[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

While I'm sure this was asked before, I'll ask anyway:

There's a widely known fact that cryogenic engines burn liquid Hydrogen (LqdHydrogen in CryoEngines case) and liquid Oxygen (Oxidizer in KSP case in general).

In TAC LS, however, we see Hydrogen resource, and separate Oxygen resource too.

One of the rules for programming says "one shan't breed unnecessary abstractions".

So the question is:

What do I need to do to change TAC LS to use LqdHydrogen instead of Hydrogen, and maybe even Oxidizer instead of Oxygen? Should MM patch do, or some deeper changes are needed?

Note that I'm not regular TAC LS user, partly because of I was hesitant to mess with too many different resources, partly because Universal Storage existence was beyond me, and "stock" models are ugly IME.

I've been hesitant to install this mod as I don't like mods that change the gameplay flow and killing kerbals by way of starvation and lack of water supplies and such def would change the game flow a lot. I want the challenge as this gives the game more depth which IS what I want in a mod. (I'm very picky about my mods)

I'd like to know the current status of being able to grow your own food sources. Are there any "animal breeding" type things planned for meat products or at least "plant growing" items available for the deep space colonies you need to supply with food? I see the oxygen recycling and water recycling available which is good, I'd also like to see methods to gain water resources from the planet itself even if the "water" isn't exactly water but more like a form of "liquids" that could be converted to water.

Of course oxygen is good, recycling oxygen is helpful but wouldn't a plant growing bay give oxygen that could be used in the station? I've never tested it before but if you had enough plants in a small contained space wouldn't they provide enough oxygen to remove the need for an oxygen recycler? Maybe the plant growing bay IS the recycler and would also provide a source of food too.

It was also said kerbals off assignment need food and water too at the KSC?? How do you provide that to them? Or did I misinterpret this?

I like the concept of this mod but I'd like to see if someone can provide the level to which my game will have to change with all this added in.

While I'm sure this was asked before, I'll ask anyway:

There's a widely known fact that cryogenic engines burn liquid Hydrogen (LqdHydrogen in CryoEngines case) and liquid Oxygen (Oxidizer in KSP case in general).

In TAC LS, however, we see Hydrogen resource, and separate Oxygen resource too.

One of the rules for programming says "one shan't breed unnecessary abstractions".

So the question is:

What do I need to do to change TAC LS to use LqdHydrogen instead of Hydrogen, and maybe even Oxidizer instead of Oxygen? Should MM patch do, or some deeper changes are needed?

Note that I'm not regular TAC LS user, partly because of I was hesitant to mess with too many different resources, partly because Universal Storage existence was beyond me, and "stock" models are ugly IME.

You do not want to mix your fuel with your life support stockpile, therefore you need different resources in ksp. They are not mixed in reality either, you have different tanks based on their purpose. Imagine burning your life support oxygen when firing your engines, it would be a disaster.

I've been hesitant to install this mod as I don't like mods that change the gameplay flow and killing kerbals by way of starvation and lack of water supplies and such def would change the game flow a lot. I want the challenge as this gives the game more depth which IS what I want in a mod. (I'm very picky about my mods)

I'd like to know the current status of being able to grow your own food sources. Are there any "animal breeding" type things planned for meat products or at least "plant growing" items available for the deep space colonies you need to supply with food? I see the oxygen recycling and water recycling available which is good, I'd also like to see methods to gain water resources from the planet itself even if the "water" isn't exactly water but more like a form of "liquids" that could be converted to water.

Of course oxygen is good, recycling oxygen is helpful but wouldn't a plant growing bay give oxygen that could be used in the station? I've never tested it before but if you had enough plants in a small contained space wouldn't they provide enough oxygen to remove the need for an oxygen recycler? Maybe the plant growing bay IS the recycler and would also provide a source of food too.

It was also said kerbals off assignment need food and water too at the KSC?? How do you provide that to them? Or did I misinterpret this?

I like the concept of this mod but I'd like to see if someone can provide the level to which my game will have to change with all this added in.

Afaik, MKS/OKS offers TAC LS compatible closed conduit resource flow, if you are able to extract the needed resourses from somewhere.

For a "simple" greenhouse which works like one of the other TAC LS recyclers, you might want to take a look at the SETI one linked in my signature. There are other mods doing the same thing.

Btw, off assignment kerbals do not need resources and meat is about the least efficient nutrient/food source.

I'd like to know the current status of being able to grow your own food sources. Are there any "animal breeding" type things planned for meat products or at least "plant growing" items available for the deep space colonies you need to supply with food?...

You could also look at my Soylent mod. It adds a 'plant growing bay' that recycles wastes into food, water, & oxygen. It tries to be 'reality based' and 'near future'.

Re Kerbals at KSC & TAC: my experience is that once you actually 'launch' the craft the life support accounting for the Kerbals starts. For a rover that is just driving off the pad. I'm not sure when it switches off accounting - I guess when you recover the Kerbal.

Re Kerbals at KSC & TAC: my experience is that once you actually 'launch' the craft the life support accounting for the Kerbals starts. For a rover that is just driving off the pad. I'm not sure when it switches off accounting - I guess when you recover the Kerbal.

Kerbals in the astronaut centre do not require life support. I don't know where that idea came from.

I'd like to know the current status of being able to grow your own food sources. Are there any "animal breeding" type things planned for meat products or at least "plant growing" items available for the deep space colonies you need to supply with food?

You've already seen the responses from the authors of Soylent and Seti, both good choices. In addition for a very simple solution there is also my greenhouse here - it does not fully replenish all resources, but slows the decline in resources and allows for more variety in how to supply long-term missions.

Generally, once you've started to play with TAC LS, you will find it a great addition - with life support you really have to start to take care of Kerbal crews and think about their well-being. Jool and Duna missions are suddenly a big deal if you have to think about what to bring for 2-5 years.

I have an issue with electricity consumtion. It is simply not consumed if I am timewarping in KSC, i. e. not in any active flight.

I tested v 1.0.4 with various mods and v 1.0.2 with only TAC LS and Stage Recovery - result is still the same.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Build ship with an electricity stock (I tried both with only Mk 1 Command module and with about 2k electricity from batteries)

2) Go to Kerbin orbit 100km/100km

3) Quit flight to space center

5) Warp time (any portion, I tried even for 9 days)

6) Return to ship through tracking station.

7) Result: your electricity stock is still same as the time you left ship

Other resources consumption is calculated properly.

Screenshot (check Time from launch at left side): http://prntscr.com/7nlp1g

P. S. I tested out stock probes - they're also not consuming electricity when you're warping in space center.

Here's a screenshot of 60 days on orbit with same amount of electricity: http://prntscr.com/7nm8jn

Howewer, I'm not really sure if its intended (like probes going to "sleep" mode when you're not controlling them) or bug.

Edited by S1mancoder

Is it intentional to have no life support in crewed parts that don't have command modules?

I changed the first line of MM_AddResources.cfg from this:

@PART
[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[>0]],!RESOURCE[Food]]:FOR[TacLifeSupport]

to this:

@PART
[*]::HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],!RESOURCE[Food]]:FOR[TacLifeSupport]

...and now I have life support in all crew living quarters modules.

Is it intentional to have no life support in crewed parts that don't have command modules?

@PART
[*]:HAS[#CrewCapacity[>0],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[>0]],!RESOURCE[Food]]:FOR[TacLifeSupport]

to this:

@PART

Yes, I also did that to the cfg. This should be done to the original cfg file so everyone (including Jeb) could benefit from this.

@PART

to this:

@PART

This please!

This please!

See, I prefer that only command modules have integral resources.

Admittedly, you could make the argument that the Hitchhiker should at least have integral snacks.

I cannot find food modules? I only have 3 days of food?

Are you by any chance using the SETIctt? If that is the case, kerbals can last 360 hours without food (so you are mainly limited by oxygen/water for Kerbin SoI). The food containers were moved to the LifeSupport node (90 science, second node from the bottom, formerly called "recycling").

Still really looking forward to farm modules being added to this. No matter how complicated they may be, they'll add a delightful sustainability aspect that will finally make true space colonies a possibility instead of just bases that receive regular shipments of supplies from Kerbin.

TaranisElsu,

Love your mod and appreciate the work your doing, this really makes the game complete for me. I was just wondering if you had a time line for an update to 1.0.4?

Thanks again for the great mod!

Still really looking forward to farm modules being added to this.

There are a number of greenhouses as separate mods that work with TAC LS - including mine (link in the signature). For the others, go back a few pages and there was a post listing a couple more.

There are a number of greenhouses as separate mods that work with TAC LS - including mine (link in the signature). For the others, go back a few pages and there was a post listing a couple more.

Sweet! That should tide me over nicely 'til the official one is added. Thanks.