[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Hello Communiy, I have a couple of questions about this Mod, mainly about the "future-proof-ness".

1) Has anyone seen TaranisElsu around lately? His last post in this thread was on July 15, which was also his latest post in the forums. His latest commit to the the Github repo of TAC-LS is from May 2.

Is he OK? Does anyone know anything about him?

2) Assuming the he stays MIA, are there people in this thread capable AND willing to take over the maintenance and development of this mod?

3) Is TAC-LS using the Stock Ressource-On-Rails system (or however you would like to call it) from RoverDude, or does it use his own?

I am kinda getting a little worried about this Mod. While it is really great at the moment, it could use more and more polishing to keep up with the way KSP changes and how the Mod landscape changes.

Especially the U5-update will probably break a lot of things.

Since I finally want to break the habit of starting a new career save everytime a new KSP version is released, I wanted to prepare myself for 1.1 and eliminate all vessels using parts that are from unmaintained mods.

So should I stop launching vessels with TAC-LS-Parts? Or is there some hope?

I think most people are switching over to USI Life Support do to it being simpler and better maintained. As much as I like TAC-LS, there is just too much up in the air to rely on it past 1.0.x. There may be a possibility where someone will fork the code, just like how Interstellar Fuel Switch forked from Firespitter when it didn't look like Firespitter was going to be updated for 1.0, but with USI-LS, it may not happen.

Edited by Farix

1) Has anyone seen TaranisElsu around lately? His last post in this thread was on July 15, which was also his latest post in the forums. His latest commit to the the Github repo of TAC-LS is from May 2.Is he OK? Does anyone know anything about him?

Their profile page says "Last activity: Today, 02:57" so I think you can take it as read that they are not dead.

TACLS hasn't needed any updates. Perhaps it is no more sinister than that.

Hi! First of all thank you for this great mod! :)

I just encountered an odd bug related with the root parts. If I set as root part a Life Support Waste Container Large (or a TACLS Water Purifier Large or probably any other large TACLS parts) the first time I save and reload the game then... the part looks smaller!

For example: I create a test vessel like this one and I set the upper Large Waste Container as root. On the launch pad everything seems ok.

ksp-tac1.png

Then I come back to the Space Center and then I select and come back to the vessel again: now the root part has shrunk up and the OKTO2 is floating in the air.

ksp-tac2.png

It looks like a standard size container, but actually it is still a "large" part.

I'm using TacLifeSupport v0.11.1.20 and KSP 1.0.4. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried this with the HexCans? What TAC-LS does is use the same model for all three size containers, but scale the model up or down depending on which container you select. There could a bug in the model itself, which is why you should try the HexCans to confirm, or with KSP itself, at which case the HexCans would be affected as well.

I am still around. Been busy with other things though, so I have not been spending as much time on Kerbal stuff. I do have some changes and improvements that I have been working on, so there should be a new release eventually :cool:.

I just encountered an odd bug related with the root parts. If I set as root part a Life Support Waste Container Large (or a TACLS Water Purifier Large or probably any other large TACLS parts) the first time I save and reload the game then... the part looks smaller!

For example: I create a test vessel like this one and I set the upper Large Waste Container as root. On the launch pad everything seems ok.

http://www.nopanic.it/vv/ksp-tac1.png

Then I come back to the Space Center and then I select and come back to the vessel again: now the root part has shrunk up and the OKTO2 is floating in the air.

http://www.nopanic.it/vv/ksp-tac2.png

It looks like a standard size container, but actually it is still a "large" part.

I will need a full log file (see my signature for instructions). There are several other mods that can cause interaction issues like that.

This sounds a bit simmilar to the bug issue I'm having that I posted a few days ago, except mine does this in the VAB when I right click on the can.

I forgot to submit my logs on my previous post, so I'll do that when I get home today.

Hmm, I haven't seen this posted (rummaged back a few pages and did a google), does a maxed out waste supply kill the Kerbals? With recyclers running and a few too many supply pods (hex cans) I lost track of how much waste my station had generated. When I returned after a time warp, Waste was full everywhere but I had no alarms or deaths or reductions in performance. I sent up a resupply (btw, no dedicated waste container?) and that took a couple days in kerbal time with still no detriment. Do I have a glitched install? Didn't notice any issues reported in my log file either. btw

does a maxed out waste supply kill the Kerbals?

If your waste or wastewater tanks are full, then the excess is dumped (well, it disappears, actually).There's no harm. Of course, the lost waste resource won't be available to be recycled.

I dont fancy USI, It's better than stock but I feel it is too dumbed down and much prefer TAC life support as it's based on what we can do in reality.

Taranis did a lot of research on what is and may be possible in the future... And the mass/volume of the resources is based on the real stuff... The kerbals use about the right amount as if they were humans. So Tac life support gives me a good idea on what kind of mass/volume a real spacecraft would have dedicated to life support supplies for a mission,

I play kerbal to learn a little about the real deal of space travel in a fun an accessable way, for myself, then teach and show others. TAC life support has just the right level of abstracted realism to give a convincing feel without being too complicated, It's one of the mods I'd like to see survive untill KSP is at a stable enough point where I can really work on putting together a sort of "Ultimate Educational/Realistic Yet balanced to Still be Accessible and Fun" Build of KSP, so I can buy my relatives and close friends KSP as a steam gift then give them a really good build of KSP + guides/tips on a disc to start them off.

So thankyou Taranis for making and maintaining TAC life support ^_^

Do you have a Paypal donate button anywhere so I can buy you a beer or whatever?

If not a private message with a paypal addy will do :sticktongue:

One thing I can think of to improve the mod would be something I read earlier on the USI life support thread

I have very evil idea about interaction with mod Connected Living Space if it's installed. Should be fully optional and maybe even disabled by default.

Thing is: to make kerbals use only supplies they can access directly or through connected living space or from parts attached to living space but not further.

This could and will impact crewed ship designs dramatically - no more "slap supply container anywhere and be set" as parts accessibility should be considered or whole expedition may die from starvation while having full yearly supply next door inaccessible due to poor engineering.

optional of course, Probably off by default but turned on or off by editing a value in a CFG file somewhere.

Only for stuff that is not easily piped about though, Like Food supplies. I'm imagining a crew passable ring of food supplies part...

Are there any problems people have with TAC life support that make people choose USI over TAC?

Problems that could be solved, As I don't want to see real world based TAC die out in favour of a Gamey USI that doesn't really teach you anything concrete about real world spaceflight.

Both TAC and USI can co-exist, USI performing the role of the likes of NEAR, And TAC being more like life support's equivilent of FAR, Just would not like TAC to die due to everyone moving to USI.

Edited by GorillaZilla

http://www.nopanic.it/vv/ksp-tac1.png

http://www.nopanic.it/vv/ksp-tac2.png

That looks like the stock scale bug that may occur if the part uses MODEL{}, has a rescaleFactor or scale other than 1 and is the root part. It looks like the Containers are scaled with the use of too rescaleFactor, so I think that that's the culprit.

I'm assuming this is related to TACLS since it's the "TAC Converter" I think I'm having an issue with.

I'm running a game in RO/RSS/RP-0 using all their required and suggested mods plus FASA. I've setup a Gemini capsule which I have in orbit with two crew. I wanted them to stay in orbit for several days so after turning the Fuel Cell and "LOX-LH2" converters on, I switched back to KSC and advanced time a few days. But when I switched back to the Gemini, I got a notice that Oxygen was used up. So I check and it does look like the Fuel Cell and LOX-LH2 converters did use LH2 and LOX as they should have, but it doesn't look like either converter actually created the resource they are supposed to. Is that a bug or an known issue?

EDIT: I noticed the same problem with the CO2 Scrubber on the Gemini capsule. The LithiumHydroxide got used but the CO2 wasn't being cleaned.

Edited by chrisl

I'm with you GorillaZilla, TAC-LS is my favorite by far. none of the others seem to really fit as well or be as immersive. :)

Indeed matey, I don't think there would be anything equal to replace TAC with if we lost it, The other life support mods are way ahead of stock's non-existant life support but they just aint TAC :sticktongue:

I think most people are switching over to USI Life Support do to it being simpler and better maintained. As much as I like TAC-LS, there is just too much up in the air to rely on it past 1.0.x. There may be a possibility where someone will fork the code, just like how Interstellar Fuel Switch forked from Firespitter when it didn't look like Firespitter was going to be updated for 1.0, but with USI-LS, it may not happen.

As a card carrying biologist that plays KSP, TAC-LS is _by far_ the best and most realistic life support mod out there. In my opinion, if you are playing a game that is literally about rocket science, and you think TAC-LS is too hard...I guess welcome to one of the reasons space travel is hard.

Having said that, TAC-LS is up on github. There's nothing stopping anyone from forking the code and/or making commit requests. TaranisElsu started the mod, but that doesn't mean he needs to do all the work. If you think you see an area TAC-LS can be improved, dive in and give a hand.

As a card carrying biologist that plays KSP, TAC-LS is _by far_ the best and most realistic life support mod out there. In my opinion, if you are playing a game that is literally about rocket science, and you think TAC-LS is too hard...I guess welcome to one of the reasons space travel is hard.

Having said that, TAC-LS is up on github. There's nothing stopping anyone from forking the code and/or making commit requests. TaranisElsu started the mod, but that doesn't mean he needs to do all the work. If you think you see an area TAC-LS can be improved, dive in and give a hand.

I'm not a card carrying biologist, and I don't play one on TV, but like seanth I also consider TAC-LS to be a must-have mod. Simpler is not always better, and this mod adds complexity in ways that make for some interesting interactions with other mods. For example, I use the Dang It! mod, which creates random failures and leaks, including in LS canisters. That means, since I have a 30-day window for food, I don't worry about backup food supplies for short missions, but I tend to bring backup oxygen supplies in case of failure of one of my reservoirs. Etc.

Also, one of the things I really appreciate about the KSP community is that frequently (and license-permitting), when a mod author for a popular mod becomes inactive, another willing soul takes up the developer reins.

No offense to the USI LS mod, but in my opinion, it's too little. Kind of like the announced (and RoverDude developed) Relays being added to 1.1 versus RemoteTech. If the features of the Relay remain as planned, I will be sticking with RT.

To each there own.

I am a card carrying TAC user hell yeah and it is by far the best LS mod. Simply because food and water and oxygen are very different things. When you think of life support you are thinking of packing enough on your mission so that they will last until your kerbals get back, and for that of course USI Life Support pretty good. But when you consider creating a permanent colony somewhere with USI Kolonization and have to start thinking the production cycles for water food and oxygen, that's when TACLS really shines and "supplies" turns out to mean nothing.

TACLS Declutter

TACLS Declutter condenses thirty resource containers down to two tweakable, resizable containers.

http://i.imgur.com/JWHbGE2.png

Requirements

Safety First

You can safely use TACLS Declutter with an existing save -- the default TACLS containers are hidden in the editor and tech tree but the actual parts are still in the game. Craft built after TACLS Declutter is installed will break if it's removed.

Known Issues

• The waste containers start filled. You need to manually empty the contents in the editor.
  • All containers are based on the 1.25m or 1x sizes. The resources in scaled containers might vary from the stock TACLS equivalents. Plan accordingly.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

// TACLS Declutter by Somnambulist v.1 2014-11-02
// =====================================================================
// Simplifies TAC LS' containers down to two parts. Requires FireSpitter
// for resource/texture switching and TweakScale for scaling.
// License: The MIT License (MIT) http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
// =====================================================================

+PART[HexCanLifeSupport]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
@name = HexCanConfigurableTACLifeSupport
@title = TACLS HexCan

@description = A configurable hexagonal canister for holding Life Support products.

!RESOURCE[Food] {}
!RESOURCE[Water] {}
!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}

@MODEL,0 {
!texture,0 =
}

MODULE
{
name = FStextureSwitch2
objectNames = Canister
nextButtonText = Next Canister
prevButtonText = Previous Canister
textureRootFolder = ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupportHexCans/
textureNames = HexCanLifeSupport/Texture;HexCanFood/Texture;HexCanBreathingOxygen/Texture;HexCanDrinkingWater/Texture;HexCanWaste/WasteTexture;
textureDisplayNames = Life Support;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste;
useFuelSwitchModule = true
fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;
showInfo = true
}

MODULE
{
name = FSfuelSwitch
resourceNames = Oxygen,Water,Food;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste,WasteWater,CarbonDioxide;
resourceAmounts = 6211.2,40.5,61.3;130;28747.5;130;10.5,98,10183.4;
displayCurrentTankCost = true
hasGUI = false
showInfo = false
}

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = surface
freeScale = false
defaultScale = 1.0
scaleFactors = .5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0
scaleNames = 50%, 100%, 200%, 400%
techRequired = survivability, survivability, heavyRocketry, experimentalRocketry
}
}

@PART[HexCan*]:HAS[#author[*Taranis*]]
{
@category = -1
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = unresearchable
}

@PART[HexCanConfigurableTACLifeSupport]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
@category = Utility
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = survivability
}

+PART[TacLifeSupportContainer]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
@name = ContainerConfigurableTACLifeSupport
@title = TACLS Container

@description = A configurable container for holding Life Support products.

!RESOURCE[Food] {}
!RESOURCE[Water] {}
!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}

@MODEL,0 {
!texture,0 =
}

MODULE
{
name = FStextureSwitch2
objectNames = MyContainer
nextButtonText = Next Container
prevButtonText = Previous Container
textureRootFolder = ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupportContainers/
textureNames = Texture;FoodTexture;OxygenTexture;WaterTexture;WasteTexture;
textureDisplayNames = Life Support;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste;
useFuelSwitchModule = true
fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;
showInfo = true
}

MODULE
{
name = FSfuelSwitch
resourceNames = Oxygen,Water,Food;Food;Oxygen;Water;Waste,WasteWater,CarbonDioxide;
resourceAmounts = 6211.2,40.5,61.3;240;53072.3;240;19.5,180.9,18800.1;
displayCurrentTankCost = true
hasGUI = false
showInfo = false
}

MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = stack
techRequired = survivability, survivability, heavyRocketry, veryHeavyRocketry, experimentalRocketry
}
}

@PART[Tac*Container*]:HAS[#author[*Taranis*]]
{
@category = -1
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = unresearchable
}

@PART[ContainerConfigurableTACLifeSupport]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]:FINAL
{
@category = Utility
@subcategory = 0
@TechRequired = survivability
}

This is probably a stupid question, but where's the download link for this/how do I install it?

This is probably a stupid question, but where's the download link for this/how do I install it?

You can download and install the required files and then create a cfg file and copy/paste that code for module manager. You can save the config in your TAC folder (ex: MM_TACL_Declutter.cfg) so module manager can apply the necessary adjustments.

Don't let TACLS drop, I need it to give sense in the whole colonising stuff. Snacks and USILS don't really cut it for me.

Just one thing, TACLS on kerbal stuff says its 1.04 but AVG keeps prompting me its out of date, can I carry on ignoring it? Seems to be working so far.

Keep up the great work!

TACLS has not been dropped... What is all this talk of someone else picking the mod etc. TaranisElsu is still around. See this post from him on the 14th September:-

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40667-1-0-2-TAC-Life-Support-v0-11-1-20-5Apr?p=2193832&viewfull=1#post2193832

AVG has not been updated for 1.04, it is safe to ignore the AVG prompts. TAC LS works fine with 1.04.

You can download and install the required files and then create a cfg file and copy/paste that code for module manager. You can save the config in your TAC folder (ex: MM_TACL_Declutter.cfg) so module manager can apply the necessary adjustments.

Thanks! :)

No offense to the USI LS mod, but in my opinion, it's too little. Kind of like the announced (and RoverDude developed) Relays being added to 1.1 versus RemoteTech. If the features of the Relay remain as planned, I will be sticking with RT.

Agreed.

Now, I'm not saying TAC-LS is perfect. I often wish that it would take into account % of CO2 in the atmosphere of vessels and cause problems if it got too high, or there could be explosions if the oxygen content got too high. But the work TaranisElsu put into trying to get the consumption and production values correct is really great.

And leaky canisters sounds like a great level up. I'll have to give it a try. I use BioMass with TAC-LS, so I use the oxidizer-->oxygen release and I guess I'd need to make a custom MM file to make the oxidizer tanks leak, but totally worth the trouble I think.