

Surviving in Extreme Conditions

The output was only a singe company:

SpaceKom-Karmalikstan-Space Tourism-Probe Pilot-

Jeb realized that this was his only shot of not going to prison. He called up SpaceKom.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.