[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

i run 64-bit and i have no problems!!!!! It is stable

Feel lucky, my game does not even survive the mainmenu in x64.

@TaranisElsu:

Thanks for this mod, it is really great; I'm plying a challenge against an college in a week with it, LS it is the real challenge for us ;)

This may seem like a stupid question but ...

Why is there a separate Life Support meter on my Command Capsule that is constantly depleting with no way to stop it.

I'm not taking about Oxygen or food or Water or Waste. (and yes I have plenty and they are functioning)

This is another meter actually called LifeSupport and it seems to count back from 20000 regardless of what resources I have.

There is also no way to restock it as there is no resources actually called LifeSupport.

Like I said this may be a stupid question.

I can't think of any Mod that I have other than Better than starting Manned, that would Interfere with it.

Update: Never mind BTSM adds that resource. I'll see if I can't disable it via the .cfg file

UpdateUpdate: Well you can't disable it via the .cfg file, but you can make them so ridiculously large that they become irrelevant.

Edited by Commander Hoek

Question: Why are TAC resources only added to command pods and not all crew-capable parts?

The TAC module is added to all parts with crew capacity (see MM_AddLifeSupportModule.cfg) but TAC resources are only added to parts with both crew capacity AND command (see MM_AddResources.cfg). Many space station-type parts have crew but no command. Is there a logic I'm missing? I removed the requirement from my install and all seems well.

hello, I have a question:

Is there a way to disable TAC-LS on selected craft?

I'm having some problems while using high time warp so I'd like to disable it temporarily if possible... either on just selected crafts or during selected periods.

thanks and sorry if this was already asked, I couldn't find it in the thread and/or in the "wiki"

How is TAC supposed to work on bases/ships which are currently not controlled? If I have an environment that usually generates a lifesupport surplus, why is it that the numbers tick down in realtime whenever I don't control the base/ship? It's rather awkward to have to switch to a base every 80 days in order for them to not completely drain, even though they shouldn't. What do I do except stocking up on more lifesupport?

Someone please explain a fix to me for the issue with electric charge ALWAYS running out during high warp... and TAC Life Support ending the time warp? I don't feel like doing a 2 day time acceleration at only 10x speed because of this mod.

I love this mod... but this is beyond stupid. A little help would be appreciated. Perhaps there is some switch or some such that can be used so that TAC LS doesn't track Electric charge during time warp?

~Steve

EDIT:

I have almost 5k in battery and almost nothing is using power while warping. This has just always been a problem with TAC LS

Edited by NeoAcario

This may seem like a stupid question but ...

Why is there a separate Life Support meter on my Command Capsule that is constantly depleting with no way to stop it.

I'm not taking about Oxygen or food or Water or Waste. (and yes I have plenty and they are functioning)

This is another meter actually called LifeSupport and it seems to count back from 20000 regardless of what resources I have.

There is also no way to restock it as there is no resources actually called LifeSupport.

Like I said this may be a stupid question.

I can't think of any Mod that I have other than Better than starting Manned, that would Interfere with it.

Update: Never mind BTSM adds that resource. I'll see if I can't disable it via the .cfg file

UpdateUpdate: Well you can't disable it via the .cfg file, but you can make them so ridiculously large that they become irrelevant.

Edit I see you found issue. ;)

Edited by malkuth

EDIT:

I have almost 5k in battery and almost nothing is using power while warping. This has just always been a problem with TAC LS

Scientists have recently discovered that Kerbals in orbit require not only snacks, water, and oxygen, but also electricity to run climate control systems, radios, and other such equipment. This fascinating discovery has led to solutions like "Hm, maybe I should put a solar panel on this thing".

Scientists have recently discovered that Kerbals in orbit require not only snacks, water, and oxygen, but also electricity to run climate control systems, radios, and other such equipment. This fascinating discovery has led to solutions like "Hm, maybe I should put a solar panel on this thing".

I have RTGs and other means of generating electricity. I have easily 10,000 times the power generation required. The problem is that high warp always brings down electric charge.

Is there any plan to make a fix for this?

~Steve

EDIT:

I forget.. does TAC:LS kill off Kerbals for too many G-forces also? Have you considered implementing that? Perhaps a couple minutes at 10g+ or instant death at 20g?

Edited by NeoAcario

I have RTGs and other means of generating electricity. I have easily 10,000 times the power generation required. The problem is that high warp always brings down electric charge.

My apologies. It does sound like a bug. Given that, though, it would be very helpful to follow these instructions, particularly with regards to getting a log file uploaded he can look at.

I forget.. does TAC:LS kill off Kerbals for too many G-forces also? Have you considered implementing that? Perhaps a couple minutes at 10g+ or instant death at 20g?

Deadly Reentry has it. If you set the heating-related variables to be trivial, you can have DRE's G-force implementation without the reentry heating problems.

My apologies. It does sound like a bug. Given that, though, it would be very helpful to follow these instructions, particularly with regards to getting a log file uploaded he can look at..

It could just be a problem with KSP Interstellar mod. But it's odd... I turned EVERYTHING off and back on, and now I can go all the way to 100x warp and still BARELY had power left 500/4500. Before, I would run out of power between 10x and 50x. Oh well. If I can go to 100x I'm a happy guy. 10x is just too brutal though.

~Steve

It could just be a problem with KSP Interstellar mod. But it's odd... I turned EVERYTHING off and back on, and now I can go all the way to 100x warp and still BARELY had power left 500/4500. Before, I would run out of power between 10x and 50x. Oh well. If I can go to 100x I'm a happy guy. 10x is just too brutal though.

~Steve

Are you using an Interstellar part that consumes ElectricCharge? I've definitely experienced those causing weird shenanigans with wildly fluctuating ElectricCharge levels during higher time warp (I think it's because ElectricCharge still uses the stock resource manager system, which has some weirdnesses at high time warp). Antimatter containers and fusion reactors in particular can be unhelpful due to their power consumption and ability to consume ElectricCharge. Anything that consumes Megajoules is less volatile since those use Fractal's custom resource manager.

Are you using an Interstellar part that consumes ElectricCharge? I've definitely experienced those causing weird shenanigans with wildly fluctuating ElectricCharge levels during higher time warp (I think it's because ElectricCharge still uses the stock resource manager system, which has some weirdnesses at high time warp). Antimatter containers and fusion reactors in particular can be unhelpful due to their power consumption and ability to consume ElectricCharge. Anything that consumes Megajoules is less volatile since those use Fractal's custom resource manager.

No no.. I was actually mistaken earlier. This particular ship does NOT have an RTG. My only generation of Electric Charge is in fact a small fission reactor. This is most likely the culprit. Even with NOTHING using EC, it usually runs out if you try and warp over 1,000x with any KSPI craft. I'm guessing that slapping an RTG onto it will fix the problem. And no, none of the KSP Interstellar parts use Electric Charge. Well, not directly.

~Steve

EDIT:

Deadly Reentry has it. If you set the heating-related variables to be trivial, you can have DRE's G-force implementation without the reentry heating problems.

Yes, I know DRE uses G forces to kill Kerbals... I just wondered why a mod that's built around the life and death of Kerbals doesn't. I'd rather get all of my Kerbal fatalities from a single mod! Any chance for adding it to TAC:LS?

Edited by NeoAcario

Yes, I know DRE uses G forces to kill Kerbals... I just wondered why a mod that's built around the life and death of Kerbals doesn't. I'd rather get all of my Kerbal fatalities from a single mod! Any chance for adding it to TAC:LS?

As I see it, it's because TAC Life Support is about resource management, and making sure your Kerbals have enough snacks to survive the crazy missions you send them on, while Deadly Reentry is about punishing you for stupid reentries. They both revolve around the life and death of Kerbals, with different flavors of what they're trying to make you do.

Besides, the DRE code is already fairly plugged into KSP physics, while, to my knowledge, TAC Life Support has got no hooks into the physics.

As I see it, it's because TAC Life Support is about resource management, and making sure your Kerbals have enough snacks to survive the crazy missions you send them on, while Deadly Reentry is about punishing you for stupid reentries. They both revolve around the life and death of Kerbals, with different flavors of what they're trying to make you do.

Besides, the DRE code is already fairly plugged into KSP physics, while, to my knowledge, TAC Life Support has got no hooks into the physics.

Very good coding point... guess I'll forego DRE and just not be stupid with G-forces on my own. Not too hard to not do 90 degree re-entries.

~Steve

I like the mod, except that I don't want to use all the resources. I tried editing the config so that kerbals don't produce WasteWater, and don't consume Food, but whichever way I do it, it stops all of the life support resources draining. Is there any way to get this to work without certain resources?

Hey, I like TAC life support, but is there anyway to change the waste produced by TAC electrolysis to be turned into (usefull) hydrogen? Because wasting hydrogen is truly a waste!

EDIT: I did it myself, I also modified the amount of Hydrogen produced and the amount of power required. They were both rediculously low. I use the electrolyzer in Universal storage as a base, which it based on real ISS electrolyzers. At least now they don't break the laws of conservation, which they previously did big time. Note that this will have consequences for the amount of power you need on a station. While before you needed only very little, now you need 55x more energy for your electrolyzer, like on a real space station! It now requires 17.80 E/s that's slight less than the amount of a single stock Gigantor XL Solar Array can produce ( which produces 18 E/s)

// --- resource parameters ---
MODULE
{
name = TacGenericConverter
converterName = Water Splitter

// A scaling factor by which the resource amounts are multiplied
conversionRate = 8.16

// A comma separated list of resources to use as inputs.
// For each resource, list the resource name and the amount (which
// is multiplied by the conversionRate)
inputResources = Water, 0.000002720508341, ElectricCharge, 2.181784053468
// old : inputResources = Water, 0.000002720508341, ElectricCharge, 0.039783051310155

// A comma separated list of resources to output. Same as above
// but also specify whether it should keep converting if the
// resource is full (generating excess that will be thrown away).
outputResources = Oxygen, 0.001713537562385, false, Hydrogen, 0.000856767687811925, true
// old: outputResources = Oxygen, 0.001713537562385, false, Waste, 0.000000405893838, true
}

Edited by FreeThinker

NeoAcario ,

Those problems with EC are KSPI problems. If you will remove KSPI it will work fine.

They seem to be caused by any KSPI part that CAN consume EC, like cryostats, fusion reactors, antimatter tanks, etc. And it does not matter if you have megajoules available, if part can consume EC it will cause problems...

Only one thing TACLS does to make it worse - it halts timewarp when EC runs out. But... you can disable this, and you kerbals will die....

Had a strange issue. When launching after reloading a quicksave, the TAC icon and TAC monitor never showed up, and resources never drained. Once I went back to the space center and returned to the ship, resources started draining. Might want to double check the logic that doesn't cause resource drain before launch?

So I just installed this, and while the in-line recycler parts show up, the rest of them don't.

The mod works, Kerbals consume resources and everything, but I get no supply containers, no tanks, nothing anywhere in the part tree.

Any ideas as to why this may happen?

ps I'm using module manager 2.5.1

Edited by Motorsheep

Had a strange issue. When launching after reloading a quicksave, the TAC icon and TAC monitor never showed up, and resources never drained. Once I went back to the space center and returned to the ship, resources started draining. Might want to double check the logic that doesn't cause resource drain before launch?

Log file? (See my signature)

So I just installed this, and while the in-line recycler parts show up, the rest of them don't.

The mod works, Kerbals consume resources and everything, but I get no supply containers, no tanks, nothing anywhere in the part tree.

Any ideas as to why this may happen?

ps I'm using module manager 2.5.1

Log file? (See my signature)

Looking through my mod list, I realized I had some stuff loaded that wasn't even 0.25 compatible anymore. I guess that was the reason, because after disabling all of my mods, loading the game once, and then loading all the mods I needed again, TAC LS now works.