[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

5 Years of TAC life support weigh in at about 5.33t per Kerbal, Food is actually the lightest part of that, clocking in at only 0.76t. Going by that measure my greenhouse should have a weight of about 4 tons (it weights 5 now). The greenhouse supports 4 Kerbals, 5t of food would supply 4 Kerbals for ~10 (Earth) years, so that would be the break-even point for a greenhouse right now if we go by weight alone.

The main problem with ORS will be that it doesn't use autogenerated resources, someone would have to create resource maps (png grayscale) for the bodies.

Also I don't see any converters in ORS, that'd have to be done externally. (Or use TACGenericConverter maybe?)

I'm not sure that all requirements can be met by just plugging in an alternate config, there may be some coding involved.

EDIT: Actually, if someone here has or can come up with a way to generate reasonable resource maps for planets in an at least semi-automated fashion I'd be kind of interested in trying to convert Kethane to use ORS. :)

As I said, KSPI already has all the resource maps for all the planets available. You can just use those.

As I said, KSPI already has all the resource maps for all the planets available. You can just use those.

The rub is with things beyond LiquidWater (speaking from a purely MKS standpoint) since they would need their own distribution.

The rub is with things beyond LiquidWater (speaking from a purely MKS standpoint) since they would need their own distribution.

Ah, I see.

By the way Taranis, did you have any comment about my post #1040 a few pages back? I'm still wondering what happened there.

Yeah, I took a wrong turn there. My brain was thinking about turning waste and water into plants, but I'm turning it into food, completely ignoring the plant->food part, my mistake.

The complete inability to create self-sustaining colonies defeats the play part of gameplay in my opinion. Running supplies to your colony is only fun so many times until it becomes a chore.

It's also gaining matter in form of waste and water.

I actually didn't think about that until now. There go my plans for an "easy" Laythe base. :D (I guess I'll have to trade CO2 for food with an orbital station then.)

The biggest problem is likely outgassing, which isn't currently modeled in *any* of the LS mods. Here's the basic issues:

1. Outgassing. There are public figures on the amount of O2/N2 the ISS loses, but basically all gases outgas. There is always some leakage due to imperfect seals, materials becoming brittle due to irradiation, and migration of gaseous molecules through the wall of the tank. (Helium, for example - larger elements leak slower) You can replace oxygen and hydrogen by electrolyzing water, but there's no easy way to obtain nitrogen - you have to ship it up from somewhere, and you have to have it to in order to maintain plant life. You can pretty much interchange water, H2, and O2 as long as you have enough electricity, but small amounts of each of those will leak out and over time will need to be replenished from outside the system. Nitrogen pretty much has to come from somewhere else, and for there to be a large enough supply to not worry about it for a while. The real benefit to a successful closed system is in limiting the resupply runs to a very small fraction of what they would be otherwise.

2. Recycling losses - the ship is a closed system, and there will be a limited number of agents available to break waste down into reusable components. No matter how good your waste treatment is, there will always be some sludge that cannot be broken down. A closed ecosystem may use chemicals to break it down, and *will* use microorganisms before and/or after the chemicals to break things down further - but even so, there will be a small percentage which is either too toxic or composed of something your microflora can't reconstitute.

3. Lack of diversity - A planetary ecosystem is maintained because there are thousands of organisms at every stage of the carbon cycle. Biosphere2 proved that it's very difficult to maintain a complex closed ecosystem - sure, a bottle garden works, but there are only a handful of organisms in a bottle garden, and even those are not easy to get up and running - they are unsuccessful as often as not. If any one organism loses its natural predator or conditions which contain it, then the entire system can get very out of whack. This is a major reason why Biosphere2 had to bring in outside air and supplies on multiple occasions.

I don't think that anyone really wants a detailed system that tracks things like humidity, particulates, and temperature as they apply to the 3+ communities living on the ship (Kerbals, plants, microflora) - meaning I don't think most of us want to micromanage all of that - but personally, I'd love to see Hydrogen and Nitrogen in TAC LS, as well as heat. (although perhaps heat should really be its own mod, given how many things impact that)

Hi everyone ! I'm happy to post here the first message in the KSP board :) Thank you Taranis for the mod, and everyone involved in this thread.

I thoroughly read the last pages, especially CoolBeer's post about converting the units to liters : I used his patch to modify Taranis original configuration, but I stumble upon an issue which I haven't been able to resolve yet. The conversion to liters/kg has been successfully applied to every stock part, but I can't figure out how to patch the consumption : a MK1 command pod in orbit around Kerbin (for test purposes) has about 7h30 worth of food, 43h of water and....7300+h of oxygen. Obviously, it should be 24h for each of these three resources.

The amount of resources in the pod show that the Module Manager patch works, since it is set to change the max amount of each resource in the stock parts to reflect the changes in consumption (before the patch, everything was set to 1/2/3 depending on the size of the pod, now food is 0.317, water is 1.798 and oxygen is 304.27).

The problem is that the consumption rates are still the same as Taranis' original configuration (still visible in the toolbar UI ingame), and the updated rates never apply. The file with these settings is located in GameData/ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/PluginData/TacLifeSupport/LifeSupport.cfg

Each time I load the game, these settings do not work, and it seems that they are overwritten by the original configuration : what can I do to make these work properly ?

I believe I have found the solution to this, I was also experiencing the same problem and it would seem it's related to MKS. Basically, MKS also has a LifeSupport.cfg in it that ends up taking precedence over the one in the actual TAC folder. I would assume that part is due just to load order. If you delete it it still uses that location for the new config, so you need to just replace the values in the LifeSupport.cfg in MKS' mod folder.

I'm seeing a lot of these NRE's in mine and other peoples logs. It looks to me TAC is trying to assign life support modules to some pods and failing.

During loading:

[LOG 13:44:47.650] Tac.AddLifeSupport[442D1A80][34.88]: Adding Life Support to B9.Cockpit.M27/M27 Overview Cockpit

[LOG 13:44:47.652] Tac.AddLifeSupport[442D1A80][34.88]: The LifeSupportModule is missing!

[ERR 13:44:47.654] Tac.AddLifeSupport[442D1A80][34.88]: Error adding the Part Module (expected?): Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Tac.AddLifeSupport.AddPartModule (.Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

In flight:

[LOG 13:46:59.837] Tac.LifeSupportModule[FFF8B558][69.54]: OnStart: PreLaunch, Landed

[EXC 13:47:00.877] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Can this be fixed with a MM patch?

I'm seeing a lot of these NRE's in mine and other peoples logs. It looks to me TAC is trying to assign life support modules to some pods and failing

Can this be fixed with a MM patch?

IIRC the resources get added dynamically to non-stock command modules by TAC-LS itself instead of being applied by a MM patch. Should be possible to fix by explicitly defining resources for the parts instead of letting TAC LS do it on the fly. I'll take a look at it tomorrow unless someone wants to whip up a quick CFG tonight.

don't know if I'm allowed to post this but it was my quick fix for the Interstellar LqdWater to water problem

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11863219/part.cfg replace the part.cfg in the Interstellar Refinery with this one, it does require you to have the kethane plugin as i just added a kethaneConverter module to the config

Edited by blitz2190

Wouldn't this one be a nice addition to your links ;) ?

--> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53009-0-23-BioMass-Renewable-Bio-Fuel-Modules

My favourite, along with Universal Storage.

I think you all should gather your work and make a whole mod with optional parts. This would make it a lot more simple for dowloading/gathering everything/understanding which one works with which/installing/uninstalling... I think you get the point :D

I may be of some help if communication and basic coding is required ;) PM if interested.

Hi,

Question, how do i convert all masses/volumes in TACLS into liters from kg. Question has come up in RO thread and making it into liters seems to make sorting out real life sized storage and containers far easier to deal with.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know

If you could that'd be awesome. Just to assign a days resources to all manned command pods if possible to stop the NRE's will make me very happy :D

And fixed. I think. This will explicitly add the TAC resources to any part with a crew capacity of up to 10 Kerbals. Unfortunately 'kerbalEVA' will still throw an error but this will at least fix part modules.

// TACC Life Support Resource Patch by Somnambulist - v0.1 26/04/104 - no rights reserved, do whatever you want.
//
// Patch to explicitly add TAC Life Support to crewed parts. Bug in TAC LS 0.8 throws errors when the DLL attempts to dynamically add life support.

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[1]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
@name = LifeSupportModule
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 1
@maxAmount = 1
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 1
@maxAmount = 1
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 1
@maxAmount = 1
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 1
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 1
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 1
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[2]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 2
@maxAmount = 2
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 2
@maxAmount = 2
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 2
@maxAmount = 2
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 2
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 2
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[3]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 3
@maxAmount = 3
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 3
@maxAmount = 3
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 3
@maxAmount = 3
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 3
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 3
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 3
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[4]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 4
@maxAmount = 4
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 4
@maxAmount = 4
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 4
@maxAmount = 4
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 4
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 4
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 4
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[5]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 5
@maxAmount = 5
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 5
@maxAmount = 5
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 5
@maxAmount = 5
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 5
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 5
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 5
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[6]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 6
@maxAmount = 6
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 6
@maxAmount = 6
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 6
@maxAmount = 6
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 6
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 6
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 6
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[7]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 7
@maxAmount = 7
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 7
@maxAmount = 7
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 7
@maxAmount = 7
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 7
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 7
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 7
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[8]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 8
@maxAmount = 8
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 8
@maxAmount = 8
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 8
@maxAmount = 8
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 8
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 8
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 8
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[10]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 9
@maxAmount = 9
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 9
@maxAmount = 9
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 9
@maxAmount = 9
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 9
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 9
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 9
}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[10]]:AFTER[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
}
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@name = Food
@amount = 10
@maxAmount = 10
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
@name = Water
@amount = 10
@maxAmount = 10
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
@name = Oxygen
@amount = 10
@maxAmount = 10
}
@RESOURCE[CarbonDioxide]
{
@name = CarbonDioxide
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 10
}
RESOURCE
{
@name = Waste
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 10
}
@RESOURCE[WasteWater]
{
@name = WasteWater
@amount = 0
@maxAmount = 10
}
}

Any chance for the same cfg, but with Coolbeer's resource conversions?

Here is his post with all values needed:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40667-0-23-0-23-5-WIP-TAC-Life-Support-0-8-22Dec/page25?p=1069843#post1069843

Unfortunately I am not cfg savvy enough to make it.

Coolbeer's is adding to command also just they all get the same.

EDIT my bad his is changing if the part as the resource just drop the :FINAL off somnambulist post should work.

Edited by Mecripp2

Any chance for the same cfg, but with Coolbeer's resource conversions?

Unfortunately I am not cfg savvy enough to make it.

It looks like Coolbeer is using the new math functions in MM 2.0 so his CFG should just multiply the values in my cfg. As a test, check the values on the mobile processing lab in the VAB. If they're not "2" for everything, Coolbeer's cfgs are being applied correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for doing that. I wasn't sure exactly how to go about that :P

No problem! It was one of those things were I thought, "Oh I should fix that" but just never did. :)

Hi i'm trying to get TAC overhauled to RO (realism overhaul) for RSS so far i have some solid checked numbers of: (excerpt from my post in RO thread)

ALL numbers in SI (metric) as thats the system used in RO (and i am also Canadian, our education system doesnt teach imperial, in fact we are taught to ignore it..well it did 16 years ago when i graduated)

This said we can average the masses to: all numbers checked via Wikipedia, calculator link above, or similar sources

* 1 human needs/uses 1.5kg of food per day > Increased to 3x MRE meals in mass per day 3,600 Calories (3,600 kcal or 15,000 kJ) (Freeze dried rations would take approximately 1/2 the mass/volume of MRE's @ same calories)

* 1 human needs/uses 2kg of water per day

* 1 human needs/uses 13.2Kg of Oxygen (air) per day

* 1 human produces 0.9kg of CO2 per day

* 1 human produces 0.12kg of "waste" per day (this is the low average amount produced per day, high average was 0.6kg, but with its water volume extracted it should be a roughly correct average)

* 1 human produces 0.5kg of "waste water" per day

That should do for masses, now it would be to find volume per 1kg in liters of each:

* Water and waste water would be 1kg = 1 liter

* Air mass of 1kg of air in liters is 0.38kg per 1 liter @ 300bar (with 1 liter tank holding 300 liters under pressure) so: 1kg air @ 300bar = 2.63157 liters this assumes same pressure as a SCUBA tank

* The volume of CO2 would be 1kg = 500 liters, at surface pressure...so 1kg @ 300bar = 1.67 liters this assumes same pressure as a SCUBA tank (with 1 liter tank holding 300 liters under pressure)

* Waste mass in kg per liter of sewage sludge (solid waste) is: 0.72kg per 1 liter or 1kg = 1.38888 liters

* Food, US army manual states the weight of each case is approximately 15 lbs and it measures approximately 1.02 cubic feet volume > 6.80389kg & 28.8832 liters (0.0288832 cubic meters) or 1kg = 4.2451009 liters in metric.

(Freeze dried, vacuum packed rations would take approximately 1/2 the mass/volume of MRE's @ same calorie amount with a human needing 0.75kg per day and 1kg = 2.1225504 liters, will use for saving mass/volume)

With that done, its just to correct the TACLifeSupport.cfg to reflect these mass numbers and update input/output numbers for purifiers/cleaners/extractors so they still keep up with their target crew levels (1 crew, 3 crew and 12 crew... if I recall correctly)

I am abit confused on volume (but did find the correct info of liters per kg for everything), i assume this would be for the to be created TACrealfuels.cfg??

jrandoms pods_EnergyUsage.cfg numbers seem realism overhaul correct and handles power supply/use correctly, so it needs no alterations

that said, does anyone know to apply a volume, in liters, to each resource/waste type? This seems to be needed to create a TAC real fuels cfg to allow the filling of containers made with stretchy and.or procedural tanks?

I have asked in RO thread, but seeing this is "the TAC thread", i figured someone here might be fairly skilled and in "the know" on how to do this.

I already have jrandoms "pods_EnergyUsage.cfg", that file is perfect it seems as is according to the RO community, and "TACLifeSupport.cfg", << this file needs the alterations/edits to apply new masses to resources and wastes... but i really dont know how to give them a volume (am i correct in assuming this would be done to this file, or would it be a totally separate "TAC_RealFuels.cfg".. or would it require both an edit to "TACLifeSupport.cfg" and making a "TAC_RealFuels.cfg"??)??

Thanks for any advice in advance, seeing TAC is the most complete life support mod and has a large user base it seems best suited to fill this role in RO (thats my personal opinion, i speak for no one else... so thats clear)

EDIT It seems jrandoms "pods_EnergyUsage.cfg" could be improved to effect all crewed components by editing: (example uses 1 crew capacity) CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG PLZ

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],#CrewCapacity[1]]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleCommand]
{
!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]{}
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.2666666 // 0.1 for base systems, 0.1666666 for operation per kerbal
}
}

@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
@amount = 64320 // 24000 base + 12h charge (including life support)
@maxAmount = 64320
}
}

can be replaced with (adding a command module to them and hopefully applying resources and wastes storage capacities aswell as power supply levels & power usage rates)

@PART[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[1]]:FINAL
{
%MODULE[ModuleCommand]
{
!RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]{}
RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 0.2666666 // 0.1 for base systems, 0.1666666 for operation per kerbal
}
}

@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
{
@amount = 64320 // 24000 base + 12h charge (including life support)
@maxAmount = 64320
}
}

Edited by Guest

It looks like Coolbeer is using the new math functions in MM 2.0 so his CFG should just multiply the values in my cfg. As a test, check the values on the mobile processing lab in the VAB. If they're not "2" for everything, Coolbeer's cfgs are being applied correctly.

It works! Thank you!

My apologies if this has come up before, but is there a configuration tweak so TAC Life Support will display time remaining in Kerbin six hour days instead of 24 hour days?

It's just that I've got Alarm Clock displaying in Kerbin days and this is a bit of a disconnect.

Thanks!

Is there any plans on adding food growth/production parts? Naturally I'm assuming it'll be a little more cumbersome then the filter parts, but it would be nice to have, as it would add another reason to build stations :)

Hi i'm trying to get TAC overhauled to RO (realism overhaul) for RSS so far i have some solid checked numbers of: (excerpt from my post in RO thread)

ALL numbers in SI (metric) as thats the system used in RO (and i am also Canadian, our education system doesnt teach imperial, in fact we are taught to ignore it..well it did 16 years ago when i graduated)

This said we can average the masses to: all numbers checked via Wikipedia, calculator link above, or similar sources

* 1 human needs/uses 1.5kg of food per day > Increased to 3x MRE meals in mass per day 3,600 Calories (3,600 kcal or 15,000 kJ) (Freeze dried rations would take approximately 1/2 the mass/volume of MRE's @ same calories)

* 1 human needs/uses 2kg of water per day

* 1 human needs/uses 13.2Kg of Oxygen (air) per day

* 1 human produces 0.9kg of CO2 per day

* 1 human produces 0.12kg of "waste" per day (this is the low average amount produced per day, high average was 0.6kg, but with its water volume extracted it should be a roughly correct average)

* 1 human produces 0.5kg of "waste water" per day

Not sure where you got your numbers from, but I think they may be off. For humans, the numbers by mass are:

Inputs:

* Oxygen - 0.835 kg/day

* Water - 3.909 kg/day

* Food - 0.617 kg/day

Total: 5.361 kg/day

Outputs:

* CO2 - 0.998 kg/day

* "Waste" - 0.109 kg/day

* "Wastewater" - 4.254 kg/day

Total: 5.361 kg/day

Numbers per NASA's "Advanced Life Support Baseline" document - found here (numbered page 27, "page 39" of the PDF)

Personally, I set Kerbal values at half the human values - Kerbals appear to be about 0.8m high, and their huge heads argue for about 1/2 human volume. Close enough for government work. ;-)