[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

Aha, ok, thanks for help, I'll cut the runway into little pieces. Except I'll need lotsa chunks for my 7000m runway

Wow...what the heck are you launching needs a 7km runway? And I thought I launched some oversized stuff lol

I tested a couple approaches with the stock KSP buoyancy... Part buoyancy definitely has no relation to buoyant force.

I am going to have to override the part buoyancy. Preferably for the entire vessel, if that is not possible your FSbuoyancy could do it. I'll go back through the posts that you made on this and see how this could be done.

Sadly, my coding skills are very lacking, so the greatest issue would probably be figuring out a way to convince the whole vessel to do buoyancy a different way.

Would somebody please create a suitable flat disc which i could use as a launching platform? Just a simple flat plate, colour or texture totally unimportant. 10 or 20 meters in diameter should be sufficient. I have absolutely NO unity and or Blender skills.

Edited by TheCardinal

I was having a lot of walking problems with my runway, which is 2Km long and the surface is composed of 16 tris. I eventually solved them by removing the separate collider, since it doesn't need to be convex I can just use the visible mesh as the collider; and putting that mesh immediately within the PartTools gameobject (also repeatedly checking that I had set it to Layer: Terrain, even though KerbTown forces that now it does seem to help)

I also had a lot of problems with invisible walls that shouldn't exist because I was using multiple separate colliders

KrDZOXx.png

the mesh's origin is at the far end.

Needs a way to change the size of the models ingame. Im always getting my scale wrong

yes, I've just realized the "rescale factor" in .cfg doesn't really work. I have to do the rescaling back in Unity

Would somebody please create a suitable flat disc which i could use as a launching platform? Just a simple flat plate, colour or texture totally unimportant. 10 or 20 meters in diameter should be sufficient. I have absolutely NO unity and or Blender skills.

Here you go.

KT Update is still being fine tuned, hopefully not too far off. :)

Thank you, Razcheck!

I've been experimenting with it now and ....... i've corrupted KSP with it. I can't remove the last entry or the four blank (unusable) entries.

In what file is the data written? (Perhaps i can repair it manually).

FREE BEER

Now that i have your attention i'd like to ask a few questions

i was thinking of creating a space dock for use with kerbtown so would this work :

making it exactly at the Geo-sync altitude thus when the physics kick in (and assuming it was held down with clams) when it is release would it already be in orbit ?

thanks in advance and sorry about the false advertisement, i just wanted to get your attention :)

As you suggested, it looks like the best way to control the camera underwater is to remake it in a process similar to yours. Can you recommend how I could go about it? I can detect when I am underwater, but then I would have to make the switch. Any tips would be appreciated!

making it exactly at the Geo-sync altitude thus when the physics kick in (and assuming it was held down with clams) when it is release would it already be in orbit ?

I think you need to give it the appropriate Orbit class? https://github.com/Anatid/XML-Documentation-for-the-KSP-API/blob/master/Orbit.cs

@TheCardinal: You can manually delete instances by opening the config file and removing all the nodes that are titled "Instances".

@germalto The answer is you can. But not the way you were hoping.

First you will need to set the root object to be a non kinematic rigidbody and change it's velocity and angular velocity to match that of an existing vessel orbiting the planet with a similar mass.

If you define a RIGIDBODY Module with no mass variable it will be set to the default value of 1.

Bring on the 7 day later release update.

This brings us to version 0.12!

No new stock object content has been added in this revision, how-ever there are more still planned for the future. Including one more exclusive beta Easter Egg which will be found on Minmus.

The Mun EE will be removed in the next update. The Eve EE will still remain in it's puddle of water through to the stable release. How-ever during the course of the beta, the contents of the Easter Egg may change.

Version 0.12 Available!

There are several changes that have been made:

Update 0.12 - Several Changes

- Added the class: StaticObjectModule which can be extended by referencing the KerbTown library in your projects.
|-> Provides virtual methods to override for Saving & Loading Settings when KSP invokes the save or load callback.
|-> Provides a virtual method to override for cleaning up your references before script destruction.
|-> Provides a reference to the instantiated static object's properties.
- Added isYielding parameter for config files. You can manually set this to 0 to remove your object from the editor list.
- Added object scaling to the GUI and StaticObject parameters. You should use this for testing sizes out, rather than a permanent setting.
- Added the ability to rename your Launch Sites when marking them in the KT GUI.
- Added a module list which contains all non-native modules added to the static object component for reference.
- Added screen message to the vessel editors for when a Launch Site is selected (to better support the user experience of the new design).
- Added a new native component: Ladder - which allows a static object to become climb-able should static objects meet the existing KSP ladder configuration.
- Added visibility range as an adjustable variable to the KT GUI.
- Added support for reading and writing settings to the current save folder. (Extensions.ReadSetting, Extensions.WriteSetting, Extensions.ReadNode, Extensions.WriteNode).
- Changed the KT GUI layout and added a few extra GUI objects.
- Changed default behaviour for remembering launch sites: If the last launch site was set to "LaunchPad" or "Runway" it will now reset to the default for the active vessel editor.
- Changed the behaviour of custom modules to be enabled only when the active vessel distance is inside the visibility range of the object.
- Changed the positioning and design of the GUI button present in the vessel editors.
- Fixed a bug which sometimes let PQSCity reference destroyed objects.
- Fixed a bug which would sometimes cause celestial bodies to "disappear".
- Fixed a bug which was trying to read 'name' and 'namespace' from added modules as members of the module.
- Several other bug fixes and minor changes were also made.

I will be updating the manual over the next few days at my convenience, as well as adding to some of the implementations presented in this update.

Resources were skipped for this update (and all future updates*), because it occurred to me that resources should be scripted manually to achieve the effect you were after.

Snjo's fuel pump is a perfect example of this, I hope to see more releases from him soon! :)

I do how-ever have plans for "docking" vessels onto static objects.

*This may change depending on the demand for a native resources module.

Also, sadly - the source code license (only the source code) has changed during the beta of this project. Now if you wish to do anything at all with the KerbTown source code, you must first obtain my permission.

This does not affect your ability to distribute the content you create with the KerbTown plugin as you would have previously. The CC BY-ND 3.0 license still applies to the KerbTown.dll

Please keep that in mind and thank you for understanding.

As always, if there are any bugs, features, suggestions, comments, questions - anything at all you'd like to present me or the community about KerbTown you can post here. I do read every post.

Edited by Razchek

I apparently got my underwater camera working just under the wire - now that your license has changed! I used modified, previously released KerbTown source code to make it work yesterday.

GY6ZtPO.jpg

I probably will be going off on my own direction now. I'd like to reference your source code in the future, but I can ask on a case-by-case basis if needed.

I apparently got my underwater camera working just under the wire - now that your license has changed! I used modified, previously released KerbTown source code to make it work yesterday.

http://i.imgur.com/GY6ZtPO.jpg

I probably will be going off on my own direction now. I'd like to reference your source code in the future, but I can ask on a case-by-case basis if needed.

Edit: Better suited I PM you.

You have my support. :)

Edited by Razchek

Implementing KerbTown Statics as a gameplay mechanic rather than something to base your gameplay around is certainly possible; but I argue that it's not really KerbTown's role. It's such a large set of decisions in how you choose to limit the player, and the features themselves will be an amount of work that is likely not small. However, with a certain set of interfaces it would become very simple for any mod to tell KerbTown "Put this here", and provide their own independent mechanics on how the player is allowed to place statics within the world; and even their own GUI if they want.

errrrr. The latest version of this shows this.

http://www./?xk3kra6arvssh1v

i updated the plugin and everytime i launch it shows this.......

It doesnt even show the select launch thing at all

Thank you for the report. Update 0.12.2 is now available to resolve the issues you were experiencing.

Hey Razchek, can there be any support for building static objects with this? IE deliever 100 units of Kethane to a location and then it will spawn a building there?
Implementing KerbTown Statics as a gameplay mechanic rather than something to base your gameplay around is certainly possible; but I argue that it's not really KerbTown's role. It's such a large set of decisions in how you choose to limit the player, and the features themselves will be an amount of work that is likely not small. However, with a certain set of interfaces it would become very simple for any mod to tell KerbTown "Put this here", and provide their own independent mechanics on how the player is allowed to place statics within the world; and even their own GUI if they want.

I would love to provide the ability for players to "Put XModel Here" directly from a module. I will see about implementing this. :)

Edited by Razchek