What does "1E+09" mean? - Playing with a modded Stock part

Benie

See the title. I "hacked" the Mark 55 Radial Mount Engine to hopefully be able to get in and out of Eve's atmosphere without a scratch.

I basically put "999999999" for maxTemp, crashTolerance, and made the maxThrust at 500. Going by my sample math calculations, my four engines will produce more thrust than one Mainsail engine.

But ingame, they are listed as "1E+09". Does this mean it's beyond what the physics will handle?

It's how computers often display really big numbers.

1E+09 means 1 * 10â¹

10â¹ means 10 * 10 * 10 * 10 * 10 * 10 * 10 * 10 * 10 = 1 000 000 000

1 * 1 000 000 000 = 1 000 000 000 which is a rounded up version of your 999 999 999.

Physics should handle it just fine as long as its just the maxTemp and crashTolerance. If you put it in maxThrust on the other hand.. not so sure about that!

It's how computers often display really big numbers.

It's traditionally engineering notation, as opposed to mathematical notation of 1 x 109. Personally I'd say computer programmers tend towards using the mathematical notation generally (or 1x10^9).

1E9 means 1 billion.

Only in languages/countries that define billion as 1000 million, and not a million million.

It's traditionally engineering notation, as opposed to mathematical notation of 1 x 109. Personally I'd say computer programmers tend towards using the mathematical notation generally (or 1x10^9).

Only in languages/countries that define billion as 1000 million, and not a million million.

like English...

Does anywhere still? Or at least, anywhere that calls it 'billion'?

Most of Europe, South and Central America and half of Africa. The blue countries on this wikipedia map in fact:

World_map_of_long_and_short_scales.svg

EDIT:

like English...

Two of of the three biggest english speaking populations don't use it at all, but use lakhs and crore instead.

Edited by EndlessWaves

I have never seen a computer (outside of mathematics specific programs) by default display large numbers with "x10^" instead of "E+".

In the game engine they use (Unity3D) a number very small/big (not sure about the big part) it replaces some characters with numbers to represent them in a shorter manner.

EDIT: I know this from personal experience with Unity3D (and no I'm not making ants with those puny values).

Most of Europe, South and Central America and half of Africa. The blue countries on this wikipedia map in fact:

World_map_of_long_and_short_scales.svg

EDIT:

Two of of the three biggest english speaking populations don't use it at all, but use lakhs and crore instead.

Sure, but it's not just about size. It's about relative importance to the English language. In Britain and the United States, the two countries basically at the "head" of the language, the long scale is rarely used. When Americans or British people have a particular habit, it's usually considered a standard part of American English and British English respectively. If Indians have a peculiar habit in English, it's considered wrong.

It's like that in my country. 1000 million is called a 'milliard' and a million million is a billion.

I'm aware of the milliards and billiards, just didn't think it was still written and pronounced as 'billion', more 'bilion' (with an accent in there somewhere).

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2013 at 10:16 AM, EndlessWaves said:

I've only seen the 1e9 notation in programming context, mostly since the "^" operator is usually reserved for bitwise exclusive-or, not an exponent. so "1*10^9" would be 3, not 1,000,000,000

If you want to do this conversion easier without having to do the math, most calculators have an "exp" or "E" button that does this (shown here in pcalc in the lower left, I don't have easy access to windows but the windows calculator should have the same thing) 

Screen_Shot_2020-01-16_at_6.45.57_PM.png

Edited by cineboxandrew

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.