Ssto- luce

• 2 weeks later...
holy parts clipping batman :B

it does look good I suppose.

And by experience, it flies quite a ways. Honestly, it's like the second or third craft that I copy form here that I actually use.

So much people are requesting this file... Rosarium, where are you? Customer service is important! I guess I could always give you guys the version I reverse-engineered from the pictures...

Rune. Told you not putting the file was a bad idea.

Also wondering why you're not just posting the link.

PMing it to people is just hassle for both them and you.

However, if you wish to self promote by having people bump your thread just to have a craft... so be it.

@Rune - As long as it goes as fast as his and handles better than a brick, go for it :D

.craft will be shared only on request, with hints and tips.

Sorta rude to dangle a good looking ship in front of people's faces and tell them they only get it if they personally ask.

Craft file? We don't need no craft file! :P

It would be nice to have it, though. Not everybody can build this beauty just by looking at pictures. By the way, it can do a Pugachev's Cobra or two right out of the runway. I proved that totally on purpose. :wink:

Rune. Shameless showoff.

:cool: Well, here's my rendition of the craft. THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL. This one is made in Japan.

The extra set of winglets on the top fixed a CoL issue I was having. I know now the original uses "swept wings" with some clipping for extra lift, I just did it a slightly different way.

Craft is powered by a single RTG clipped into one of the tanks.

there are 6 intakes present.

GROUPS: 3 switches jets <-> NERVA and closes/opens intakes, 4 toggles nerva alone.

click images for full size

xyf.png

d2p.png

mzqe.png

Shamelessly copying a good design and making it easy to access:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2gU8i82Ok0VTTNmSUM0SS1OdGs/edit?usp=sharing

Notes:

1: It's not the best design in the world. My Aeris 3A SSTO goes faster and higher in atmo (1900m/s at 34km on JETS).

2: 3800m/s is complete horse pucky. He does say once in orbit... eh. Still, my rendition goes fairly fast and easily gets into orbit. Saw 1700-ish when I did my speed test.

3: I actually made it better by doing this, though it's probably missing the point of it looking as slim as possible. This is not in the .craft I provided and was just tested after the fact:

d238.png

4: @Rune: Pugachev's cobra, or what I would call "air Tokyo Drift", or "I want to play HAWX", is usually a very skillful move... In KSP it's usually caused by having a CoL in front of CoM, causing small control twitches to make the craft flip out. I had it originally. I solved it by putting AV-R8 Winglets in the nose of the craft, again clipped in to hide them.

Also... Dat cobra. *didn't crash after I did this.

uglx.png

Edited by Immashift
Edited link to .craft to now reflect all-stock design.

Shamelessly copying a good design and making it easy to access:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2gU8i82Ok0VM2Fvd0xXUTdkdmM/edit?usp=sharing

Thx for sharing this:-)

edit: it misses some winglets cant load the craft. can you make it stock pls and remove these winglets? thx!

NP.zmisc.heavywinglet

edit2: found it its the novapunch winglet

Edited by whaaw
corrupt craft file

edit: it misses some winglets cant load the craft. can you make it stock pls and remove these winglets? thx!

NP.zmisc.heavywinglet

edit2: found it its the novapunch winglet

FIXED. Please redownload from link in my above post. It is an all-stock craft now. My apologies. That winglet looked so close to stock... I really shoulda done it with my stock install. Who bloody knew NovaPunch has plane parts...

:D Part clipping trickery. It's 6 kerbals, to the original design's 4.

Aim your camera to the nose of the craft so you're looking straight at the docking port. Like so:

5si.png

Now scroll your wheel up slowly. You should go through the nose of the craft and eventually see where I've hidden them. Here is another image with a better perspective of where the seats are located:

640i.png

You can do this in space to bring kerbals home with the right click -> Board option. I honestly only added them because the original had them sneakily placed.

Apparently the inside of a fuel tank is a safe environment for kerbals.

Honestly 3/4ths of this design is clipping into the other quarter. There are a number of lift surfaces for example that are inside other parts. Otherwise this design would never fly. Interestingly even though in reality no air would be hitting it, they still give lift in-game.

I expect if the game's aerodynamics model is ever proper, this design would fly about as well as a brick.

If you're feeling extra awesome, and Jeb is your pilot, add a seat here and fly it to orbit in IVA view :cool:

1dtu.png

Edited by Immashift

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.