[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

Sounds like you don't have the new "Assets" folder installed where it should be. (GameData/Hubs/Assets/KerbTown/*)

Extract everything from the archive rather than just the plugin library.

No, that's not it - the KerbTown menus work fine; I'm talking about the regular craft Load and Save options - they don't do anything now.

No, that's not it - the KerbTown menus work fine; I'm talking about the regular craft Load and Save options - they don't do anything now.

Interesting bug. Could you check the debug log for me? Are there any errors that occur when you click the Craft Load/Save options?

I don't have Linux copy of KSP to test this with so I'm hoping I can help from looking at the logs.

If anything does occur in the debug log, please send me the KSP_Data/output_log.txt file.

Also.. try it without the sub-assembly mod and let me know the results there as well. :)

Interesting bug. Could you check the debug log for me? Are there any errors that occur when you click the Craft Load/Save options?

I don't have Linux copy of KSP to test this with so I'm hoping I can help from looking at the logs.

If anything does occur in the debug log, please send me the KSP_Data/output_log.txt file.

Also.. try it without the sub-assembly mod and let me know the results there as well. :)

D'oh, I'm an idiot. The KSP.log file in the main KSP folder (that appears to be the default location and name for the Linux log file) told me I'd relocated the VAB and SPH folders accidentally; one of the downsides of the Mod Manager being Windows-only.

I want to do some more random buildings for people to just generally use as assets. Do we have a set of standards or references to go by, like how wide we should make roads, how big a Kerbal is for doors, and stuff like that? I can't think of a good way to do roads without using really big textures for stuff. Other useful info would be stuff like texture size and polycount info, I have never done anything for Unity before so it's kind of all guesswork for me. Basically what I'm asking about is kind of like a design FAQ.

Anyone know whether there is like a repository for launch pads, buildings etc. on the forums?

I am actually in the process of setting one up. When it is available you will find it here: http://kt.hubs.co.nz (place-holder content)

I'll be sure to update the main post when I've gone ahead and finished the actual repository.

http://imgur.com/a/svfsJ#9 Roughly what I hope to achieve once I've finished. Now back to work :0.0:

Look forward to seeing the end result. :)

D'oh, I'm an idiot. The KSP.log file in the main KSP folder (that appears to be the default location and name for the Linux log file) told me I'd relocated the VAB and SPH folders accidentally; one of the downsides of the Mod Manager being Windows-only.

That's a pity. Hopefully they adapt their code for the unix file system.

I want to do some more random buildings for people to just generally use as assets. Do we have a set of standards or references to go by, like how wide we should make roads, how big a Kerbal is for doors, and stuff like that? I can't think of a good way to do roads without using really big textures for stuff. Other useful info would be stuff like texture size and polycount info, I have never done anything for Unity before so it's kind of all guesswork for me. Basically what I'm asking about is kind of like a design FAQ.

First rule of KerbTown: Go nuts.

There are no 'standard' assets distributed by me. Sorry. :)

Kerbals are roughly 1 meter tall.

Can i use this to put roads on the Mun to various Kethane deposits?

Yes. You can place these objects on any celestial you want.

The next update is just under going some testing then I'll push the release through (probably some time tomorrow).

Two new notable features are:

- Per save/scenario statics.

- Animation control for time of day objects (lights when it's dark).

I am also working on two new pieces of stock content (as well as updating the Eve EE) that will be coming in a future update.

There will be a new very large ruin to explore. As a part of that project I will be showing off the upcoming Level of Detail implementation. Which handles level of detail on multiple descendant objects of your root static objects.

There are a bunch more changes which I will post in the change log on release.

Thank you everyone for the support developing this mod. I will ensure to continue it's growth! :)

Can someone please give me a really long run way? I would also like to have it textured well
Greys one is a nice runway, it's several pages back - but worth looking at.
how do you build things with this plugin? ive seen people make arches and trains with this, So how do you create things like that with this plugin?
I've read the manual, but i can only place the launchpads. Is there a seperate download for roads and things?

Chapter 2 of the manual goes over what you need to do to get your objects in-game.

If you can create a part for KSP then you can create a static object for KSP. It is almost an identical procedure, and the rest is also covered in the manual.

You need to be able to model your own objects to put into the game.

Edited by Razchek

The next update is just under going some testing then I'll push the release through (probably some time tomorrow).

Two new notable features are:

- Per save/scenario statics.

- Animation control for time of day objects (lights when it's dark).

Kerbin City and others will look splendid with abundant orange street lights, using that volatile alkali metal, eksplodium.

I read the manual and did everything as instructed but I can't get it to save anything , I clicked save and then everything is lost the next time I get into flight scene. It didn't even chance the launch site name in the cfg file

Got it working, I think it has problems with space, I removed all spaces from all names and it worked. Awesome! now I have a bigger launchpad.

Edited by 1096bimu

@1096bimu: Have you reloaded either the database or the game before the next flight scene as per instruction? :)

- Didn't read the edit: Good work finding the issue, spaces have not caused any for me - but some names are not acceptable ('LaunchPad' or 'Runway' are two examples).

If you could provide me the KSP_Data/output_log.txt file I can see if I can determine what the issue was.

Edited by Razchek

I'm having the same problem, I tried both reloading the database and restarting the game and it won't save.
Okay.. I had this problem yesterday also, but It was something in Unity that went wrong with the model it WAS NOT Kerbtown. After much stuffing around I recompiled the model and re-imported after changing some of my colliders and it worked OK.Why this happens I don't know, but on the odd occasion I will add a box collider to a part, and even tho the part is scale 1, the box collider spawns massive! like 5 x the size of the part it is supposed to be referencing. Thats what happened to me, the collider was out of whack and that was causing kerbtown not to save the config (I dont know why the two are related) but they were, and after fixing that collider and reimporting, it all went absolutely fine

Update 0.13 Beta Released

• Added native module: TimeOfDayController for those lovely night-time emissive animations.
  • Added feature: per-persistence instances for scenarios and saves.
  • Added a "Initialize" button which will call OnFirstSetup() on the static object when clicked.
  • Fixed script reference destructor.
  • Other minor changes and fixes.

I really do need to update the manual at this point.. Something I don't like doing lol. But i'll get onto it soon.

TimeOfDayController module is as follows:

MODULE
{
namespace = KerbTown
name = TimeOfDayController
}

It currently supports only one animation per static object instance. This animation will be played depending on the position of the Kerbin Sun.

The animation time line is animated from start to finish:

Start of Animation: 0% - Complete Daylight.

End of Animation: 100% - Complete Darkness.

How you transition in between all this is up to you - play around with your keyframes and curves until you are happy.

The per-persistence feature is undocumented and you should not use it until I have documented it in the manual. You've been warned.

If you are feeling brave then backup your saves first.

The initialize button you will see now in the Existing Assets window is for sub-mod developers. I will document this later also. :)

New video and Easter Egg coming soon.

There are bound to be bugs. Please report them following the bug report steps from the first post.

Edited by Razchek