0.21 update details

kahlzun

It doesn't matter where a wheel is mounted. Torque is Torque. If you place it on a 20m arm or at the C of G, it still produces exactly the same amount of Torque for the power used.

You're thinking force by distance being Torque, which isn't the case here. Reaction wheels just make outright Torque, so the placement means nothing, aside from which axis is effected.

I know that torque is torque, but as far as I know, torque is a force that can spin or stop your craft. And when a force is applied to an elongated object, the further away from it's center of mass that force is applied, the more it has power in itself and the more it can affect the said object.

I know that torque is torque, but as far as I know, torque produces a force that can spin or stop your craft. And when a force is applied to an elongated object, the further away from it's center of mass that force is applied, the more it has power in itself and the more it can affect the said object.

No, The torque on the object as a whole is a flat number, wherever the reaction wheels are. position of the reaction wheels only effects forces internal to the structure. The behavior as a whole remains the same.

No, The torque on the object as a whole is a flat number, wherever the reaction wheels are. position of the reaction wheels only effects forces internal to the structure. The behavior as a whole remains the same.

Well then seems as I might've been mistaken. Mind providing a few links tot that information, this intrigues me and I'd like to read more about those mechanics :D

I don't really have any links per say, its just something I've learned doing Solid Mechanics (Structures) and Attitude Dynamics and Control as I designed a reaction wheel based system for a very low earth orbiting earth observation satellite. I didn't place position any of the wheels in the design, but only choose the product, axis, and how many were placed - since it didn't matter where they go, except from a structural and weight balancing perspective. Anyway those are two subjects I mentioned are neat places to look into for more information on how moments behave.

I don't really have any links per say, its just something I've learned doing Solid Mechanics (Structures) and Attitude Dynamics and Control as I designed a reaction wheel based system for a very low earth orbiting earth observation satellite. I didn't place position any of the wheels in the design, but only choose the product, axis, and how many were placed - since it didn't matter where they go, except from a structural and weight balancing perspective. Anyway those are two subjects I mentioned are neat places to look into for more information on how moments behave.

Alright thanks I'll probably give it a Google later on today when I come back from work :) (if .21 isn't out heh).

From the comments to C7's blog post on 25 June:

- The reaction wheels are modules. You can easily add or remove the module from an existing part or command pod. Right now the command pods are just a combination of three modules. ModuleSAS, Module Command and Module Reaction wheel.

- You can think of SAS as one thing now. There's not a distinction between sas and asas anymore. It's just a matter of if your vessel has access to a Stability Assistance computer or not.

The way I understand that, SAS is just a computer that lets you turn on a heading hold that will use whatever control mechanisms the craft has to maintain your heading. If you have RCS and it's on, it'll use that. Control surfaces in atmosphere, it'll use those. Any part, including a command pod or independent reaction wheel part, it'll use those.

So... about this... Maybe .21 will be released in ~1 wk?

There's no way Skunky can know. There'S a reason the team doesn't give out ETAs on the release date, it's because they really don't know when it'll be complete.

It could be released tomorrow as far as we know.

Wouldn't be nice if it was released tomorrow.

i really doubt it at this time, according to the KSP weekly they are still fixing bugs the experimental team found then i'm sure the new build will hit them again before release and not only that harvester is attempting to write a upgrade algorithym to possible save some game saves from being wiped and stated it was still being tested. I have a feeling it's going to atleast be another week now unfortunately. I guess i will play through the Walking Dead game series while waiting :)

So... about this... Maybe .21 will be released in ~1 wk?

You could read that as a confirmation that it's going to be released this week. But you could also read it as rhetorical question about building skills of a new player and his/her attachment to it.

i really doubt it at this time, according to the KSP weekly they are still fixing bugs the experimental team found then i'm sure the new build will hit them again before release and not only that harvester is attempting to write a upgrade algorithym to possible save some game saves from being wiped and stated it was still being tested. I have a feeling it's going to atleast be another week now unfortunately. I guess i will play through the Walking Dead game series while waiting :)

Doesn't mean, we have no idea when that information was gathered, as far as we know it could've been last Friday. They'll still be bugfixing the day before the release too, it's not relevant. And doesn't mean that Harv's tool (if he succeeds) will even be there at the same time as the the release.

Doesn't mean, we have no idea when that information was gathered, as far as we know it could've been last Friday. They'll still be bugfixing the day before the release too, it's not relevant. And doesn't mean that Harv's tool (if he succeeds) will even be there at the same time as the the release.

hope you are right as i can't wait, been holding off doing anything with KSP until it is out. We can only wait and see!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.