[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

Pretty much. I might take a look at it to see what the issues between 0.21 and 0.22-0.23 are to figure out if I can get it working without too much trouble. It might just need a recompile for 0.23, or it might need a complete rewrite. I'll figure out what can be and what needs to be done after that quick test.

I recompiled it, didn't work. Needs a total rewrite.

That's unfortunate, I'll take a look at it and see what needs to be rewritten for it to work.

I know Snjo tried to update it. Try and hit him up to see how that's going.

EDIT: Just tested it, Snjo's update works in .23! Here it is: http://www./download/j6...TownPlugin.zip

EDIT 2: Selecting a launch site does not work for some reason. Just spams errors and flings parts out at insane speeds. But it places static objects properly in the world, so you just have to fly there from ksc

Edited by ahd1601

Raz's original code is here: https://github.com/HubsElectrical

The recompiled version just removed the launch selection buttons from the SPH/VAB, and fixed some reference errors after the KSP dll updates.

For launch site selection I now use the Firespitter Water Launch module (still only in the pre-release), that lets you save and load spawn point anywhere on Kerbin. (source) (FS pre-release)

It could theoretically be rolled into KerbTown, and would be almost as good as the original system, but it's a lot of GUI work. The way I read the original system it seemed it should still have worked, and the fact that it didn't indicated to me that something in KSP changed in such a way that it would need a redesign. But it was hard to find all the code, and I never tried to alter it.

I personally imported several buildings into my 0.23 modding installation, placement worked, but spawn points didn't.

That actually doesn't mean too much to me, I always have Hyperedit, so the mod works perfect for me... excluding launch sites, but I don't care about that to be honest.

• 1 month later...

I'm now working on a fix for the broken launch-site feature... It seems to be something related to the new launch site management of stock KSP.

But i'm a bit confused about the license, is source-code-editing and redistribution disallowed because the OP stated "all right reserved"?

I'm now working on a fix for the broken launch-site feature... It seems to be something related to the new launch site management of stock KSP.

But i'm a bit confused about the license, is source-code-editing and redistribution disallowed because the OP stated "all right reserved"?

Pretty much. I worked on a the Kerbtown extension part of the code with Raz, so that one you can do whatever you want with, but he never released his rights to the main code as far as I know. The most I ever did to that was recompile it with the launch button disabled.

Pretty much. I worked on a the Kerbtown extension part of the code with Raz, so that one you can do whatever you want with, but he never released his rights to the main code as far as I know. The most I ever did to that was recompile it with the launch button disabled.

Does that mean I can redistribute the modified version with his license + credit to my own portion or not? as you also disabled the launch button which is inside the main code part right?

and TBH I don't care about my credit that much, i mostly hope that we can use that feature again.

EDIT: and i found that your source-code link on mediafire is invalid...

Edited by HoneyFox

The source code is here: https://github.com/HubsElectrical

(I never use mediafire, so that must have been someone else's link)

As for the license, it is listed as

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/ :

NoDerivatives  If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

I will send Ryan a mail and see if he will alter the license. No one has spoken to him in ages though, so no promises.

For better or worse, KSP modding, at least on this forum, requires a license to be given. This avoids rip offs, but also means a popular mod is dead in the water if a modder goes dark. The only legal thing you can do then is either to modify for personal use, create a new mod that can reuse the same format for statics, or get the license changed by the author.

The source code is here: https://github.com/HubsElectrical

(I never use mediafire, so that must have been someone else's link)

As for the license, it is listed as

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/ :

NoDerivatives  If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

I will send Ryan a mail and see if he will alter the license. No one has spoken to him in ages though, so no promises.

For better or worse, KSP modding, at least on this forum, requires a license to be given. This avoids rip offs, but also means a popular mod is dead in the water if a modder goes dark. The only legal thing you can do then is either to modify for personal use, create a new mod that can reuse the same format for statics, or get the license changed by the author.

Alright, at least i should first test my modification and make it run on my own game, after that perhaps i can send pull-request to him.

The recompiled version just removed the launch selection buttons from the SPH/VAB, and fixed some reference errors after the KSP dll updates.

I'm referring this, and is wondering what changes need to be done to fix these reference errors.

It just meant replacing the reference dlls in Visual Studio, so it was using updated KSP code when compiling.

There were issues with some things freaking out when referencing thing like surface speed and possibly other stuff. I didn't see those errors in KT myself, but knew they were there from other compiled dlls (firespitter etc), and therefore issues might arise under certain conditions with dlls compiled with old references.

Got a response from Ryan :)

Hey.

I figured that would be a good idea. Our current project is another 4 months until our next milestone. Not enough time to dedicate to what I want to. :<

Good luck! License is now MIT.

LICENSE

--

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright © 2014 Ryan Irecki

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy

of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal

in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights

to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell

copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is

furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all

copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR

IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,

FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE

AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER

LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,

OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE

SOFTWARE.

Great! I will do some further test and later release a build which fixes the launch pad issue.

Oh and the requirement for the pad model will be slightly different then. :)

And as always, a screenshot to show the current progress :)

screenshot99.png

Edited by HoneyFox

Well it would be better if Ryan can take some time to change license info either on github or in the OP of this thread. :)

He did update the readme on github with the new license.

Alright, the fixed version is now released. Hope that there's no big issues inside. :P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfssc2u341zp58a/KerbTown%20%28fixed%20for%20v0.23%29.zip

Source-code is on GitHub. And it follows Ryan's MIT license.

USAGE

Basically it's same as the old KerbTown.

One tiny change is about the "Mark as launch site" operation:

When you have created a static object from the asset library, you click the Mark as Launch Site button, a small dialog will appear and there're now two boxes for you to enter. The first one is the launch site name, the second is the hierarchy "path" of the spawn point transform. So authors of a launch-site model needs to provide that "path" to users as well.

A launch site model will have its own root transform and childNodes (childNodes might have their childNodes as well), if the spawn transform is the root transform itself, use "./" as the path; if it's a child transform of the root and it's named "spawnPoint", use "spawnPoint" as the path; for a "grandchild" node, the path might be something like "launchPad/spawnPoint". Hope that you can get the point.
:)

Edited by HoneyFox

is there any reason you can't have a key in the cfg file specify the transform, or iterate over the gameobjects and use the first one with a given name like "spawnPoint" so it's automatic?