Mun Base

Done it again... more here :)

munlab2-07.jpg

Technically, it doesn\'t qualify because I didn\'t do a return stage this time, but imagined a follow up 'retrieve the crew' mission instead. It did have enough fuel to reach Kerbin orbit again, though. I think. Could probably enter atmo again, but without chutes it would hurt.

Below is my attempt; it took several rebuilds for a strong enough first and second stage that didn\'t snap on launch :(

The original concept was two three-tank bases side by side, separated by RCS; however that all got used trying to keep my first stage vertical... So now it\'s just one 6-tank base. The panel is actually on the other side, and each tank has a different \'addon\' on top performing various \'aesthetic only\' functions.

I sent Bill out for an EVA to fix the snapped leg... :D

Should we rate bases on fuel capacity delivered (ie volume of livable space)? That gives me 560L x 6 = 3360l habitation space.

The return capsule was surprisingly stable in atmosphere, I could have landed without a parachute in this configuration.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the satellite was to be deployed in Munar orbit before descent, however it was in too early a stage and had to be jettisoned beforehand :-\

Switchblade

I put a big ol\' station on the Mun.

On the launchpad. This is by far my biggest rocket to date.

vRybb.jpg

First stage. 4x huge 3-meter monster engines. Keeping it from tearing itself apart with standing wave vibrations takes a lot of practice. I start out at full blast and throttle back as the fuel runs out.

N1AKu.jpg

Dumping stage 1. Stage 2 is a set of solid boosters. We\'re out of atmo here, so control is easier, but takes up a ton of RCS fuel. I actually tacked this stage on a previous (much smaller) mun lander, to give it the extra lifting capacity.

X6rro.jpg

Dumping stage 2. In a highly-elliptical almost-orbit at this point.

rBR4Q.jpgUXuKP.png

Stage 3 gets me the rest of the way to a munar intercept orbit (or whatever it\'s called).

fR63O.jpg

The orbital service module is a hell of a lot bigger than the one from Apollo. I\'ll probably stick some habitation modules, solar panels, and antenna later.

R6Nns.pngjiLBA.pngWvRzv.pngW1Gdo.png

The orbiter module gets left in orbit. All that\'s left is the station module and the 2-stage return module.

n81Or.pngMBK7T.png

Here we go people. This is not a drill!

PXG7T.jpgqaUnZ.jpg

Touchdown.

MyeoV.jpgall1krzo.jpgEnqP5.jpg4fMvR.jpgrBsRj.jpg

Big station. Plenty of room for activities. Big upward-facing antennae for calling home. Loads of sensors, living quarters, etc. Serves a permanent crew of 6, with cramped but serviceable accommodations for maybe a dozen. Mun buggy not included (someone should get on that).

There is a return module, but I didn\'t get to try an ascent, because when I time-dilated (in order to get some sunrise shots),the station fell through the munar floor. Very annoying. I\'ll try again later. Some of my previous (smaller) moon landings that used the same return module have returned safely, so I\'m not particularly worried.

Love this Mod. Used this and Novapunch to place a huge lander on the Mun.

Look what I built, I was bale to place an empty 3m fuel tank, with 3/4 of the fuel left in the strap on engines, on the MUN and return my Kerbals to Kearth.

This is the old version. Working on a new mega lander that is even bigger. And a second lander ontop to detach and beside the mega lander.

3m%20to%20the%20mun%20on%20pad.jpg

3m%20to%20the%20mun.jpg

3M%20EMPTY%20TANK%20FUEL%20TO%20SPARE..jpg

AVK Lander and Novapunch - http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=4180.0

Here is the craft file if you want to play with it.

http://lancastercustom.com/upload/KSP/3%20Meter%20to%20the%20MUN.craft

I put a big ol\' station on the Mun.

On the launchpad. This is by far my biggest rocket to date.

vRybb.jpg

First stage. 4x huge 3-meter monster engines. Keeping it from tearing itself apart with standing wave vibrations takes a lot of practice. I start out at full blast and throttle back as the fuel runs out.

N1AKu.jpg

Dumping stage 1. Stage 2 is a set of solid boosters. We\'re out of atmo here, so control is easier, but takes up a ton of RCS fuel. I actually tacked this stage on a previous (much smaller) mun lander, to give it the extra lifting capacity.

X6rro.jpg

Dumping stage 2. In a highly-elliptical almost-orbit at this point.

rBR4Q.jpgUXuKP.png

Stage 3 gets me the rest of the way to a munar intercept orbit (or whatever it\'s called).

fR63O.jpg

The orbital service module is a hell of a lot bigger than the one from Apollo. I\'ll probably stick some habitation modules, solar panels, and antenna later.

R6Nns.pngjiLBA.pngWvRzv.pngW1Gdo.png

The orbiter module gets left in orbit. All that\'s left is the station module and the 2-stage return module.

n81Or.pngMBK7T.png

Here we go people. This is not a drill!

PXG7T.jpgqaUnZ.jpg

Touchdown.

MyeoV.jpgall1krzo.jpgEnqP5.jpg4fMvR.jpgrBsRj.jpg

Big station. Plenty of room for activities. Big upward-facing antennae for calling home. Loads of sensors, living quarters, etc. Serves a permanent crew of 6, with cramped but serviceable accommodations for maybe a dozen. Mun buggy not included (someone should get on that).

There is a return module, but I didn\'t get to try an ascent, because when I time-dilated (in order to get some sunrise shots),the station fell through the munar floor. Very annoying. I\'ll try again later. Some of my previous (smaller) moon landings that used the same return module have returned safely, so I\'m not particularly worried.

Holy crap... wish I had an imagination like you...

nlancaster: I think I have all those mod packs, but it won\'t load. I think I\'m missing those extra long landing struts. Anyone know where those came from?

Actually it wont load anymore because of .13. the landing struts are from the assorted harware thread.

I am working on a new launcher that uses 7 3m tanks with 42 regular engines and 7 gimbaled main engines.

Ugh. I planned this whole thing where I showed off the new craft. I added a bunch of modules to the orbiter, and some other stuff, and it\'s bigger, better, and more awesome . . . and then . . . .

Ow.

What the heck does 'too many heap sections' mean? And why does it cause KSP to crash after 30 minutes of careful, desperately fuel-deprived orbital fiddling? Ow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.