[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

But the underlying mechanic is still functional?

I'm not sure if I quite get your question, but if I understand correctly, yes. If you use TACLS in combination with MFT/RF TACLS still behaves in the same way, the only difference is that MFT/RF adds ability to switch what's in a given tank, so you only need one part for each size and style of container, and then you control its contents with MFT/RF. TACLS is already configured to handle all this for you and hide the other tanks if you have MFT/RF installed.

I'm not sure if I quite get your question, but if I understand correctly, yes. If you use TACLS in combination with MFT/RF TACLS still behaves in the same way, the only difference is that MFT/RF adds ability to switch what's in a given tank, so you only need one part for each size and style of container, and then you control its contents with MFT/RF. TACLS is already configured to handle all this for you and hide the other tanks if you have MFT/RF installed.

The question was, in a nutshell, whether or not the guts of TAC Life Support still worked smoothly despite the storage tank issue. I was worried that incompatibilities between TACLS and the .25 version would leave me with a station full of dead Kerbals without warning, or just break the game. Seems the answer is "no," so I'm happy with that.

yeah i think the hexcan issue for me is the form factor and the lack of implied functionality, it just doesnt look like it works...

Universal Storage is an amazing mod that is one of my necessities for any new play-through, it has clear functional usage, me loves it...

ah ha, victory!

The question was, in a nutshell, whether or not the guts of TAC Life Support still worked smoothly despite the storage tank issue. I was worried that incompatibilities between TACLS and the .25 version would leave me with a station full of dead Kerbals without warning, or just break the game. Seems the answer is "no," so I'm happy with that.

The core mechanics of the life support inner workings seems to function fine for me. The only issues I've noticed are the ones mentioned. The VAB build window does not work, it shows no info and flashes for me. And then the stock parts are all one size, the middle size I believe. Other than that I've seen no problems with the workings of it on the couple of ships I had in flight and ones I've made since.

I must say that I DID NOT have any major bases or anything stocked with kerbals before this KSP update. So maybe just backup your save and then try it to be sure they don't all die if you really want to use it until the new update from taranis. Other mods could cause conflicts I suppose and I'm not a mod heavy user as some others are. But the core mechanics of consumption and all that appear to function ok still.

Edited by Hevak

The core mechanics of the life support workings seems to work fine for me. The only issues I've noticed are the ones mentioned. The VAB build window does not work, it shows no info and flashes for me. And then the stock parts are all one size, the middle size I believe. Other than that I've seen no problems with the workings of it on the couple of ships I had in flight and ones I've made since.

I must say that I DID NOT have any major bases or anything stocked with kerbals before this KSP update. So maybe just backup your save and then try it to be sure they don't all die if you really want to use it until the new update from taranis. Other mods could cause conflicts I suppose and I'm not a mod heavy user as some others are. But the core mechanics of consumption and all that appear to function ok still.

Just keep in mind that typically when a new update of any of the TAC mods come out he tells you to start with a clean game. Most don't want to start a new game if they're just going to have to restart tomorrow. Although, from what I've seen posted at the other site it certainly won't be anywhere near that soon, but still.

Edited by HavinAlmassi

Just keep in mind that typically when a new update of any of the TAC mods come out he tells you to start with a clean game. Most don't want to start a new game if they're just going to have to restart tomorrow. Although, from what I've seen posted at the other site it certainly won't be anywhere near that soon, but still.
Well, I've gone ahead and is knee deep in a new career. However due to lack of TAC-LS no manned stations or permanently deployed ships have yet been launched. Only one-offs for trips to Mun and Minmus and back to Kerbin surface. That's fine for now - still got plenty of stuff to do and science to gather before getting serious about big ships, bases and stations :)

Understanding there are issues with the mod and the 0.25 update can someone tell me how to do the following if it is allowable and ok under the rules here and for the mod.

again if it's allowable can some one tell me if it's possible and if so, how can I make a hexcan so that I can grab it withKAS function? Been working on some rover designs for long term use, and want to be able to remove and replace say a small hexcan to replenish supplies that way when needed. I know the size scaling is currently messed up. But they still hold the correct amounts intended if the size of the model was right. I'm worried about weight is all. I was using a small half full hexcan before and it lasts about 12-13 days with one kerbal.

As as I understand it, the only way to normally resupplying a rover is to dock it with another ship and transfer it like that? Just looking for an easier way to do it is all. I understand things with this and KAS mod may change with updates. But if someone could help with the above for in the meantime I'd appreciate it.

@Hevak: As long as you dont redistribute anything, you can always do whatever you want with your mods installation localy.

The rules (licenses) are there for people doing mod redist's, using parts or code for their mods, and that kind of stuff.

Now if you have KAS, you can always use the pipes that comes with it, so you dont need to dock.

As for making it grabbable, here is the wiki page, where it explains all the parameters, so you can choose what you want. LINK

Or you can start with adding this, generic, code in the hex parts .cfg file, usually at the end of the file before the last }

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = True
storedSize = 20
attachOnPart = true
}

} //<--- this "}" should be the last line of your existing .cfg file

Edited by Thourion

@Hevak: As long as you dont redistribute anything, you can always do whatever you want with your mods installation localy.

The rules (licenses) are there for people doing mod redist's, using parts or code for their mods, and that kind of stuff.

Now if you have KAS, you can always use the pipes that comes with it, so you dont need to dock.

As for making it grabbable, here is the wiki page, where it explains all the parameters, so you can choose what you want. LINK

Yeah I'm not looking to redistribute anything, just do the one container for the rover and stuff. Barely trust myself to do that for my own use. Lol.

and didn't know about those pipes so I'll check that out too thanks.

edit: thanks a bunch thourion saw the bit of code stuff you added and that worked. Appreciate it.

Edited by Hevak

Resupplying Life Support resources is a breeze with KAS pipes. Also, if you got Universal Storage mod _and_ KAS, you can just swap out spent Life Support 'wedges'. Also I think you can do something similar with the 'kerrycans' that comes with one of the Umbra Space Industries (of MKS/OKS fame) mods. Though I can't remember which, and I haven't been able to test it with Life Support yet. For obvious reasons :wink:

If you've not installed KAS however, you're pretty much limited to docking two vessels and then transfer Life Support supplies. Which isn't a big deal for ships/stations in space, but can be tricky for resupplying a rover or base on a planet or moon.

Resupplying Life Support resources is a breeze with KAS pipes. Also, if you got Universal Storage mod _and_ KAS, you can just swap out spent Life Support 'wedges'. Also I think you can do something similar with the 'kerrycans' that comes with one of the Umbra Space Industries (of MKS/OKS fame) mods. Though I can't remember which, and I haven't been able to test it with Life Support yet. For obvious reasons :wink:

If you've not installed KAS however, you're pretty much limited to docking two vessels and then transfer Life Support supplies. Which isn't a big deal for ships/stations in space, but can be tricky for resupplying a rover or base on a planet or moon.

I noticed those cans from umbra, they are new I think. But I didn't consider those either. So maybe that can work too, I'll look into that as well. Haven't tried universal storage yet. But thanks for this info as well. But yeah I'm looking for a way to supply a rover to be long term at an MKS base and travel and stuff. Still learning not only the mods, but the game as well.

Thanks for all the info.

Edit: looks like those karry kans only have options for holding fuel in the "texture options." Was worth a shot to look at though as I hadn't even considered them.

Edited by Hevak

I noticed those cans from umbra, they are new I think. But I didn't consider those either. So maybe that can work too, I'll look into that as well. Haven't tried universal storage yet. But thanks for this info as well. But yeah I'm looking for a way to supply a rover to be long term at an MKS base and travel and stuff. Still learning not only the mods, but the game as well.

Thanks for all the info.

Edit: looks like those karry kans only have options for holding fuel in the "texture options." Was worth a shot to look at though as I hadn't even considered them.

USI also has "a tiny crate for holding maintenance supplies" which are KAS grabbable and use the FS switch to select its contents and texture - they include Life Support supplies and waste products as well as the usual LFO/Karbonite etc.

Edit: (added pic)

O9ApPqE.png

* You can also switch what they hold while on EVA using the right click 'Paint' button.

Edited by Deadpan110
Added Image and extra detail

USI also has "a tiny crate for holding maintenance supplies" which are KAS grabbable and use the FS switch to select its contents and texture - they include Life Support supplies and waste products as well as the usual LFO/Karbonite etc.

Edit: (added pic)

http://i.imgur.com/O9ApPqE.png

* You can also switch what they hold while on EVA using the right click 'Paint' button.

Do you happen to know which USI mod these are in? I don't think I've seen these before, and I don't use all of his mods. These look like they would be great.

currently doin a reinstall from steam as I've been getting a strange crash now I can't attribute to any mod I'm using. So I can't look to see if I have these containers already.

thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. I appreciate it all.

edit: asked in the mks thread and Roverdude said they are in exploration pack. Thanks for showing me these.

Edited by Hevak

Do you happen to know which USI mod these are in? I don't think I've seen these before, and I don't use all of his mods. These look like they would be great.

currently doin a reinstall from steam as I've been getting a strange crash now I can't attribute to any mod I'm using. So I can't look to see if I have these containers already.

thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. I appreciate it all.

edit: asked in the mks thread and Roverdude said they are in exploration pack. So I found them. Thanks for showing me these.

No problem, I was having a hard time trying to find out which pack they were from as I usually grab the complete USI download pack from @RoverDude 's DropBox (links in his sig).

Now I'm back to building unmanned craft while we wait patiently for the ability to make them breathe, eat, drink, poop, pee and exhale :D

No problem, I was having a hard time trying to find out which pack they were from as I usually grab the complete USI download pack from @RoverDude 's DropBox (links in his sig).

Now I'm back to building unmanned craft while we wait patiently for the ability to make them breathe, eat, drink, poop, pee and exhale :D

When it comes to RoverDude, you pretty much have to make a habit of checking his half-dozen threads every day or you'll risk missing something awesome.

When it comes to RoverDude, you pretty much have to make a habit of checking his half-dozen threads every day or you'll risk missing something awesome.

Lol Very true.. And it seems you'll get hooked on his stuff like crack too. Once you use one of his mods you'll inevitably end up getting more of them. Lol. He makes some amazing stuff for sure.

and @ deadpan no worries on trying to remember. I figured it may be tough to, so I asked over there too.

Lol Very true.. And it seems you'll get hooked on his stuff like crack too. Once you use one of his mods you'll inevitably end up getting more of them. Lol. He makes some amazing stuff for sure.

You're telling me! I'm not even that big into the whole resource aspect, but all his little pieces are so well made. I've ditched most of the tanks and drills and such with the exception of the small parts and at least once a week I end up having to add in another new little cockpit or something.

Also, to keep this sort of on-track, I can't wait for TACLS to be updated. And if anyone was curious/hadn't tried yet, TAC Self Destruct works fine in .25