[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Agreed with everyone that this is a great mod. It hits the right spot in terms of complexity/Kerbal fragility: it makes keeping Kerbals warm, fed, and breathing an important part of your mission plan, without turning the focus of the game from "space exploration" to "O2 meter management". If there were a Donate button (hint, hint) I would press it. Eagerly awaiting the 0.25-compatible update so I can run the same mod "constellation" I used in 0.24.2, consisting of Karbonite, RT, MKS/OKS, ScanSat, and (of course) TACLS.

I do have one question/potential feature request. Perhaps there is already a way to do this? I am thinking it ought to be possible to simply turn a valve and vent waste products (CO2 and liquid/solid waste) to space from a waste container -- or even have a "waste exhaust port" part that simply vents waste as it is created. As it is I try to put waste containers on discardable stages (i.e. when leaving Duna orbit, eject the Duna Poop Container before starting burn) but this isn't always feasible.

I do have one question/potential feature request. Perhaps there is already a way to do this? I am thinking it ought to be possible to simply turn a valve and vent waste products (CO2 and liquid/solid waste) to space from a waste container -- or even have a "waste exhaust port" part that simply vents waste as it is created. As it is I try to put waste containers on discardable stages (i.e. when leaving Duna orbit, eject the Duna Poop Container before starting burn) but this isn't always feasible.

Waste is automatically discarded if all available waste storage is full. If you want to dump waste before the containers are full, I believe TAC Fuel Balancer can do that.

Waste is automatically discarded if all available waste storage is full. If you want to dump waste before the containers are full, I believe TAC Fuel Balancer can do that.

Aha. I guess I assumed that once all the containers filled up, the Kerbals started drowning in crap. This makes much more sense. Thank you.

how about adding tweakscale-capabilities and maybe these neat functions like in the USI-mods that enables the player to swap the content of the items?

that would reduce the number of parts in a great way (and it would end that pesky search for the correct container (since their icons are so similar). it would also allow additional 3.75m or even 5m containers without adding any new parts (I'd also like to see longer containers (an option for that), which can hold more material (stacking them is sometimes not an option, since the craft could get wobbly).

Aha. I guess I assumed that once all the containers filled up, the Kerbals started drowning in crap. This makes much more sense. Thank you.

Ah. This makes sense. I'm guessing it's for the machines that recycle water and oxygen. Cool. Now what to do with a ton of kerbal waste (poop)?

Ah. This makes sense. I'm guessing it's for the machines that recycle water and oxygen. Cool. Now what to do with a ton of kerbal waste (poop)?

Return all the waste to KSC, of course! (possibly at high velocity)

how about adding tweakscale-capabilities and maybe these neat functions like in the USI-mods that enables the player to swap the content of the items?

that would reduce the number of parts in a great way (and it would end that pesky search for the correct container (since their icons are so similar). it would also allow additional 3.75m or even 5m containers without adding any new parts (I'd also like to see longer containers (an option for that), which can hold more material (stacking them is sometimes not an option, since the craft could get wobbly).

There's already functionality for TACLS to work with Modular Fuel Tanks/Real Fuels. This won't solve your issue with wanting more sizes, but it does cut down to one part for each type/size of container. You can also make configs for larger parts if you want to. You'll have to do some minor math to rescale them right, but there's information around here on how to go about it.

There's already functionality for TACLS to work with Modular Fuel Tanks/Real Fuels. This won't solve your issue with wanting more sizes, but it does cut down to one part for each type/size of container. You can also make configs for larger parts if you want to. You'll have to do some minor math to rescale them right, but there's information around here on how to go about it.

But the underlying mechanic is still functional?

well he edited the OP (changing nothing as far as i can tell) but the comment does in deed say 0.25 compatibility... so i think its soon coming...

well nevermind missed his post - i'm blind...

PS how do i strikethrough??....

Edited by skbernard
vision impaired

As much as I dislike the hexcan, I eagerly await your .25 update.. its' the last mod I'm waiting for before I start all over in career.

I love the hexcan! So many surfaces to attach solar panels to.

If hexcan were a kid, you would need to tie a pork chop around his neck to get the family dog to play with him.

coincidentally TAC should change its' logo to bacon... mmmm bacon..

Edited by gl0ryh0und

I love the hexcan! So many surfaces to attach solar panels to.

Signing off in support of the much-maligned hexcan, I think it's a dandy of a model! Out of curiosity for those who don't like how it looks, is it the texture or the model that's the problem? I.e., is it the shape or the paintjob that you don't like?

It doesn't fit the theme at all..They stick out like sore thumbs. They do make for some good surface attachment points, but their knobby shape and texture make them undesirable to use on most crafts. The other thing is you cannot see any function from its' form.. there are no access panels, nothing to suggest why a container of something like life support stocks such as food or water would be in that container in that shape..

Never really had an issue with the hex cans. I always liked the shape because you can tuck them away under fairings pretty well.

However, a better option is to use universal storage and the TAC LS extension. I think that might work for you if you're looking for something a bit more functional looking. Here is a link.

http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/universal-storage-a-mod-for-kerbal-space-program/

You have to scroll down a bit to get to the Life support addons. Of course we still need TAC LS to be updated for any of it to work.

It doesn't fit the theme at all..They stick out like sore thumbs. They do make for some good surface attachment points, but their knobby shape and texture make them undesirable to use on most crafts. The other thing is you cannot see any function from its' form.. there are no access panels, nothing to suggest why a container of something like life support stocks such as food or water would be in that container in that shape..

I figure there are delivery hoses on the side that faces the craft/surface, where you can't see them. I'm thinking the stored "food" is more like 100% Kerbutritionally Complete Koybean Paste served from a tube, rather than servings of fillet mignion on a plate, so delivery by hose makes sense.