[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

The Spreadsheet that's available mentions something like "0.067 L/Kerbin-day (liquid)" . How does this relate to the "Units" of CO2 in the game? Could there be a bug?

iirc 1 unit = 1 gram. I'm not sure where liquid CO2 comes into play with Taranis' math but it's not used in game.

Hello, I've recently started using this mod and came across a few issues.

First, in the description of parts that recycle resources, it says something like "efficiency multiplier 5". I only found out what it means after some searching. Could you change the description into something more understandable ? For example, "80% efficiency" or "recycles <input> into 80% <output> and 20% waste". Since you can calculate one from the other, it makes sense to list the more comprehensible number, which is efficiency I think.

Also, when I was looking up the meaning of that efficiency multiplier, I found your spreadsheet. It is very well researched, but I found some inconsistencies with the recyclers (starting at row 312 in the spreadsheet). I'll go through them in order :

Water splitter - is fine.

Carbon extractor (CO2->O2) - this took me a while. I didn't know where its efficiency came from. It is 100% efficient in the sense that it converts 1 mole of CO2 into 1 mole of O2. Its inefficiency comes from Kerbals, whose breathing converts 1 mole of O2 into 0.869 moles of CO2, thus making the overall oxygen cycle 86.9% efficient. Could you maybe add this to the wiki ?

Sabatier recycler - it doesn't make sense to speak of its efficiency, because it's not a closed cycle like the previous one. This one uses water in each cycle, so it's like the combination of water splitter and carbon extractor.

Water purifier - I think there is a miscalculation in the spreadsheet, which comes from cell C362. It says : C362=C360*(D210/D213)*J360, but I think it should be C362=C360*(C210/C213)*J360. Currently, there is actually more water produced than spent. (it's something like 100 water >>>Kerbals>>> 120 waste water >>>recycling>>> 110 water)

Thank you for finding the mistake in the Water Purifier. I will take a look at it: https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/issues/50. As for the "efficiency multiplier", that was intended to indicate how much longer your supplies should last with the recycler compared to without. So if you pack 100 days of oxygen and a recycler, it should last for 500 days or whatever.

Quick suggestion!

What about an "emergency mode" where your kerbals use up less resources? Now that we have reputation that can be penalized for balance (having missions on "emergency" isn't good press...). Also, how about a stasis mode where they require almost nothing at all (maybe only in the hitchhiker module) to incorporate with interstellar travel and other things. This would require money to put kerbals in/out of stasis and the ship would not be controllable until a fixed date.

Thanks for reading! Amazing mod, BTW, congratulations!

I will consider an "emergency mode", but I have already said that I will not put in a stasis mode. Not until we get true interstellar travel. In my opinion, it is not necessary for interplanetary travel.

This is a known bug in KSP that TaranisElsu previously reported - see http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/1989 for details.
Oh, thanks.

But this mod contains a work-around for the included parts, and if you are seeing that for included parts then something is wrong. Hence the request for a log file. Because without a log file, I have no idea what could be going wrong and anything I say would just be a guess.

Hi guys! I have a little problem:

With the default ressource consumption, Kerbals produce 31 Units of CO2 per day/kerbal. (Corresponds to 0.00148012889876 in the settings). This seems a little much to me, but I don't really know anything, especially not the conversion factors.

The Spreadsheet that's available mentions something like "0.067 L/Kerbin-day (liquid)" . How does this relate to the "Units" of CO2 in the game? Could there be a bug?

iirc 1 unit = 1 gram. I'm not sure where liquid CO2 comes into play with Taranis' math but it's not used in game.

1 unit = 1 liter

Kerbals generate 31.97 units (liters) of CarbonDioxide per Kerbal per Kerbin-day. It is compressed (to a liquid state) when stored so that it only takes up 0.067 L of space. That number was used when calculating how much could fit in the different containers.

Thank you for finding the mistake in the Water Purifier. I will take a look at it: https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/issues/50.

Oh, apparently someone already noticed this a month ago: https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/issues/42. I hadn't thought about checking the github issues.

As for the "efficiency multiplier", that was intended to indicate how much longer your supplies should last with the recycler compared to without. So if you pack 100 days of oxygen and a recycler, it should last for 500 days or whatever.

Yes, I figured that out eventually, but my point is that it is not immediately apparent from the description, and new players might be confused like me. Maybe I could add some information on recyclers to the wiki ?

Water purifier - I think there is a miscalculation in the spreadsheet, which comes from cell C362. It says : C362=C360*(D210/D213)*J360, but I think it should be C362=C360*(C210/C213)*J360. Currently, there is actually more water produced than spent. (it's something like 100 water >>>Kerbals>>> 120 waste water >>>recycling>>> 110 water)

I posted an issue on the github page about that, and I was told that that extra water comes from:

Food isn't 100% dehydrated,

Humans do produce food when we bread down food in our cells.

@TaranisElsu

Dreadicon is currently working on an integration config for TAC Life Support and RealFuels mod (progress can be found over on his dev thread)- so you can use Methane from TAC Life Support Sabatier Reactors in your NERVA rockets! (or RCS- and with KSP-Interstellar installed, also in Meth/LOX chemical rockets)

Methane is of course an important fuel being looked at for use in real life (this isn't by any means new- over 30 years ago the Soviets concluded that they could get the best performance possible out of conventional chemical rockets with Meth/LOX Full Flow Staged Combustion rocket engines- although actual implementation of this idea had to wait until Space-X and their recent design work on the "Raptor" heavy-lift engine...) and is one of the primary possible fuels for a NERVA or Timberwind-style nuclear thermal rocket (the other commonly-considered fuels being Liquid Hydrogen, Ammonia, and plain old Water)

Anyways, I just thought you might be interested to hear about that. Now, on to more important stuff...

I was wondering why the Water Splitter/Electrolysis recycler cannot also be used to recycle WasteWater. In real life, electrolysis is quite operable on human urine- and is being used to experimentally treat human wastewater before discharge into the environment (electrolysis of a water-urea solution produces Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Carbon Dioxide gasses). The Carbon Dioxide produced can easily be dealt with by the systems already in place to filter CO2 out of a spacecraft's breathing air, and the Nitrogen actually makes a useful buffer gas for the astronauts- and it's not as if you have to lift extra mass up this way to obtain it (composing the majority of Earth's atmosphere as it is, but spacecraft tend to contain far less Nitrogen in their breathing air mostly to save on mass...)

Links for proof:

http://www.ohio.edu/engineering/ceer/research/urea.cfm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0920586112000739

Hydrogen is also a useful gas for rocketry, so RealFuels could have a field-day with changing the Water Splitter/Electrolysis unit to produce LiquidH2 instead of Waste if you enabled it to have a WasteWater-recycling functionality...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Hello, I've recently started using this mod and came across a few issues.

First, in the description of parts that recycle resources, it says something like "efficiency multiplier 5". I only found out what it means after some searching. Could you change the description into something more understandable ? For example, "80% efficiency" or "recycles <input> into 80% <output> and 20% waste". Since you can calculate one from the other, it makes sense to list the more comprehensible number, which is efficiency I think.

Also, when I was looking up the meaning of that efficiency multiplier, I found your spreadsheet. It is very well researched, but I found some inconsistencies with the recyclers (starting at row 312 in the spreadsheet). I'll go through them in order :

Water splitter - is fine.

Carbon extractor (CO2->O2) - this took me a while. I didn't know where its efficiency came from. It is 100% efficient in the sense that it converts 1 mole of CO2 into 1 mole of O2. Its inefficiency comes from Kerbals, whose breathing converts 1 mole of O2 into 0.869 moles of CO2, thus making the overall oxygen cycle 86.9% efficient. Could you maybe add this to the wiki ?

Sabatier recycler - it doesn't make sense to speak of its efficiency, because it's not a closed cycle like the previous one. This one uses water in each cycle, so it's like the combination of water splitter and carbon extractor.

Well it's always complicated of what organisms produce. Been long time since I thought of organic chemistry, so I hope I still remember these correctly. In simplified terms...

There is a good amount of 'water' trapped in the food. Even dry carbohydrates have the "hydrate part".

If you look at most sugars, CnH2nOn. So by mass H+O is 60%, they are also in perfect H20 ratio. Now of course you'll need oxygen for the carbon, so by mass the ratio between incoming sugar and oxygen (mix) is roughly 48/52% and the resulting H20 to C02 is 29/71%. All the oxygen will end up in CO2.

Things with fats are much more complicated. They contain mostly C and H, with very little oxygen, so generally "chain of CH2". In any case, intake oxygen will be used to produce both C02 and H2O. So if we consider just the CH2 parts, you get 22%(CH2)/78%(O) resulting in 29%(H20)/71%(C02). Here 33% of the oxygen used will actually end up in water.

Proteins are just too complicated for me (though they are mainly CH + other stuff with less oxygen). They are more interesting for their nitrogen, and form.

Interestingly the output is the same in both cases, however second case uses much more oxygen. The first case will release the hydrate part as water, second will produce it. In both cases you have extra water entering the system, even if you assume completely dry food. Metabolism will in fact produce water. Obviously second case will require oxygen to fix the hydrogen as well, so you'll end up with less CO2 for the same amount of oxygen.

So realistically, if you are not dumping/splitting water you will in fact end up with more water. This is pretty important fact for any LS.

This is one of the reasons why a water splitter (IRL) would make sense. Why would you bring water splitter and water, instead of just oxygen (other than tank tech)? Reasons are two.

1. You need a way to release the oxygen fixed in the metabolism (case 2). You also get extra water coming in with food, or hydrates in it.

2. Resulting hydrogen can be used in sabatier reaction, thus reclaiming oxygen fixed in CO2, (in form of water which can be split again). A RL carbon extractor (splitter+sabatier) would generally suffer from hydrogen shortage. You need 4 waters to break one C02, and get 2 water back.

Another interesting thing is that a lot of the water can be easily reclaimed as condensate. For some reason when we talk about water recycling, most people seem tho think about urine, while a lot of water is actually reclaimed as humidity control, and is much easier to recycle.

Edited by Aedile

Issue with this plugin(x86). Adding the life support module and resources to a craft that has moduleengines using monopropellant as a fuel causes the ship to load on the pad with the engines already activated. This is a problem for upper stage as you must manually disable the engines before launching every time. It's also a problem with the default throttle being set to 50%, this causes the upper stage engines to blow up the lower stages.

log: https://www./?n9m84fu2nuc6g0h

This is on a test install of ksp, my mod and it's dependencies. The install is a clean install, new save file and clean install of your mod. All other plugins are up to date.

EDIT: I tracked down the problem to the water purifier. If you include this module directly on any part with an engine it causes the engine to load on the launch pad in an activated state.

Edited by raidernick

Issue with this plugin(x86). Adding the life support module and resources to a craft that has moduleengines using monopropellant as a fuel causes the ship to load on the pad with the engines already activated. This is a problem for upper stage as you must manually disable the engines before launching every time. It's also a problem with the default throttle being set to 50%, this causes the upper stage engines to blow up the lower stages.

log: https://www./?n9m84fu2nuc6g0h

This is on a test install of ksp, my mod and it's dependencies. The install is a clean install, new save file and clean install of your mod. All other plugins are up to date.

EDIT: I tracked down the problem to the water purifier. If you include this module directly on any part with an engine it causes the engine to load on the launch pad in an activated state.

Please don't use Mediafire (too much ad spam).

Do you know why you get all of these?

HandleD3DDeviceLost
HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename: Line: 1502)

HandleD3DDeviceLost
Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

Maybe try forcing OpenGL?

Err... yeah... I should have thought about that right away. In order for a part to function, it has to be activated. Otherwise, KSP/Unity won't call the update method. Activating the part causes all modules on the part to start functioning -- both the converter and the engine. This is not a bug, it is a limitation of KSP/Unity.

Short answer: don't do that.

Long answer: there is not a good solution (that I know of).

Log file? See my signature. Why didn't you specify which version of TACLS you are using? "I downloaded the appropriate version of this add on from curse" is not very specific. Are you using the Tarsier Space Technology mod? If so, look back several pages for a fix.

I didn't specify the version since I was posting from my iPad and didn't have access to my PC at the time. I just remembered I looking through the list on Curse and downloading for 0.24.2 that I'm running.

Anyways, I have 0.10.0.12

Also, here's the log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76eo1ol5wr9qtqi/Output%20log%20for%20TACLS.log?dl=0

Please don't use Mediafire (too much ad spam).

Do you know why you get all of these?

HandleD3DDeviceLost
Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename: Line: 1502)

HandleD3DDeviceLost
Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

Maybe try forcing OpenGL?

Err... yeah... I should have thought about that right away. In order for a part to function, it has to be activated. Otherwise, KSP/Unity won't call the update method. Activating the part causes all modules on the part to start functioning -- both the converter and the engine. This is not a bug, it is a limitation of KSP/Unity.

Short answer: don't do that.

Long answer: there is not a good solution (that I know of).

Thanks for letting me know. I will just put the module on a separate part. As for the gfx invalid state errors, those are because I minimized the game when it was in fullscreen mode(to open fraps).

I didn't specify the version since I was posting from my iPad and didn't have access to my PC at the time. I just remembered I looking through the list on Curse and downloading for 0.24.2 that I'm running.

Anyways, I have 0.10.0.12

Also, here's the log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76eo1ol5wr9qtqi/Output%20log%20for%20TACLS.log?dl=0

Did you try temporarily removing the Tarsier Space Technologies mod and see if the issue goes away?

If it does, check that mod's thread to see if there is a fix yet or look back several pages to where I helped someone with a workaround.

Thanks for letting me know. I will just put the module on a separate part. As for the gfx invalid state errors, those are because I minimized the game when it was in fullscreen mode(to open fraps).

You're welcome. Have fun :cool:

Did you try temporarily removing the Tarsier Space Technologies mod and see if the issue goes away?

If it does, check that mod's thread to see if there is a fix yet or look back several pages to where I helped someone with a workaround.

I'll try that and report back.

EDIT:

Ok, I removed the TST folder from my Gamedata folder and was rather relieved when I first loaded KSP.

I could now see the TACLS icon show up in the toolbar.

However, now every time I enter a building, say Mission Control or R&D, it doesn't let me return to the Spacecenter view.

Here's the KSP log and the output log for my most recent session in KSP:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xo8ok3r9hbmjk7k/AACh7sJFsMp-0fbLGQhSpUDta?dl=0

Edited by iFlyAllTheTime

Hi, I'm unable to play this mod with the career mode. The resources are not used in career mode and there is no window that usually says whether i want to enable this mod when i'm starting a new game.

I can play on other mode (sandbox and science).

I have KSP 0.25 32 bit on mac and i am playing with version 0.10.1

Here is my log:

https://www./?61d89vywy67a86l

Also I'm playing with a lot of mods

Edited by akbar_rizqi

A quick note that I've finally had time to test my greenhouse against the latest version of KSP and TAC LS. The Mk1 Greenhouse works as before and is available here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84246-0-25-MunSeeker-Mk1-Greenhouse-%28TAC-Life-Support-0-10-add-on%29-Update-Nov-1-2014

I had to remove the smaller Mk2 Greenhouse since I have problems in 0.25 with applying textures to the stock model I was using before.

EDIT:

Ok, I removed the TST folder from my Gamedata folder and was rather relieved when I first loaded KSP.

However, now every time I enter a building, say Mission Control or R&D, it doesn't let me return to the Spacecenter view.

There are no errors in your log from this mod, and many from others. Try searching your log file (the output_log.txt one) for "exception" and removing those mods until you have no exceptions any more and/or your problem goes away. Then try re-adding the mods one at a time until the exceptions and/or your problem returns. That mod is possibly the culprite. Report it on that mod's thread and give the author a chance to help.

Possible ones to start with, based on where the exceptions occurred: US_Core (not likely? #4), Contracts (possible? #1), KerbalAlarmClock (not likely? #3), DebRefund (maybe? #2)

Hi, I'm unable to play this mod with the career mode. The resources are not used in career mode and there is no window that usually says whether i want to enable this mod when i'm starting a new game.

I can play on other mode (sandbox and science).

I have KSP 0.25 32 bit on mac and i am playing with version 0.10.1

Here is my log:

https://www./?61d89vywy67a86l

Also I'm playing with a lot of mods

Yay log file! Ew mediafire :(. You are using Tarsier Space Tech. Read back several pages (many many pages now?) to possible solutions. Let me know if that works.

A quick note that I've finally had time to test my greenhouse against the latest version of KSP and TAC LS. The Mk1 Greenhouse works as before and is available here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84246-0-25-MunSeeker-Mk1-Greenhouse-%28TAC-Life-Support-0-10-add-on%29-Update-Nov-1-2014

I had to remove the smaller Mk2 Greenhouse since I have problems in 0.25 with applying textures to the stock model I was using before.

Did you see that I linked to you from the wiki?

Edited by TaranisElsu
Added ranking of possible culprits.

EDIT:

Hi, I went though the log file and found some errors for Universal Storage. It looks like you're not using the latest version of either Universal Storage, Dmagic Orbital science or both. If you update these you should see these errors go away, and the parts become available.

I have TAC Life Support installed, but its not working in career mode.

It works fine in Science and Sandbox, but not in Career.

Does anyone know why?

Log file?

And come on! Read one page, please!?! There is a post 3 above yours that is most likely relevant. If you are using Tarsier Space Technologies, that mod is interfering with this one. Nothing I can do. Read back several pages where I helped someone find a work-around.

TACLS Declutter

TACLS Declutter condenses thirty resource containers down to two tweakable, resizable containers.

JWHbGE2.png

Requirements

Safety First

You can safely use TACLS Declutter with an existing save -- the default TACLS containers are hidden in the editor and tech tree but the actual parts are still in the game. Craft built after TACLS Declutter is installed will break if it's removed.

Known Issues

• The waste containers start filled. You need to manually empty the contents in the editor.
  • All containers are based on the 1.25m or 1x sizes. The resources in scaled containers might vary from the stock TACLS equivalents. Plan accordingly.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

// TACLS Declutter by Somnambulist v.1 2014-11-02
// =====================================================================
// Simplifies TAC LS' containers down to two parts. Requires FireSpitter
// for resource/texture switching and TweakScale for scaling.
// License: The MIT License (MIT) http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
// =====================================================================

+PART[HexCanLifeSupport]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
@name = HexCanConfigurableTACLifeSupport
@title = TACLS HexCan

@description = A configurable hexagonal canister for holding Life Support products.

!RESOURCE[Food] {}
!RESOURCE[Water] {}
!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}

@MODEL,0 {
!texture,0 =
}

MODULE
{
name = FStextureSwitch2
objectNames = Canister
nextButtonText = Next Canister
prevButtonText = Previous Canister
textureRootFolder = ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupportHexCans/
textureNames = HexCanLifeSupport/Texture;HexCanFood/Texture;HexCanBreathingOxygen/Texture;HexCanDrinkingWater/Texture;HexCanWaste/WasteTexture;
textureDisplayNames = Life Support;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste;
useFuelSwitchModule = true
fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;
showInfo = true
}

MODULE
{
name = FSfuelSwitch
resourceNames = Oxygen,Water,Food;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste,WasteWater,CarbonDioxide;
resourceAmounts = 6211.2,40.5,61.3;130;28747.5;130;10.5,98,10183.4;
displayCurrentTankCost = true
hasGUI = false
showInfo = false
}

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = surface
freeScale = false
defaultScale = 1.0
scaleFactors = .5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0
scaleNames = 50%, 100%, 200%, 400%
techRequired = survivability, survivability, heavyRocketry, experimentalRocketry
}
}

@PART[HexCan*]:HAS[#author[*Taranis*]]
{
@category = -1
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = unresearchable
}

@PART[HexCanConfigurableTACLifeSupport]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
@category = Utility
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = survivability
}

+PART[TacLifeSupportContainer]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
@name = ContainerConfigurableTACLifeSupport
@title = TACLS Container

@description = A configurable container for holding Life Support products.

!RESOURCE[Food] {}
!RESOURCE[Water] {}
!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}

@MODEL,0 {
!texture,0 =
}

MODULE
{
name = FStextureSwitch2
objectNames = MyContainer
nextButtonText = Next Container
prevButtonText = Previous Container
textureRootFolder = ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupportContainers/
textureNames = Texture;FoodTexture;OxygenTexture;WaterTexture;WasteTexture;
textureDisplayNames = Life Support;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste;
useFuelSwitchModule = true
fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;
showInfo = true
}

MODULE
{
name = FSfuelSwitch
resourceNames = Oxygen,Water,Food;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste,WasteWater,CarbonDioxide;
resourceAmounts = 6211.2,40.5,61.3;240;53072.3;240;19.5,180.9,18800.1;
displayCurrentTankCost = true
hasGUI = false
showInfo = false
}

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
techRequired = survivability, survivability, heavyRocketry, veryHeavyRocketry, experimentalRocketry
}
}

@PART[Tac*Container*]:HAS[#author[*Taranis*]]
{
@category = -1
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = unresearchable
}

@PART[ContainerConfigurableTACLifeSupport]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
@category = Utility
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = survivability
}

@somnambulist

Cool. Added a link to the wiki.

How does your TweakScale integration compare to my attempt?

Yay! It Works now :)

For anyone wondering on how i fixed it, simply download this file https://www.dropbox.com/s/djy74atmwospmvp/TarsierSpaceTech.dll?dl=0 , and then copy it to GameData/TarsierSpaceTech . Overwrite the TarsierSpaceTech.dll file

Glad you got it working :), and thank you for replying back here for others that might be having the same issue.

You might want to edit your post though to include information about where you found the fix. I don't like downloading random DLL's without a better idea of what it includes: i.e. what was changed or fixed, what code actually changed, and who did it. I know that the author, tobyb121, has been away/busy lately so he did not fix it.

windows 64-bit compatibility

until squad fixes the windows 64-bit version to make it more stable and less buggy, i will not be supporting this version at all. Please do not post any problems unless you can recreate them in another version: The windows 32-bit, mac (osx), or linux. Read the [official] how to get support and my post on the subject. Ksp 0.25 made the windows 64-bit version even worse ;.;.

i run 64-bit and i have no problems!!!!! It is stable