What-or who-got you into this game? What has your time since then been like?

Drunkrobot

I am subscribed to Ethoslab, for his Minecraft videos. One day I noticed a like in his feed for one of Kurtjmac's videos. It was KSP.

checked it out, liked what I saw, bought the game (for my son). Been playing it ever since.

After a video from Hatfilms (a bunch of Brits on youtube I'm subbed to) I decided to try the KSP demo and I liked it enough to end up buy the full game.

I did hear about KSP before that though, but I never heard anyone super excited about it so I never really got interested enough to seriously check it out. I also think KSP has a bit of a "fantastic gameplay, with not super inviting graphics" factor. Not that KSP looks really bad, but the planets simply aren't "omg, those are gorgeous, what is that game?!". But that's just my opinion though and I do realize that on the scale of KSP it's not really feasible to have amazingly superb graphics at every level of detail (or at least not with a huge amount of man hours).

After more than a decade flying all kinds of planes with several flight sim's I finally thought to myself:

"Skies became too small, why not to give the Space a chance?"

And Mr. Google pointed me to the way...

I had no idea that this game existed until it came to steam. I had been wanting a game where it was possible to design spaceships. This game is as close as I can get to that idea so.... I went ahead and bought it. Now only if there is a game like this but with sci-fi tech like faster then light drives and other solar systems to travel to. Been playing this game for the past three weeks. So far I have done a manned mun landing, orbited mapsats on eve, the mun, and duna, built an SSOT, made a VTOL, put together an orbital spacestation, and built an aircraft. This game is on my list of the best games I have played. Serious props to the devs.

I asked on steam if anyone knew of space games that were not treating space as a collection of cells linked by jumpgates. which always annoys me.

Someone mentioned Kerbal, I tried the demo and bought it the next day on steam. Full price, a few days after a -33% offer and a few days before the summer sale, not knowing...

I had lots of fun, trying to reach orbit then quickly reached moon surface (hard) and a few days ago finally landed a rover there.

Still have a lot to learn but I am patiently awaiting .21 to continue exploration.

Great game already, and it will "soon" be even better.

Are there other games treating space the right way ?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question. Do move it if that's the case. Thanks.

How did this game enter-and effect-your life? I ask this because it probably isn't the same reason you buy other games. Kerbal Space Program is not a global sensation-yet. Other games I play, I bought because my friends won't shut up about them, so I might as well see what the fuss is about. This time, nobody I know knew of the existence of this game. And then they knew, because I would never shut up about it.

On the 1st of July, 2012, 375 days ago today, I was looking through my youtube subscriptions, and I notice this video about this game called "Kerbal Space Program"...

I think to myself "FyreUK? Well, I only really watch them for the Minecraft builds... but why not? They revealed to me the existence of H.A.T. films, that was a good discovery. Besides, it has "Space Program" in the title, so it must be good."

I fell in love. With a video game. About little green men. Inside spaceships that I myself can build and fly and land and crash. I needed to know more.

Luckily, in the comment section, I see this post "Hey, you might want to check out this dude called trydyingtolive. He has a lot of KSP videos, and you might learn a thing or two." I look up trydyingtolive, and I learn a thing or two. The man gives me a crash-course in orbital mechanics. I didn't even know what a "Periapsis" or an "Apoapsis" is, before I watched his videos. I see that this game is science at work, it is how NASA does it. Then I spot in suggested videos a certain "Danny2462". I see that this game is also completely, magnificently insane. Danny shown me that "Kerbal" is not just a noun, it's an adjective.

More players of KSP become known to me-Kurtjmac, Scot Manley, Pleborian, The Solar Gamer, HOCgaming, xPDxTV- the whole lot of them filling my brain with wonderful memories-Harv and TheMattDennis16-not the same Matt who introduced me to the game-race to get a flag on the Mun, a suave Scotsman giving a nugget of space history, Danny unveiling his orbital mass relay, Pleborian trying to skycrane down a base station on the Mun, only to accidentally release it a few kilometres too high...

I download the demo. I get into orbit. I "attempt" the Mun. I fail, then I succeed. I do it again and again, getting better each time. I buy the game on steam. I send probes to the other planets. Now, very recently, I have put boot prints on the Duna soil. This game isn't even nowhere near finished, and even then, even now, it's the greatest game I have ever played.

What about you guys? How has your time with this game been like? How did it start? Sorry if I'm talking about myself too much. :rolleyes: You talk about yourselves, if you want. In the words of a great Kerbal, "Cheers".

I found the same video series, but on their forums, not youtube

One day in late winter last year, I was bored and, being a fan of kurtjmac and have a slight interest in space, decided to watch some of his space videos. I then began watching his Kerbal Space Program videos and I loved the game, so sometime later, I downloaded the demo on my laptop. I could barely play it, but it was an amazing game.

Eventually, I mustered up the courage to ask my parents to buy this game and I got it sometime in June 2012. I began watching TheWinterOwl, Scott Manley, and trydyingtolive on YouTube later. I somewhat lost interest in the game after 0.16 came out, but once 0.17 came, I began playing the game again, got a forum account in November, and here I am now.

I found out about KSP from FyreUK, err umm "acquired" a copy (torrent.... yeah I know, BAD) cause I didn't have the cash. Two weeks later when my new PC arrived and I had some spare cash I bought a copy. Been playing ever since, I'm seriously shocked that I haven't gotten bored of KSP yet. Gotta thank this awesome community for my great time playing :)

I read an article about it on the Rock Paper Shotgun site and bought it pretty much immediately. Then I spent a couple of hours having rockets explode or fall out of the sky until I found Scott Manley's videos and figured out how things work.

Honestly I saw a screenshot on facebook from 4chan of people joking about jeb. I googled "KSP" and downloaded the demo, then played it for a few days before caving in to buy the full game. I had terrible timing.

I wanted to buy it right after (unbeknownst to me) the arrival of .17, so I had to wait a few days to even buy it after I wanted too and was so eager to ;.;

About a year ago I saw a video about Kerbal Space Program. I don't know how I got there, but I have always been interested in astronomy/space/physics, so maybe it was a releated video on youtube. I watched the video and I liked it. I visited the Kerbal website and thought about buying it. Somehow I lost track of this game and it got forgotten.

Then, this year in February I saw an article about Kerbal Space Program on PcGamer and it immediately brought back memories. I again visited the website, but this time I saw the demo and gave it a try. I played it for a few hours and then decided to finally buy it. I think it was version .17 at that time, just a few days before .18 got released.

Ever since, this game always leaves me in awe when I'm in outer space just floating around.

What got me into the game: Wikipedia and Google :P

And my time was awesome! In my opinion, this is the best rocket sandbox game ever! (There are only few rocket building-sandbox games :P)

I really love the almost infinite possibilities this game offers! I even made a sports car.

Searched on Wikipedia for info about the Iraqi city of Karbala. Then saw a result that said 'Kerbal Space Program' and assumed it was an Iraqi effort to reach space. Eventually it resulted in me downloading the demo and eventually buying the game. 80% of what I know about space and related phenomena originates from KSP ... !

A few weeks ago my father showed me this game. My father installed the demo on my computer himself.

Heres the thing, my father should have retired last year. He is an engineer that lately works on aircraft engine sensors for early stall warnings etc. He told me just yesterday that he thought the only point and click puzzle game in the world was Myst. He cannot figure out how to install a game on windows 8, let alone discover one on his own. And even if he found it at work through his friends, the fact that he could come home and repeat the steps. . . Lets just say my jaw was on the ground.

As for how the game was? Awful.

KSP should be ashamed. I had a test that monday. What were you thinking developing a game like this? 11:30 P.M. turned to 3:30 A.M. faster than I could say "Maybe just 30 min"

Seriously though, best game ever.

I saw the game before .18 (don't know exactly when) but didn't look into it more. Then around March/April this year, a friend of mine on steam started trying the demo, I go and look at it, download the demo and got caught in it.

Then I spread the game to +30 people :3

• 3 weeks later...

i found this game while looking for minecraft videos. it was a Scott Manley video which made me want to check what the game was about. i looked it up and watched the build, fly, dream trailer where i realized that i was destined to play this game. i bought it within a week and playing it only confirmed that i was destined to play it

Edit: i should mention that i got this game in June 2013

Got myself into the game. Was looking for something to play and I had remembered a long long time ago I had some sort of space shuttle game. Could take off, fly around in space, and land but I couldn't remember the name. Did a quick google search for space simulators and got a few games, ksp looked like the best of the bunch so I gave the demo a try and instantly decided I wanted the game, despite my first shuttle going kaploey because I had no clue what I was doing at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.