[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Could you add support on taking Mono propellant on EVA just as the LS resources?

Reason is, MP from EVA doesn't subtract when going out nor does it add when going back. Providing endless supply of MP for EVA as long as it can get in a vessel.

Just to add a little more bit of realism and fix a stock bug.

edit: oh yeah, one more thing I like to ask, if its possible to provide a "part variant" context menu just like in the B9 parts.

This greatly reduces catalog clutter and makes easier to edit containers in the VAB without removing all the parts.

Edited by Gfurst

For some reason when I play on a Career mode, the TAC button doesn't show up in the toolbar. It does show up in sandbox, though.

Read back several pages for issues when used with the Tarsier Space Technology mod. Short answer: that mod has an error that prevents some other mods, including TACLS, from loading. Someone else helped find a fix/workaround until TST gets updated. The issue has also been mentioned in TST's thread.

(1) Could you add support on taking Mono propellant on EVA just as the LS resources?

Reason is, MP from EVA doesn't subtract when going out nor does it add when going back. Providing endless supply of MP for EVA as long as it can get in a vessel.

Just to add a little more bit of realism and fix a stock bug.

edit: (2) oh yeah, one more thing I like to ask, if its possible to provide a "part variant" context menu just like in the B9 parts.

This greatly reduces catalog clutter and makes easier to edit containers in the VAB without removing all the parts.

1) No. Squad started to do that and decided not to for various reasons. Also, I do not think that change is within the scope of this mod.

2) I added config files that work with Modular Fuel Tanks, so that when that mod is present, you have one part of each size. I also started working on a config file for TweakScale. I plan on working with the Procedural Parts maintainers to make sure this works well with that mod. If you want, you (or anyone) can make some config files that do what you want and I will consider including them in the mod (or just providing a link to them). I think B9 uses the Firespitter dll? I do not use B9 myself so I will need someone to help.

Any chance this mod could add Tweakscale support? Given all the mods I use it would be nice to have them cut down on parts list clutter.

Look up two lines :)

Hey, is this mod compatible with parts mods that add pods? Like Novapunch, does it just apply the resources to every pod, like Snacks!? Or do I have to manually add LS containers if I use those pods? It doesn't seem to say in the OP or the wiki, but maybe I'm just being dumb.
Glancing at the MM files, it will add appropriate life support resources to any part with a capacity of up to 30 Kerbals.
They do supply some lifesupport to pods from other mods, can confirm on B9. Keep in mind this is only like... a day (I don't know exactly) worth of supplies for a Kerbal (2 days if there is 1 kerbal in a 2-manpod), just like the stock ones.

Yes, this is compatible with mods that add pods including Novapunch. @somnambulist and @DeltaC00K13Z are correct. It will automatically add 3 days of resources to all command pods. The only requirement is that the parts have crew capacity and can act as a control source (so not the stock Hitchhiker part).

It might be better to set number of days of resources rather than setting the resource quantity itself in the Modular Fuel Tank setting menu?

I think that would require changes on MFT's side.

They were indeed related to joystick AND drivers, so I went to unplug the stick and update the drivers, but unfortunately this lead to nothing.

I also tried re-downloading KSP from Steam, which also didn't work.

Then, I tried moving it out of the Program Files (you said they were in the steam folder, but I already got them out of there, so that was a bit weird) and that worked!

I have not a single clue on how & why, but just like the rockets we launch: if it works, it works :P

Thank you for the help & the mod itself of course!

Glad it works now. Have fun :cool:

Hello there,

I'm using Modular Fuel Tanks and KW Rocketery along Karbonite and I've the impression that the support is like crazy... A single food module for 1 crew member last 1y... Is it normal? Which values I should put or is there some way to balance things?

Kind regards.

So, i've messed back and forth with the densities of food, and i've screwed it up. Canyou guys tell me the default densities (as per tacresources) and consumption rates?

You should just need to delete KSP/GameData/ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/PluginData/TacLifeSupport/LifeSupport.cfg and replace

KSP/GameData/ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/TacResources.cfg with the original from the download. If that does not work, then completely delete the entire mod and reinstall. If that does not work, then get me a good log file (see my signature),

Hello there,

I'm using Modular Fuel Tanks and KW Rocketery along Karbonite and I've the impression that the support is like crazy... A single food module for 1 crew member last 1y... Is it normal? Which values I should put or is there some way to balance things?

Kind regards.

I addressed that a few pages back. See what I wrote there. And have you look at the wiki?

And an FAQ appears! I added the answer to that question. I will try to keep adding questions that get asked often. It should save me some time re-typing answers that got buried in the thread.

Edited by TaranisElsu
Added FAQ page to the wiki

I've checked out your research files and must I'm very impressed and it seems very complete.

Something I didn't see was the basic unit for the resource in game, but I'm guessing since its complaint with CRP( community resource thingy), that is 1 unit = 1 liter. (?)

I actually don't know, but if its different then that may be a serious balance issue with the Universal storage containers.

As for balancing I'm thinking of doubling or quadrupling the consumption amount, just cus. Realistically, We would never go on such a long mission without means to recycle resources, with food being the main limiter, and oxygen and water having some loss in the process, not lasting forever.

My main issue with balance though is wrapping around the idea that such small containers can how so much, well maybe not so small, two and a half meters diameter by half a meter height is a pretty big container when you think about it.

Maybe slightly increasing the densities for food and oxygen? reducing the internal volume ratio? (after all there are bound have several structural parts, specially on mixed containers).

I think in real life, the ISS only needs to be re-supplied six months, and that is quite a lot of time too, imagine hauling the market for six months supplies?

Anyway, I'm mostly rambling now, feel quite better about the mod reading all that research you did, Only thing concerning now are the US parts, if they're in fact balanced.

Will be heading there now, Cheers!!!

I addressed that a few pages back. See what I wrote there. And have you look at the wiki?

And an FAQ appears! I added the answer to that question. I will try to keep adding questions that get asked often. It should save me some time re-typing answers that got buried in the thread.

Thank you for the link, sorry I missed the link to the FAQ and spreadsheet. This post is now 200 pages long so I admit I haven't read all of those pages ;)

It's a great mod anyway and I really enjoy it.

Kind regards.

I made a spreadsheet for TAC LS 0.10.1 yes, another one

• It works with Kerbin days (6h) or Earth days (24h);
  • It calculates the time that your resources will last and also;
  • Calculates the resources needed for a mission time.
  • Very easy and fast to use. If you have some doubt, check the comments, if it doesn't help, PM me.

Link to google drive

Enjoy :D

I made a spreadsheet for TAC LS 0.10.1 yes, another one

• It works with Kerbin days (6h) or Earth days (24h);
  • It calculates the time that your resources will last and also;
  • Calculates the resources needed for a mission time.
  • Very easy and fast to use. If you have some doubt, check the comments, if it doesn't help, PM me.

Link to google drive

Enjoy :D

This is quite awesome, I'll be using it quite a lot on my balancing of resources and stuff.

Does anyone know what that 'MaxDeltaTime' value at the resources consumption file?

I've noticed its the same value if using Earth time on the sheet, does it matter in game even if using Kerbin time instead?

edit: oh and only one thing: missing too, electric consumption, though unlikely to need due to generators, but useful just to get an idea

edit2: oh even one more thing: to mod actually, it seems the carbon extractor generates more resource than its consuming, doesn't make much sense, is it really like that?

Edited by Gfurst

Found something that might be an error on the research!

On the part for waste creating for kerbals it is:

(amount of human production)*(percent related to human)/4

The human to kerbal ratio being 25% (or 1/4), I think this 1/4 is doubled resulting a quarter of the intended result.

This applies to all Waste resources and water consumption. Check it out.

edit again: opss, I was reviewing it and saw how the calculations differ, its actually 1/4 of Earth time to Kerbin time, sorry. I'll be quiet now.

Edited by Gfurst

This is quite awesome, I'll be using it quite a lot on my balancing of resources and stuff.

Does anyone know what that 'MaxDeltaTime' value at the resources consumption file?

I've noticed its the same value if using Earth time on the sheet, does it matter in game even if using Kerbin time instead?

edit: oh and only one thing: missing too, electric consumption, though unlikely to need due to generators, but useful just to get an idea

edit2: oh even one more thing: to mod actually, it seems the carbon extractor generates more resource than its consuming, doesn't make much sense, is it really like that?

Using TAC LS without electric generators (solar panels, rtg, fuel cells or nuclear reactors) would require a lot, I mean A LOT of batteries. Wich means the vessel would be heavier. The spreadsheet is made for user vessel's mass optimization, so it's assumed that the user will use solar panels or other stuff that generates Electric Charge.

I'm running ksp 0.24.2 and I downloaded the appropriate version of this add on from curse.

When I resumed my sandbox save, I got a settings window for TAC lifesupport, was able to add the icon on the toolbar at the space centre and flight mode and was able to see the build aid in VAB, i.e. seems like I installed it correctly and it is working fine.

Then I loaded my career save and although I can see the unlocked parts from tech tech and use the parts in the VAB, I can't see the settings window, nor am i able to add the icon on the toolbar or the build aid in VAB.

Anybody else having this issue?

I can provide the log file if that helps.

Edited by iFlyAllTheTime

I think this problem has happened to a lot of people but i can't find a solution so i'll just ask it here.

When i move my mouse over some parts of this mod, in the VAB, they kinda grow untill they dissapear.

Does someone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

P.S I'm not English.

I'm running ksp 0.24.2 and I downloaded the appropriate version of this add on from curse.

When I resumed my sandbox save, I got a settings window for TAC lifesupport, was able to add the icon on the toolbar at the space centre and flight mode and was able to see the build aid in VAB, i.e. seems like I installed it correctly and it is working fine.

Then I loaded my career save and although I can see the unlocked parts from tech tech and use the parts in the VAB, I can't see the settings window, nor am i able to add the icon on the toolbar or the build aid in VAB.

Anybody else having this issue?

I can provide the log file if that helps.

Log file? See my signature. Why didn't you specify which version of TACLS you are using? "I downloaded the appropriate version of this add on from curse" is not very specific. Are you using the Tarsier Space Technology mod? If so, look back several pages for a fix.

I think this problem has happened to a lot of people but i can't find a solution so i'll just ask it here.

When i move my mouse over some parts of this mod, in the VAB, they kinda grow untill they dissapear.

Thanks in advance.

P.S I'm not English.

Log file? See my signature.

Hello, I've recently started using this mod and came across a few issues.

First, in the description of parts that recycle resources, it says something like "efficiency multiplier 5". I only found out what it means after some searching. Could you change the description into something more understandable ? For example, "80% efficiency" or "recycles <input> into 80% <output> and 20% waste". Since you can calculate one from the other, it makes sense to list the more comprehensible number, which is efficiency I think.

Also, when I was looking up the meaning of that efficiency multiplier, I found your spreadsheet. It is very well researched, but I found some inconsistencies with the recyclers (starting at row 312 in the spreadsheet). I'll go through them in order :

Water splitter - is fine.

Carbon extractor (CO2->O2) - this took me a while. I didn't know where its efficiency came from. It is 100% efficient in the sense that it converts 1 mole of CO2 into 1 mole of O2. Its inefficiency comes from Kerbals, whose breathing converts 1 mole of O2 into 0.869 moles of CO2, thus making the overall oxygen cycle 86.9% efficient. Could you maybe add this to the wiki ?

Sabatier recycler - it doesn't make sense to speak of its efficiency, because it's not a closed cycle like the previous one. This one uses water in each cycle, so it's like the combination of water splitter and carbon extractor.

Water purifier - I think there is a miscalculation in the spreadsheet, which comes from cell C362. It says : C362=C360*(D210/D213)*J360, but I think it should be C362=C360*(C210/C213)*J360. Currently, there is actually more water produced than spent. (it's something like 100 water >>>Kerbals>>> 120 waste water >>>recycling>>> 110 water)

Quick suggestion!

What about an "emergency mode" where your kerbals use up less resources? Now that we have reputation that can be penalized for balance (having missions on "emergency" isn't good press...). Also, how about a stasis mode where they require almost nothing at all (maybe only in the hitchhiker module) to incorporate with interstellar travel and other things. This would require money to put kerbals in/out of stasis and the ship would not be controllable until a fixed date.

Thanks for reading! Amazing mod, BTW, congratulations!

Thanks in advance.

P.S I'm not English.

This is a known bug in KSP that TaranisElsu previously reported - see http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/1989 for details.

Quick suggestion!

What about an "emergency mode" where your kerbals use up less resources? Now that we have reputation that can be penalized for balance (having missions on "emergency" isn't good press...). Also, how about a stasis mode where they require almost nothing at all (maybe only in the hitchhiker module) to incorporate with interstellar travel and other things. This would require money to put kerbals in/out of stasis and the ship would not be controllable until a fixed date.

Thanks for reading! Amazing mod, BTW, congratulations!

Humm I like that, an emergency mode where, taking a hit in reputation or something else is better than losing the kerbals, reduced but still continuous consumption.

I also like the stasis idea, but considering its a somewhat future tech and sci-fi, I think its beyond the scope of the mod. Could be for some mods that adds futuristic sci-fi tech stuff.

Hi guys! I have a little problem:

With the default ressource consumption, Kerbals produce 31 Units of CO2 per day/kerbal. (Corresponds to 0.00148012889876 in the settings). This seems a little much to me, but I don't really know anything, especially not the conversion factors.

The Spreadsheet that's available mentions something like "0.067 L/Kerbin-day (liquid)" . How does this relate to the "Units" of CO2 in the game? Could there be a bug?