All craft from my Constellation mission vid

Hi Katateochi,

I just found your amazing video and searched for your craft files. Do you have any plans to upgrade them to .22? I would love to test your craft files on a stable ksp build.

Yes I do, I've just been a bit side tracked by career mode and doing career mode in strange ways. It's been quite refreshing playing 100% stock but I fully intend to pour a large bucket of mods back into my game before long. When I get back to the mods I'll update them, I've not even looked at them in 0.22 yet. I guess if you have up-to-date mods then they'll prob be broken :( hey ho, that's the life of a mod addict! I do really look forward to the day when KSP is v1 and mods don't have to change at such a rate. Right now its like rockets just rust and fall apart unless you constantly maintain them!

Yes I do, I've just been a bit side tracked by career mode and doing career mode in strange ways. It's been quite refreshing playing 100% stock but I fully intend to pour a large bucket of mods back into my game before long. When I get back to the mods I'll update them, I've not even looked at them in 0.22 yet. I guess if you have up-to-date mods then they'll prob be broken :( hey ho, that's the life of a mod addict! I do really look forward to the day when KSP is v1 and mods don't have to change at such a rate. Right now its like rockets just rust and fall apart unless you constantly maintain them!

Fantastic news. Please let me know when you get around to it. You may add me to your contacts or send me a PM. I will be following this thread. By the way It is the best mission I have ever seen. I usually do not download any craft files. I like to make my own, but since I saw what you did, I do have to experience your craft files for my self.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you post a craft file of just your Duna assent module? For testing...:sticktongue:

Do you mean just the little 3 man module that took off from the crew lander? I'll see what I can do, I'm not at home currently so it will be a couple days. I've also not updated these craft for 0.22 yet.

It's a really simple craft, you can chuck it together in a couple minutes. It uses the 3 man cupola pod from KSPX and a single short grey fuel tank from KW rocketry. Then it has two of the low profile engines from nova punch, they've got 75 thrust and a high ISP. There are two small cube struts turned so they sit inside the fuel tank and then engines connect to them. It also has a small docking port under the fuel tank, between the engines and a standard one on top of the crew pod. 2 long RCS tanks from KSPX in the free space under the tank and 4 standard thrusters around the COM. It also has the remote tech antenna to enable it to be remote controlled when unmanned, though you could just put a probe core on somewhere instead.

That's just from memory so I might have missed some things out, oh yeah, 4 parachutes and some solar panels. it did have a number of quantum strut ports on it too, but that was just to secure it to the main lander.

That craft was the bare minimum needed to reach LDO and unless you get just the right ascent profile it falls short of making orbit. I almost didn't make the second rendezvous in the mission vid. You might want something a bit more reliable!

I'll try to get you a craft file with just it when I get back home.

Hey, try doing this again... With RSS :P

erm, I'm a little confused! what do you mean by RSS? I can only think of it meaning Rich Site Summary but I can't see where that fits in!

erm, I'm a little confused! what do you mean by RSS? I can only think of it meaning Rich Site Summary but I can't see where that fits in!

He means real solar system, which changes the kerbol system to the sol system:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-22-WIP-Alpha-Real-Solar-System-v5-1-HOTFIX

Impressive work, Katateochi, by the way.

Do you mean just the little 3 man module that took off from the crew lander? I'll see what I can do, I'm not at home currently so it will be a couple days. I've also not updated these craft for 0.22 yet.

It's a really simple craft, you can chuck it together in a couple minutes. It uses the 3 man cupola pod from KSPX and a single short grey fuel tank from KW rocketry. Then it has two of the low profile engines from nova punch, they've got 75 thrust and a high ISP. There are two small cube struts turned so they sit inside the fuel tank and then engines connect to them. It also has a small docking port under the fuel tank, between the engines and a standard one on top of the crew pod. 2 long RCS tanks from KSPX in the free space under the tank and 4 standard thrusters around the COM. It also has the remote tech antenna to enable it to be remote controlled when unmanned, though you could just put a probe core on somewhere instead.

That's just from memory so I might have missed some things out, oh yeah, 4 parachutes and some solar panels. it did have a number of quantum strut ports on it too, but that was just to secure it to the main lander.

That craft was the bare minimum needed to reach LDO and unless you get just the right ascent profile it falls short of making orbit. I almost didn't make the second rendezvous in the mission vid. You might want something a bit more reliable!

I'll try to get you a craft file with just it when I get back home.

When you get around to updating to .22 please remember to weld non essentials together to lower the part count. I am really eager to see what you can muster up.

Can you post a craft file of just your Duna assent module? For testing...:sticktongue:

soz for the delay, but here is the ascent module. It's attached to a probe core by its bottom docking port, but that was just to make it work as a separate craft file once I took it off the main craft. I guess I could have made it a subassembly but I thought this would be more useful and also I could run my mod detector script over it;

download hab ascent module

It needs

Stock - 11 parts
KSPX - 2 parts
KWRocketry - 2 parts
NovaPunch2 - 1 parts
BoJaN - 1 parts
legacy parts - 1 parts
MechJeb2 - 1 parts
RemoteTech - 2 parts

If you want the break down of the individual parts so you don't have to install each of those mods in full just ask me and I'll add it here.

The legacy part there is the "cl_large_observationModule" from an older version of KSPX, its the 3 man version of the cupola. Not sure if you can still get that part, but its in the original mod bundle for the main craft so you can get it there.

BoJaN is the quantum strut mod.

I left the remote tech parts on cos that enables its unmanned capability but if you don't want RT its real easy to edit them out of the craft file in a text editor as they are just radially attached parts.

He means real solar system, which changes the kerbol system to the sol system:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-22-WIP-Alpha-Real-Solar-System-v5-1-HOTFIX

Impressive work, Katateochi, by the way.

Ah thanks, I was scratching my head about that!

tbh for all my LOVE of mods, I realised that I only like the mods that give you new parts, I'm really not keen on the ones that change the environment. I like the kerbal universe as it is, so I'm prob not going to use RSS.

When you get around to updating to .22 please remember to weld non essentials together to lower the part count. I am really eager to see what you can muster up.

Yeah, when I saw Scott Manely's vid on that welding mod and I squeaked with excitement. If not for deciding to play career mode 100% stock for a while I'd already be all over that. It's going to allow for much more gargantuan builds!!

That said thou, looking at the constellation craft again there aren't too many places where two of the same thing are stacked together. That's partly why I've always liked KW rockety for its larger tanks. I could weld a couple girders together on Kopernicus and on the landers but it would only be a small number of parts being merged.

Thanks again everyone for all the comments about this project, very happy rocket builder here! :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to check if anyone has upgraded this for RemoteTech 2

before i try and get to work on it

also this is amazing, basically this vid convinced me to buy the game

(was researching ksp after my friend showed me it)

Edited by Awesome_Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know which mod those girders and circular structural sections on Kopernicus come from? I'm assuming something like Girder Pack or KOSMOS, but both are out of date.

EDIT: From reading the .craft file, the round sections look like fairing plates from NovaPunch.

part = NP.fairings.375m.plate_4291961728

Edited by Bobe

I've been constructing my own mission with elements inspired by this mission, but I just can't get my rocket to be consistently stable.

The rocket is very similar to Kata's Ares V, but with SRBs from KW Rocketry instead of American Pack (I assume). I can't figure out where to put the remote guidance unit. The only place that could make sense from the video is inside the payload fairing, but because I have to put it below the payload it is crushed by the weight.

I also tried putting a small unit on the underside of the payload at the top, but this just causes the typical wobble because it's turning in opposition to the engine vectoring. Locking the engine gimbal just makes the rocket virtually uncontrollable.

----- EVERYTHING ABOVE CAN BE IGNORED -----

In the video, the transfer stage appears to be mounted in the fairing on some sort of pylon between the three engines. What is this part?

Also, when performing the 15 minute transfer burn, did the burn start at T 0 or earlier to compensate for the long burn time? MechJeb is starting at T 0, resulting in a very odd trajectory.

In fact, I just checked on it now. At T + 11 minutes, I'm at 485km going 2200 m/s, and my remaining ÃŽâ€v, which had gotten to half the required amount, is actually going up. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I see in the video that the burn started roughly 7 minutes before the node. Did you just manually keep it in the right direction, or can MJ lock on to the node icon ( not actually sure what it's called) after you've manually started the burn?

Edited by Bobe

soz for not replying these sooner guys, I kinda forgot to check this thread for recent activity, doh!

I cant get the .craft files to load on any version that I have access to (0.23 and 0.22) no matter how hard I try.

Sadly these don't work in the current form in the latest versions of KSP. I need to update them to work with the new versions of the mods, I think I'm going to have to pretty much start from scratch again :(

Does anyone know which mod those girders and circular structural sections on Kopernicus come from? I'm assuming something like Girder Pack or KOSMOS, but both are out of date.

EDIT: From reading the .craft file, the round sections look like fairing plates from NovaPunch.

part = NP.fairings.375m.plate_4291961728

The girders are from this pack but you're right, it is very out of date (still uses the old parts folder). I've not tried them again in 0.22 or 0.23, I think with a little cfg editing they can be updated but I've not tried yet. If you do get them working I'd be interested to know, cos although simple and without much texture its been a very useful set of parts.

I think the girders are from RLA Stock-alike, not sure about the rings though. I have been trying to find this out myself, as I have always wanted to recreate Kata's mission, as it was one of the first KSP vids I saw on youtube, and pretty much drove me to play the game.

Glad this vid tempted you into the world of KSP!! :) Girders are from this old pack and rings are NovaPunch fairing bulkheads. But as I said above, girders may need from cfg tampering to update them to work in 0.23

*snip

In the video, the transfer stage appears to be mounted in the fairing on some sort of pylon between the three engines. What is this part?

Also, when performing the 15 minute transfer burn, did the burn start at T 0 or earlier to compensate for the long burn time? MechJeb is starting at T 0, resulting in a very odd trajectory.

In fact, I just checked on it now. At T + 11 minutes, I'm at 485km going 2200 m/s, and my remaining ÃŽâ€v, which had gotten to half the required amount, is actually going up. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I see in the video that the burn started roughly 7 minutes before the node. Did you just manually keep it in the right direction, or can MJ lock on to the node icon ( not actually sure what it's called) after you've manually started the burn?

You're right about where my probe cores are, they are just below the payload and wth struts to prevent crushing.

The pylon is from the girder pack I linked above, but as I said there, it may need some tinkering to make it work in the current version.

I always start my burns (even short ones) at half the expected burn time before T0, so in this case I would have started the burn at T minus 7.5mins.

I don't let MJ control the burns but I do use it to track the target heading/node icon (yeah I don't know what its supposed to be called either!). I pretty much only use 1 part of MJ and that is the SmartASS as you are still more in control. Under the SmartASS is a node button that will track the node icon. I used that during these burns, I used the TAR and PAR during docking and the manual SURF during landings to get the craft perfectly level. I don't always use these, but when filming it does enable you to focus on getting better shots rather than being glued to the nav-ball.

again, soz for the delay in replies. If I'm being slow at answering something do send me a PM as I'm a bit crap at keeping track of things on the forum!

• 1 month later...

Do you think you could explain how you managed to build the crew/ascent module? I'm attempting to do something similar (though less elaborate), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to build the lander around the ascent module rather than below it.

where did you get the comsat gui? I am using remotetech 2 and do not see any such interface or option to bring it up. Is that another addon?

That was the old remote tech GUI, things are different now in remote tech 2, I can't see how to change remote comsats like I could in RT1 but the RT2 flight computer is way better!

I have watched this video at least 7 times. Its just so awesome!

Thanks man!

Do you think you could explain how you managed to build the crew/ascent module? I'm attempting to do something similar (though less elaborate), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to build the lander around the ascent module rather than below it.

I built the horizontal lander in the SPH with a fairly standard design approach, ie starting with the front command pod and working back (rather than starting in the middle, because it would later need to be attached to the LV), the tricky thing was building the cradle where the ascent module attaches so it was symmetrical in the way it attached to both the front and rear sections. There are some close up pics without the ascent module in this post

At the same time I also built the ascent module in the VAB and to start with I built it the right way round (command pod first) while I was testing it out. Then once I got it how I wanted I took it apart and rebuilt it backwards, starting with a probe core that was later thrown away. So basically I started with a prob core and then worked upwards adding the ascent module parts starting from its lower docking port. Then I was able to select the ascent module from the lower docking port and could save that as a subassembly. Then back in the SPH I fitted a radially attached docking port to the middle of the cradle and then loaded up the ascent module sub-assembly and attached it via the docking ports.

Building the cradle was prob the hardest part of this bit of the design. In the pics in the post I linked to above you'll see I used those small cube parts to make the join to the front and rear sections and to form the 90 joint in the cradle itself. To start with I'd tried using radially attached girders, but then when you come to add the rear section you can't get the same joins, so you have to use a way that uses attachment nodes (I think that is the key to it really).

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.