[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

My question though is basically:

Are the recyclers meant to be 100% efficient, meaning that a recycler plus a small amount of supplies should support a mission indefinitely for air and water and leave food as the only limiting factor? That implies that what's happened to my ship is a bug, so I'll feel nothing wrong in editing the savefile to work around it.

Or are they meant to be less than 100% efficient, meaning that even with recycling you still need sufficient initial supplies and no mission can be indefinitely self-sufficient in air and/or water? In that case what's happened to my ship is intentional behaviour, so I'll have to send more supplies legitimately.

Taranis answered this in Twitch chat: They are not meant to be 100% efficient. The water can appear to be because the loss in the water purifier is made up for by the Kerbals producing wasterwater from their food intake as well as their water intake, the food being considered as not all dehydrated.

Time to send that urgent resupply mission.

It also makes me wonder how many Kerbal-days you need to be supplying for the recyclers to even be more mass-efficient than just sending more raw supplies.

Hello everyone,

Do you know when the 0.90 compatibility update is planed for?

Thank you

In the OP it's listed that he have a .90 beta fix, and it was said that it's more than likely going to be this version that becomes the release.

In the OP it's listed that he have a .90 beta fix, and it was said that it's more than likely going to be this version that becomes the release.

Can anyone download this? I've been trying the link in the OP, and it either fails, times out, or claims to download, but leaves me with a zip that won't open.

So its stable enough to start a career with this mod?

So its stable enough to start a career with this mod?

Yes. Several of us on this thread are using it for active career games. I am using it with MKS/OKS, Universal Storage, Karbonite, KAS, ATM, TextureReplacer and about 15 other mods, and so far it's stable as a rock. Then again, I'm also on a MacBook Air, so stability isn't an issue as long as I keep the textures below the 4GB limit.

I'm looking forward to 64bit OSX Unity builds, whenever those happen.

ModList:

--------------------

6S Service Tubes

Blizzy's Toolbar

Active Texture Management

BoxSat

Connected Living Space

DangIt

Deadly Reentry

Distant Object Enhancement

DMagic Orbital Science

Environmental Visual Enhancements

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Final Frontier

Firespitter (plugin only)

HullCamera VDS

JSI (Raster Prop Monitor)

Karbonite

KeepFit

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Construction Time

KSP Alarm Clock

KSP Alternate Resource Panel

KSPRC (parts of - mostly just the clouds and city lights for EVE, plus a few other textures)

KW Rocketry (just the fairings)

ModuleManager

NavBall Docking Alignment Indicator

NearFuture Construction

PlanetShine

PreciseNode

RemoteTech

SCANsat

Ship Manifest

StageRecovery

SXMk2

Texture Replacer

TAC Life Support

Transfer Window Planner

Tweakable Everything

USI Exploration Pack

USI FTT

USI SrvPack

Universal Storage

VOID

----------------------

I *think* that's all of them. I have to run at half textures, even with TR and ATM installed. Runs like a champ, though. My "must-have" mods are:

TAC-LS (Of course)

DangIt

KSP Alarm Clock

VOID

DMagic Orbital Science

Deadly Reentry

RemoteTech

The "Magnificent Seven" of KSP, IMO. Those mods, along with either Kethane or Karbonite are the real "game-changer" mods for me - oh, and EVE, it's nice to have clouds. So I guess the Magnificent Seven is really the Non-Optional Nine. ;-)

Except when I am playing stock vanilla. :-D

cantab said:
It also makes me wonder how many Kerbal-days you need to be supplying for the recyclers to even be more mass-efficient than just sending more raw supplies.

I answered this question a while ago, adding some calculations to TaranisElsu's spreadsheet (though I haven't yet worked out how to take the more complicated cycles into account). The short answer is that recyclers pay off for missions longer than about six years (e.g. round-trip crewed mission to Jool or beyond, permanent stations or bases). Less than that (e.g. round-trip to Duna or anywhere inside of Duna), and you're better off with raw supplies.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra
Fixed link with the forum update.

A couple of questions,

First, Kerbas, can i find a copy of your spreadsheet, but not in .ods??? I am stuck using excel.. Never mind, I found the save as for download. thanks.

And, what is the 'definitive' list / consumption calculations that 'should' be used.

I have seen much on the matter, but it 'seem's to go back and forth....

What is our 'best guesstimate' on what should be used and the final description of what the values are. Liters, tons , picoBluewhales...

thanks.

Just a quick question, hi, I'm using the TAC life support and the crew pod is showing a big amount of oxygen capacity(333) compared to food and water (less than 10). is this normal?

Yes. Oxygen is required in higher quantity than food and water(you can live without food or water for a while, but can't live that long without oxygen). The amount usually allow the max crew to survive 3 days.

Yes. Oxygen is required in higher quantity than food and water(you can live without food or water for a while, but can't live that long without oxygen). The amount usually allow the max crew to survive 3 days.

Cool, thanks for the answer

IS it normal to see huge food values for the Large MFT Lift Support Containers? the crew would last 1000+ days(crew of 3) with just one. I know i can adjust, but is this the default amount?

Edited by lyndonguitar

Yes. Larger ones are ment for interplanetary trips. And those can take much longer than a year.

I see, thanks. I was just wondering why the Universal Storages amounts don't quite match up with the TAC containers despite applying the US TAC pack

IS it normal to see huge food values for the Large MFT Lift Support Containers? the crew would last 1000+ days(crew of 3) with just one. I know i can adjust, but is this the default amount?

Mine last 949d, with the amount in 3 kerbal crew pod included. Did you modify the consumption of the kerbals?

I see, thanks. I was just wondering why the Universal Storages amounts don't quite match up with the TAC containers despite applying the US TAC pack

Im still using 24.2 version, but US TAC pack should have aditional config for more TAC-like amounts. At least mine does

Mine last 949d, with the amount in 3 kerbal crew pod included. Did you modify the consumption of the kerbals?

My bad, It was for 2 kerbals, it's 950 for me @ 3 kerbals

Im still using 24.2 version, but US TAC pack should have aditional config for more TAC-like amounts. At least mine does

I installed the config as well. I tried putting an octocore full with food containers and each food bag only contains 18.8 units, theres 8 nodes so it's around 150 units only compared to 1038 on the large container which is roughly the same size. is this the case with yours? maybe i did install the configs wrong?

EDIT: looking at the files I am pretty much sure i installed it correct

EDIT2: theres a new update for US, checking it out atm

Edited by lyndonguitar

That sounds pretty right. One of the config (there are 2, the other one modify kerbal consumption) balance the amount of life support stored in universal storage bag, so that there wouldn't be too much of it inside each wedge, as that would be basically space compression for its size. A wedge is pretty small. You can just remove that config if you want more, even if a little bit unrealistic.

You can't compare the storage capacity between a whole giant tank of life support vs the wedges +octocore realistically, considering the core itself occupy a large part of the space, and it stores nothing. There are also walls between each wedges, cutting down storage capacity. What the universal storage system offer though, is its flexibility. For the same amount of space, you can fit a lot of different tools and things around a core, and the wedge fits many different sized rockets depending on the core.

So, if you are trying to pack a lot of life support for your craft, grab a tank of it from TAC-LS. But if you are trying to fit things to your multi purpose lander, play around with universal storage. Another reminder is that, while life support tanks from TAC-LS is balanced so that everything runs out on the same day, universal storage is different. A food wedge can last a kerbal for ~51d, a water wedge for ~77d, and oxygen wedge for ~146d. This is to play along with other generators and converters that universal storage offer. Plan ahead.