What-or who-got you into this game? What has your time since then been like?

Drunkrobot

I played Orbiter for many years. Thought it was the cat's meow, what with being raised a NASA brat and always dreaming of going into space. Then late last year I saw people on both the Orbiter and Trek BBS forums talking about KSP. After maybe 20 minutes of playing the demo, I bought the full game. Since then it's been eating up way more time that I should let it! :cool:

Like so many others, my original forum account fell victim to the Great Forum Faceplant of 2013.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Was bored one day, and came across some troll's youtube account. I then saw this video in his activities:

And said to myself: "What sorcery is this?"

The first days was like "meh", then I've started gradually watching more KSP videos I can see (particularly, venku1222's videos). There then came the time where I've decided to give the game a try, and eventually started playing regularly. That was late-September 2011. It was only 0.10 back then.

Didn't took that long when I've finally decided recording some KSP videos and upload it to my youtube channel. Here's my very very first KSP Video (note the upload date, and the BOOSTER-ality). Hooray for direct ascent to escape velocity! :cool:

I then decided to join the forum mid-October 2011 (this is my second incarnation, hence the join date. the forums was on Simple Machines back then). And the rest is history.

True story.

TL;DR: BOREDOM AND CURIOSITY GOT ME HERE TO THIS GAME. :D

Edited by Flixxbeatz

I tend to search for Space Games via youtube every 6 Months or so to see if anything looks interesting enough to try. Came across a Kerbal Space Program video by Kurtjmac [didn't even know who he was either], watched the Video, and instantly bought the game picking my jaw off the Ground.

A friend of mine showed me vids games he wanted too try out,

one of them he where Harverster was showcasing one of the early releases of KSP, and i later at home googles it up, and came across the website of KSP..

I coudnt resist and bought the game (0.13) for a few euro's.. and never regretted it..

In time the game only has become better and better..

a little over one solar orbit ago, a friend casually mentioned this kerbal thing and put some vids of it on. That was that evening over, we just sat there watching vid after vid. I stumbled home in a daze of wonder, got the demo and before the next day was done I had purchased the full game (0.15 i think). Since then nothing has quite been the same....

i was bad.... had a buddy of mine come over one day and had KSP.16 on a thumbdrive think i played that for months off and on never really going anywhere and then i found Scott Manleys videos round about when reusable space program episode 8 or 9 came out, through out all the updates i had to stick with .16 even though i REALLY wanted to support the devs and buy the game, it wasnt till .19.1 that i had enough spare money to buy it on steam, and im SOO glad i did i had always felt bad playing the half pirated copy with out having supported the devs

A youtuber JJ5x5 (if you played Roblox 2007-2010, you know who he is) started uploading small clips of the early free version on his channel. Although I didn't play it at the time, because there wasn't a whole lot to do.

Kurt J Mac when he first started doing videos about KSP. I think I was considering getting the game, but his video sealed the deal. (Or maybe I had found the game and bought it already and saw him play it, I don't remember)

Saw the ad on Steam, downloaded the demo and played it for an hour or so. I was hooked, bought it the same night.

I love this game. I'm a total gear head, love designing things. And I can run it on my laptop sitting on the couch, don't have to be a hermit at the desktop in the office.

I was bored on YouTube and went through some of my subscriptions (that I don't actually watch. Does anybody actually use Subscriptions on YouTube as a list of things to watch?) and kurtjmac (whom I follow because of his Far Lands Or Bust series) had some videos about KSP. I watched the first one, then queued up the other 71 and downloaded the demo.

By the time I was out of the teens in his series, I owned the game. I haven't looked back :)

I think it was a friend who got me into KSP. I paid for it, since I heard about that the price will just go up the more stuff they add to it.

Since I couldn't figure out how to get a rocket into orbit, I stopped playing that game for months. Then Youtube re-sparked my interest, of how to get into orbit. But what really got me back in is the fact you could EVA. I thought you would be stuck in that pod forever.

So using another video, I made a legit rocket, no cheats or anything. Got it off the ground, did a gravity turn, then squealed when I saw I was in Orbit for the first time in my life. And then I got into a circular orbit (wasn't perfect, but hey, it was an orbit).

And I played around with EVA. So much fun. Then I panicked when I didn't know how to get my Kerbal back into his ship. :P

Though even now, I don't play this game to learn about weight and all of that crap. This is supposed to be a Sandbox game; a game you can do what you want! Then I found out about the Debug Menu and was all "WOOT!! I can go to any planet I want!! :D"

it all started around last fall when Robbaz started uploading modded ksp in .17. searched it up, got bummed out that the only free version was in 13. decided to skip the demo and go straight for the full game after .18 came out. I couldn't dock to save my life, so I searched up tutorials, which led to trydyingtolive, which led to even more youtubers. the rest is history, I've logged about 30 hours regular and 60 hours on steam so yeah.

Edited by BurntPhoenix
incomplete post

For me it was a combination of happenstance, Steam and Youtube. One day I happened to see KSP pop up on Steam and took a look, downloaded the 0.18 (I think) demo and played around with it some. Decided it seemed interesting but being "early access" and I'd only played a little of the demo I went ahead and trawled through a good number of Youtube videos both instructional and comical, I went back to the demo and after completing my first Mun "landing" followed by a rescue mission that landed without enough fuel to complete the rescue I was hooked. Brought the game shortly after and have been enjoying it ever since!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.