Sockets TrackPlayer, or the player that dynamically changes your music while gaming

SolarLiner

Hi !

Following the 8track player thread on the forums, an idea grown on my head: a player that changes the music style when the game "mood" changes. I first wanted to do all as a pluginless mod for KSP but there was other games where I anted to see this implemented. The whole project was born: Sockets TrackPlayer.

Sockets is not an usual track player: there is no "next" or "rewind" buttons: all is remotely controlled. The idea is to listen though a port via TCP (you see why the title?), waiting for instructions.

For the musics part, you have a main configuration file giving the tracklists corresponding to a "situation" or a "mood", and in the tracklists, you have the music files.

Then there are the remote controlled part. You connect to the IP Address where the player is launched (technically you can connect to a computer in the far side of the world, but who will do this to listen to music ?) with the port 31180 and you can start giving instructions (case doesn't matter) :

- <TracklistName>: Change tracklist to the one entered

- next: Changes track in the list

- pause: Self-explanatory

- play: pretty straightforward too :)

- shuffle: toggle shuffle.

- cfile: Returns the current playing file

- clist: Returns the current list

The non-fully implemented one:

- cfg <config>: Changes the configuration file to <config>.

For now the only way to link the player is to start it with, as an argument, the config file. This can be done because the installer adds a STP system variable linking to the installation folder. If the var is not here, the player was uninstalled, or worse, never installed ...

So now I'm asking help from guys who can help me building a "bridge" plugin, it would be great ;)

And thanks to everyone who will help me getting rid of the lots of bugs (mostly unhandled exceptions, and I have discovered some of them already), to see an even better player !

Side note: I don't know if my thread belongs in the right place, as it is a completely standalone program, but is still tied to KSP as a plugin will be done for it (or at least I hope). So, feel free to replace it at its rught place :)

This seems like a really cool and fun idea, but the implementation seems a bit odd to me. Why connect to another computer via TCP? Would it work with 127.0.0.1 or localhost to do this all on one computer?

This is a feature that can be done, yet useless. Of course you can and will connect to 127.0.0.1 or to a remote IP computer with a powerful sound system in your local network.

I like this idea, sounds a lot like Dan Steph's "Orbitersound" plugin for Orbiter 2010. I'd love to see something like this for KSP, especially if we can get the event triggers to work correctly.

Well, no, because OrbiterSound adds sounds to a sim that doesn't produce sounds, and you also have that music playing feature while in space. The idea is about musics only.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.