[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

i would very much like that. i tired making an invisable object as a spwanpoint which i could place anywhere but that just didn't work for me.

Alright, I'll send you a PM with a little sample UnityPackage that you can experiment with sometime today.

i would very much like that. i tired making an invisable object as a spwanpoint which i could place anywhere but that just didn't work for me.

@ AlphaAsh: thanks for that i tested it out but i only want something that i can freely place anywhere on kerbin to act as a spawn point for my crafts. great mod though. keep it up.

Here it is: KSC2 a dummy spawnpoint for the KSC2 launchpad, or this one for the Kerbin City Intl. Airport.

They are just a small mere untextured plane with a spawnpoint a few unis above (ie: the plane have to be under the ground to make the spawnpoint near ground level), both can be moved using Kerbtown UI.

Maybe I should make a better one with a kind of target texture + an arrow to point to the +z.

Here it is: KSC2 a dummy spawnpoint for the KSC2 launchpad, or this one for the Kerbin City Intl. Airport.

They are just a small mere untextured plane with a spawnpoint a few unis above (ie: the plane have to be under the ground to make the spawnpoint near ground level), both can be moved using Kerbtown UI.

Maybe I should make a better one with a kind of target texture + an arrow to point to the +z.

thanks alot! this is what i wanted and yes it took my a comple of attepts but i would highly suggest a target on the model because i repeatedly just destroyed my craft when i tried telelporting to it.

@OrbitusII: thanks that'll get me into modding. i need a new hobby since my RL modeling has had a shocking stop (due to the shop burning down) so thanks!

@OrbitusII: thanks that'll get me into modding. i need a new hobby since my RL modeling has had a shocking stop (due to the shop burning down) so thanks!

No problem, I just sent it to you so that you can take a look at it. :)

Very sorry about the shop burning down, hopefully everyone's ok. :)

thanks alot! this is what i wanted and yes it took my a comple of attepts but i would highly suggest a target on the model because i repeatedly just destroyed my craft when i tried telelporting to it.

Take a look first (too late I guess :) ) at the default location provided, it may help you to choose a proper height to avoid "spawnstruction" (destruction on spawning) of your vessels ;). I launch several thing on KSC2 without any issue (rover, rockets, plane on launch clamps)

Same for me.?.? What / where is the basic download that you are using for 64 bit? And, which updates / patches are you using.

Thanks for any help, i would really like to get this up and running....

DrTedAstro.

Same for me.?.? What / where is the basic download that you are using for 64 bit? And, which updates / patches are you using.

Thanks for any help, i would really like to get this up and running....

DrTedAstro.

I dont exactly remember where I downloaded but I think from KSC++ by LackLuster.KSP 0.24.2

A few thoughts on KerbTown and KSP as a game. At the moment, it's very much a sandbox mod. You can plop structures anywhere you like, and for those with spawn points, launch from them.

With First Contract, we now have finances. Thus, launching from different locations shouldn't cost the same, just as recovery doesn't return the same funds. This could take the form of a tax on the cost of a craft, or the mass.

Taking this a step further, this can be applied to structures. Rather than being part of the scenery, they become objectives. "If I earn enough funds, I can build that facility at X location" (with costs being many times greater for sites on other bodies than Kerbin). This would give launch and recovery sites in other places, and reduce the drudgery of launching and returning to KSC each time. It's a luxury one must earn, though! Different facilities could give different benefits too.

I realise KerbTown hasn't been developed much in a while, but I'm hopeful those interested and capable of the kind of ideas above will see this. Food for thought, if nothing else?

Thanks so much for this. I have been itching for the ability to launch from KSC2 for a while.

I just added a patch to KerbTown to prevent the 750+ ms / Krakensbane / Timewarp lag issue that KerbinSide has been having. Feel free to grab my updated version here.

If you find any issues don't hesitate to tell me so I can fix them!

Edited by medsouz

So I've installed the kerbtown update into my KSP directory but it doesn't seem to be working. I unzipped the Kerbtown (fixed for 0.23) file directly into the directory (where the KSP.exe is). So the folder that is present there is called Kerbtown (fixed for 0.23).

Is this wrong?

EDIT: your install instructions are waay off. 1st you need to install the github Kerbtown folder into the Gamedata folder. THEN patch the kerbtown folder with the updated dload. After I did all of that, the mod started working.

Edited by TeeGee

So I've just been playing around with putting things in places and I'm not entirely sure where the info is actually being stored. Would be very happy if someone could enlighten me please.

If I place an object in game then it appears in the KTinstances file in the save folder, but it still appears in other saves on the same install when I load them, so it must be going somewhere else as well? Where? It's not the cfg in gamedata I checked that. In which case what is the KTinstances file for?

If I make an object a launchpad when I place it it doesn't appear in the launchpad list when I reload. But if I copy the node in KTinstances in the save folder over to the cfg in gamedata then it does appear. So launch locataions are being read from gamedata when the game loads?

I just added a patch to KerbTown to prevent the 750+ ms / Krakensbane / Timewarp lag issue that KerbinSide has been having. Feel free to grab my updated version here.

If you find any issues don't hesitate to tell me so I can fix them!

"AnimateOnClick" doesn't seem work with your patch. You can grab my Flood Lights from here as an example. I'll have to stick with 0.23 for now.

Also, if I may be so bold, can you please focus on the issue with the left-over launch clamps? This affects users and should have a higher priority than "developer convenience" :-)

Thanks for working on that plugin!

This mod looks awesome, but my problem is, i want a base, but don't want to have to get resources to the base all the time (or mine, as with some other mods).

So my question is, is there a way to have infinite resources on your bases?

(Sorry for my 'english)

This mod looks awesome, but my problem is, i want a base, but don't want to have to get resources to the base all the time (or mine, as with some other mods).

So my question is, is there a way to have infinite resources on your bases?

Mods for KerbTown don't require resources. They just add buildings and stuff into the landscape.

"AnimateOnClick" doesn't seem work with your patch. You can grab my Flood Lights from here as an example. I'll have to stick with 0.23 for now.

Also, if I may be so bold, can you please focus on the issue with the left-over launch clamps? This affects users and should have a higher priority than "developer convenience" :-)

Thanks for working on that plugin!

I'm actually currently writing a KerbTown clone from scratch which I'm building from the ground up with object caching in mind to prevent some of the weird issues like AnimateOnClick not working (and so I can stop butchering Razcheck's code to make mine work). Hopefully I'll hopefully have a release soon and I'll make sure that AnimateOnClick is working. :D

This is the first time I've heard of the left over launch clamps issue, I'll look into fixing that as well.

I'm actually currently writing a KerbTown clone from scratch which I'm building from the ground up with object caching in mind to prevent some of the weird issues like AnimateOnClick not working (and so I can stop butchering Razcheck's code to make mine work). Hopefully I'll hopefully have a release soon and I'll make sure that AnimateOnClick is working. :D

This is the first time I've heard of the left over launch clamps issue, I'll look into fixing that as well.

Sounds promising!

As for the issue; launch a rocket with launch clamps (and crash it in the ground or something), go back to the space center and launch another rocket at the same site. You'll see the old clamps are still there, causing trouble. The launchpad doesn't get cleared properly like the KSC one does.

Sounds great, it would be great to have also the TimeOfDayController thing which seems to doesn't work on current Kerbtown version (razcheck wrote a few words about it in his thread but never see one single building with this) and the launch clamps issue is quite a "legend" :) As opposite to stock launch site, Kerbtown is a bit lazy and don't do the clean-up for us.

There is also the camera issue: after adding a building camera move back and forth pulsing like a heart (I know it sounds weird, it's weirder to suffer from this issue :) )

A nice feature would be auto-align to the ground (set thing to ground level by default).

I'd love to see you get it working, I've wanted to make my own launch sites and airports (kinda like Kerbin City's) but Kerbtown's lack of updates has really put a damper on that.

There is also the camera issue: after adding a building camera move back and forth pulsing like a heart (I know it sounds weird, it's weirder to suffer from this issue :) )...

Deselect the item in available assets and the camera snaps back to the vehicle/kerbal. That should eliminate the shakes. If it doesn't, switch through camera modes back to Auto.

I'd love to see you get it working, I've wanted to make my own launch sites and airports (kinda like Kerbin City's) but Kerbtown's lack of updates has really put a damper on that.

Hasn't been a problem and I've been pumping out new launch locations in KerbinSide for a couple of months now.

Edited by AlphaAsh