[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

I am baffled... The life support containers don't show any sliders to adjust the resource content in the VAB. Same goes for the crew capsules. If I launch I have zero resources apart from electricity. I can't load any resources into them. The issue shows up in sandbox and career mode. I'm using TacLifeSupport_0.10.1.1320.

I scanned back a few pages to see if I missed something that changed in the latest version or if it's a 0.90 issue, but I didn't find anything.

What am I doing wrong?

I updated the note in the OP to reflect the current status. Basically, it looks like the fixed version is working fine in 0.90 and will become the official release when I get a chance.

I am baffled... The life support containers don't show any sliders to adjust the resource content in the VAB. Same goes for the crew capsules. If I launch I have zero resources apart from electricity. I can't load any resources into them. The issue shows up in sandbox and career mode. I'm using TacLifeSupport_0.10.1.1320.

I scanned back a few pages to see if I missed something that changed in the latest version or if it's a 0.90 issue, but I didn't find anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Log file? See my signature. I assume from your description that it is a mod conflict but I don't know, and cannot help any more until I see a log file.

Log file? See my signature. I assume from your description that it is a mod conflict but I don't know, and cannot help any more until I see a log file.

Ok thanks. I wanted to know if I was missing something obvious. Other resource containers are ok, just not the TACLS ones or the command modules.

I have a modded install of 0.90

Logfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dia9j2i8jvaif4l/output_log.txt?dl=0

How to Reproduce:

• Build a simple ship with Command Pod Mk1 and any Life Support Container.
  • Right click on either part, you will notice there are no life support resources.

I don't know much about the KSP code, but this one seems a bit suspicious... I couldn't help but notice the !modularFueltanks and !RealFuels, so I deleted MFT. TACLS is more important to me. I like the complexity it adds. This gives me back the standard food and life-support containers and the command pod is ok.

I had Modular Fuel Tanks v5.3.0 (current recommended version), but not RealFuels. I didn't want to change that aspect of the game.

ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/MM_AddResources/@PART

[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[1],@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!RESOURCE[Food]]:FOR[TacLifeSupport]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]

[ModuleManager] Deleting Node in file ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/MM_AddResources subnode: @PART

[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[22],@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!RESOURCE[Food]]:FOR[TacLifeSupport]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

I love this mod! Never had any problems with it except for when I was planning a multi planet mission and calculated how much LS I needed in Earth days, then built my ship around Kerbin days... I had to scrap my whole mission... It's my own stupid fault though haha. Love this mod! Thank you TaranisElsu!

Taranis, thanks for the update for 0.90! What are your thoughts on making the 0.90 TACLS official release CKAN compatible?

Hi, CKAN will pick up the new version automatically when TaranisElsu finds the time to update it. No need to ask him, he doesn't need to do anything :)

Ok thanks. I wanted to know if I was missing something obvious. Other resource containers are ok, just not the TACLS ones or the command modules.

I have a modded install of 0.90

Logfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dia9j2i8jvaif4l/output_log.txt?dl=0

How to Reproduce:

• Build a simple ship with Command Pod Mk1 and any Life Support Container.
  • Right click on either part, you will notice there are no life support resources.

I don't know much about the KSP code, but this one seems a bit suspicious... I couldn't help but notice the !modularFueltanks and !RealFuels, so I deleted MFT. TACLS is more important to me. I like the complexity it adds. This gives me back the standard food and life-support containers and the command pod is ok.

I had Modular Fuel Tanks v5.3.0 (current recommended version), but not RealFuels. I didn't want to change that aspect of the game.

ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/MM_AddResources/@PART

[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[1],@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!RESOURCE[Food]]:FOR[TacLifeSupport]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]

[ModuleManager] Deleting Node in file ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupport/MM_AddResources subnode: @PART

[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[22],@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!RESOURCE[Food]]:FOR[TacLifeSupport]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

Might this be the problem? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64117-0-90-Modular-Fuel-Tanks-v5-4-0?p=1621816&viewfull=1#post1621816

The NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels] is there because there is a second file that adds the resources in a way that is better compatible with those mods.

TaranisElsu.

kerbals on eva have NO resources. Like food, waste etc.

Log file? (As I requested on your Github issue.)

Is there no way to view the list of all kerbals in flight and their remaining resources while at the space center/tracking station?

Working on it, but it requires a big change.

Taranis, thanks for the update for 0.90! What are your thoughts on making the 0.90 TACLS official release CKAN compatible?

As Ippo said, someone already wrote a CKAN file for the mod. CKAN should automatically pick it up when I package the official release.

Edited by TaranisElsu

I am still trying to adjust my kerbal's EVA electricity counts. I'd like for them to have ~100 units of electricity when they go on EVA, but right now they have ~367max, which is just too much for my default battery and pod counts.

What is the difference between ElectricityConsumptionRate and BaseElectricityConsumptionRate in the LifeSupport.cfg?

Also, is changing the kerbal electricity rate the only way to get my kerbals to have a flat 100e on EVA? Thanks for any help! :)

To change the EVA electicity you will need to adjust the eva electivity rate. A kerbal is given enough to last eactly 1 day so to force that to be 100 the eva rate should be set to 0.00463 (100/(6*60*60)).

For crewed ships the electicity consumption rate is BaseElectricityConsumptionRate * totalCapacity + ElectricityConsumptionRate * number of kerbals.

So, after using this mod for a while, I feel a need to pimp it up with some fancier models for its containers. There are so many out there, and I am a bit over whelmed, any one has a suggestion for their favourite Life Support container models? Oxygen/water tanks, food boxes, etc. I already used Universal Storage, now I am looking out for new things.

To change the EVA electicity you will need to adjust the eva electivity rate. A kerbal is given enough to last eactly 1 day so to force that to be 100 the eva rate should be set to 0.00463 (100/(6*60*60)).

For crewed ships the electicity consumption rate is BaseElectricityConsumptionRate * totalCapacity + ElectricityConsumptionRate * number of kerbals.

I got it to work :) But, are the Kerbals supposed to die once they run out of resources and go past their 'expiration limits'? While I was testing my custom rates, my kerb just did not expire from the lack.

edit: maybe because I was testing on the surface of Kerbin? I only went past the electricity expiration (oxygen is fine on the surface).

Edited by Sarxis

I got it to work :) But, are the Kerbals supposed to die once they run out of resources and go past their 'expiration limits'? While I was testing my custom rates, my kerb just did not expire from the lack.

edit: maybe because I was testing on the surface of Kerbin? I only went past the electricity expiration (oxygen is fine on the surface).

The reason life support draws electricity is to circulate air through climate controls, CO2 scrubbers, and the like. If you hit the expiration on electricity, the cause of death is reported as "air toxicity." So it would make sense that running out of EC wouldn't matter on Kerbin. See what happens in space.

Kerbals don't need electicity abovea a pressure on Kerbin of 0.5atm as it is assumed they can just open a window. Between 0.5 and 0.2 it is assumed the pod can compress the air outside to be breathable at the cost of some electriity usage.

This is written as specific exceptions in the code so I am afraid it isn't possible to have a kerbin base not require food without changing the code. I think the best you can do is to create a part that magically generates food and water and just not use it anywhere else. Even mining camps get supermarket deliveries right?

Hi, CKAN will pick up the new version automatically when TaranisElsu finds the time to update it. No need to ask him, he doesn't need to do anything :)
As Ippo said, someone already wrote a CKAN file for the mod. CKAN should automatically pick it up when I package the official release.

Awesome! I didn't know! As a long time traditional-mod-installation-person, it's not a big deal. But I'm trying to jump on the bandwagon with all my favorite mods. I shall wait patiently.

*refreshes CKAN incessantly*

I wonder is i have messed up my setting some how. But a small hex life support can has enough to supply my kerbal for 29 days.

That seems like default settings to me. It's what I use. I throw one small hex can on there just for Mun missions, and that's pretty much exactly the amount of life support it gives me. So I don't think it's a mess up, you're just using the "dragged it straight from the zip file into my Game Data directory" default settings.

That seems like default settings to me. It's what I use. I throw one small hex can on there just for Mun missions, and that's pretty much exactly the amount of life support it gives me. So I don't think it's a mess up, you're just using the "dragged it straight from the zip file into my Game Data directory" default settings.

It's important to note that 29 days for 1 kerbal = 7.25 human days (1 Earth week). Humans use 4x as much life support, so that's equal to 43.5 hours of Life Support (2 days) for a human. The reason the values seem so high is because kerbals are much smaller, and the days are far, far shorter.

Hi Taranis - I posted this in the MFT thread too since the problem is related to the combination of TAC and MFT, but I wanted to alert you to a problem with the existing TAC MFT configs.

It's possible that there's some interaction going on with yet another mod, I really don't know, I'm running a lot. I think it's clear-ish what's happening though:

- Right now, applying the TAC MFT TANK types to command pods (in the MM_AddResources config under TacLifeSupportMFT) will result in deletion of ElectricCharge and AblativeShielding (and MonoPropellant, and any other RESOURCE{}) that was in those command pods. I don't remember this happening in the past, so maybe this is new behavior for MFT or something.

- One possible solution seems to be to either add ElectricCharge to the TANK type that you have defined and add another TANK type with an appropriate amount of ablative shielding to apply to pods that should have it as per DRE,

- or possibly just to ditch the MFT config for the moment and apply the other, non-MFT MM_AddResources.cfg to all parts by removing the NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels] from the patches.

Verified that the MFT config (or really, the application of an MFT tank) was overwriting other resources in the parts by just removing it from GameData and loading without it once. The life support resources were gone (of course), but AblativeShielding, ElectricCharge, and MonoPropellant returned to parts like the Mark 1 command pod.

It's important to note that 29 days for 1 kerbal = 7.25 human days (1 Earth week). Humans use 4x as much life support, so that's equal to 43.5 hours of Life Support (2 days) for a human. The reason the values seem so high is because kerbals are much smaller, and the days are far, far shorter.

That makes sense. I will boost up there consumption then. Having 29 days for a mun mission seems to easy.