[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

You know what, you're right. Kerbal rovers suck, there is no point in building a road if all your cars flip over 50km/h tops.

How to fix that is easy though. To flip one side of the craft has to rise upwards. It can do that because wheels only bother to keep the craft off the surface, and not on it. The kerbal engineer thus concludes: we need to mount wheels not only upside up but also upside down. And for good measure upside left and upside right won't hurt either.

My problems with height remain for the time being but it seems you can drive over such imperfections without issues. I also used box colliders for my track, I believe they are much more stable for driving on them.

Effectively clamping the thing to the track. Clever. Speed is still going to be an issue unless you put the crash tolerance on the wheels way up. Especially when it starts vibrating.

Box colliders work well but you may need some overlap on long pieces. KSP's physics has a tendency to see gaps and or/walls where colliders meet exactly. IME.

Ok a new version release: (link is actually the same)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfssc2u341zp58a/KerbTown%20%28fixed%20for%20v0.23%29.zip

Fixed camera,

Add Lat/Lon input,

Launch site modeler should add "DefaultLaunchPadTransform = ..." in cfg files with the spawn point's name in Unity.

Code example:

crashTolerance = 1
maxTemp = 1
breakingForce = 1
breakingTorque = 1
DefaultLaunchPadTransform = spawnPoint

In Unity the hierarchy should look like this:

model // The object that has "PartTools" component
launchPad // Actual model objects are inside this node
spawnPoint // This is the empty transform we need to add

this url not work,can you give me a new one to download a Kerbtown,thank you very much! my email is [email protected]

Edited by technicalfool
Double-post merged.

Lack's KSC++ is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/LacksKerbalSpaceCentre%2B%2Bv2.zip

Be aware that this is not a single model but multiple models so may cause some physics slow down.

If you mean the mod that increases the size of the VAB and SPH, no idea. Never used it.

I use it, it's very handy for building long crafts.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65747-0-23-5-Hangar-Extender-v1-1

Now for some KerbTown gameplay integration - building new sites could cost funds.

That would make the career even more deep. But how would you make the static part(building) buildable and so on?

is kerbtown open source?

it should be as the dev seems to be inactive. this is the best way to place static objects in game, hopefully squad will make something similar to this with extra features (terrain editing,ect).

Is anyone noticing that while under .24 with Kerbtown installed that the launch stability enhancers begin to follow launched craft into orbit? I only noticed this after installing kerb town and ksc++

is kerbtown open source?

it should be as the dev seems to be inactive. this is the best way to place static objects in game, hopefully squad will make something similar to this with extra features (terrain editing,ect).

This is your anwser (2 pages above):

Currently rebuilding the launch-site selector code and tidying up bugs I've found reading through this thread. I do not appreciate the implementation applied by the person who picked up the project. Although sometimes hacking at the code like that to get things working is necessary, so in retrospect I guess I can respect that just a little lol. :)

I also need to set up a new server seeing as the company that was previously hosting all this content has decided to change owners and has since gone downhill. Scams, no customer support, no access to Plesk/cPanel.. etcetera. :\

At this time I have no new features to announce.

While HoneyFox was putting out a version, Raz altered the license for the source code to an MIT license, meaning you can do what you want with it.

All KSP plugins are required to be Open Source, but they are still copyrighted, and only grant you free use through the conditions in their license.

As for the rest of the material in the mod, they are not covered by the MIT license in my interpretation, since the OP only states the copyright.

Repository

License

I tried using the search function within this thread, and did not seem to find any results (hopefully someone doesn't mind answering it (most likely again)).

In the VAB, there is a KerbTown button (the orange button) that allows you to choose what location to launch from. Is there anyway to get rid of this/move the button?

Edited by Darkblade48

Is there more up-to-date documentation than the manual in the original post? I don't think it's been updated since the plugin was first made. For example, it says "1. Extract the KerbTown archives (KerbTownPlugin.zip / KerbTownContent.zip) into your KSP directory. That’s where KSP.exe resides. That’s it, now you’ve installed KerbTown. :)" But this is not correct, and hasn't been for a long time. The plugin needs to be extracted to the GameData directory, not the KSP directory.

It also seems rather lacking, unless there really is nothing else to it. It's a modder's resource, but I don't see how modders are supposed to use it unless you force players to manually place the static assets (which I *know* isn't true, the mods that use KerbTown work out of the box, but I don't see where that's documented).

Is there any kind of API for plugins to interact with KerbTown dynamically?

Is there more up-to-date documentation than the manual in the original post? I don't think it's been updated since the plugin was first made. For example, it says "1. Extract the KerbTown archives (KerbTownPlugin.zip / KerbTownContent.zip) into your KSP directory. That’s where KSP.exe resides. That’s it, now you’ve installed KerbTown. :)" But this is not correct, and hasn't been for a long time. The plugin needs to be extracted to the GameData directory, not the KSP directory.

It also seems rather lacking, unless there really is nothing else to it. It's a modder's resource, but I don't see how modders are supposed to use it unless you force players to manually place the static assets (which I *know* isn't true, the mods that use KerbTown work out of the box, but I don't see where that's documented).

Is there any kind of API for plugins to interact with KerbTown dynamically?

The positions are stored in the static's cfg file when they are placed, meaning the maker can deliver the static with some instances already defined.

You can also add modules to them in much the same way as parts. They are regular MonoBehaviour classes. They do not support persistent values though.

Check the gas pump in this old package and its code here

The positions are stored in the static's cfg file when they are placed, meaning the maker can deliver the static with some instances already defined.

You can also add modules to them in much the same way as parts. They are regular MonoBehaviour classes. They do not support persistent values though.

Check the gas pump in this old package and its code here

Thanks for the info, Snjo.

So from what I'm understanding here, there is no way to allow another mod to dynamically place structures at run-time, and even if there were, those structures cannot be save-specific, they have to be install-specific. Is that right?

What I'd like to do is create a mod that allows players to dynamically place certain structures when certain conditions are met, and give those structures behaviors or persistent values. Will KerbTown be of no help to me?

You could of course do the same kinds of things KerbTown does with you own mod, and since it's MIT license, you could also get some pointers from Raz's code to do it. I just warn you though, that for me at least, the code was almost indecipherable with its partial classes etc.

Before KerbTown came out I was experimenting with creating such a mod myself (hence that file I linked being named FS Housing Programme), loading models from the game's database, and placing them at a location. I immediately dropped that when I saw the complexity and versatility of Raz's work.

Now KerbTown does miss some things of course, like save-specific instances and persistent values. And it probably also has a lot of features you don't need to make if you aren't aiming it at other modders.

edit: for ideas on loading models, see this, and for ideas on using coordinates, see this

Edited by Snjo

You could of course do the same kinds of things KerbTown does with you own mod, and since it's MIT license, you could also get some pointers from Raz's code to do it. I just warn you though, that for me at least, the code was almost indecipherable with its partial classes etc.

Before KerbTown came out I was experimenting with creating such a mod myself (hence that file I linked being named FS Housing Programme), loading models from the game's database, and placing them at a location. I immediately dropped that when I saw the complexity and versatility of Raz's work.

Now KerbTown does miss some things of course, like save-specific instances and persistent values. And it probably also has a lot of features you don't need to make if you aren't aiming it at other modders.

edit: for ideas on loading models, see this, and for ideas on using coordinates, see this

Thanks Snjo! I'll let you know what I figure out.

ok i've read the manual and still don't fully understand how the hell to make launchsites on kerbin (like the launchpad in the old KSC) a "spawnpoint" for my rockets/planes. does anyone have a little simpler guide to this?

or is there something in this mod that you can just select a point in the game and make a spawnpoint/launchsite?

ok i've read the manual and still don't fully understand how the hell to make launchsites on kerbin (like the launchpad in the old KSC) a "spawnpoint" for my rockets/planes. does anyone have a little simpler guide to this?

or is there something in this mod that you can just select a point in the game and make a spawnpoint/launchsite?

Are you confused as to how you need to set up a model to make it usable as a spawn point? I have a runway I made for my own uses that I can send to you with some instructions, if you like to see that. The official manual is severely outdated and the version that works with 0.23 and 0.24 uses a different system than the original.

Are you confused as to how you need to set up a model to make it usable as a spawn point? I have a runway I made for my own uses that I can send to you with some instructions, if you like to see that. The official manual is severely outdated and the version that works with 0.23 and 0.24 uses a different system than the original.

i would very much like that. i tired making an invisable object as a spwanpoint which i could place anywhere but that just didn't work for me.

@ AlphaAsh: thanks for that i tested it out but i only want something that i can freely place anywhere on kerbin to act as a spawn point for my crafts. great mod though. keep it up.

Edited by AntiMatter001