[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Are you planning on removing the decultter script in the middle of a save? If not, then you have nothing to worry about.

The reason for the warning is because it creates a new parts while hiding the old parts in the VAB/SPH. If the script is remove, the new parts will no longer exist and any ship using those parts will produce an error when the save is loaded. I think the MFT configs does the exact same thing.

Edited by Farix

Well, I have a habit of swapping out mods, because I try to have minimal impact over vanilla, but keeping it interesting (TACLS, KAS/KIS) etc.

And yes. As I said I may actually need one resource containers at some point when I pick a greenhouse or the standard TACLS converters for my bases.

I usually play on 1 save for entire version. 1.0, 1.0.2, 1.0.4 and I exchange mods quite a bit.

I also play on Hard mode and keeping 1 backup, refreshing when I remember to in case of bug. But forgetting this warning, removing the script/mod and losing half my ships and possibly all bases with who knows how long ago the backup was do not sound nice to me personally. Its great work, just not for me.

So If there is a way to simply hide 80% of the containers (~2 utility pages) it will be nice for me. And if I need Let's say food only for a specific craft I can un-hide it, make my build, then hide it again w/o deleting my base.

Why would you need to constantly hide/unhide 30 parts when you have two separate methods to reduce the parts down to ~6, not counting the recycles? The point of both TACLS Declutter and MTF is to allow players to configure resource tanks as needed while reducing the number of tanks available in the VAB and SPH. But there is no mod that I am aware of that allows you to easily hide/unhide parts. You will have to create your own Module Manager script, and the shear number of parts will make it cumbersome to unhide, the re-hide a specific part.

Actually just realized that MFT version actually uses separate parts and when I remove the MFT it deleted that thing on the launch pad I tested (no kerbals in, whew). So nothing is ideal for me. Probably Quick Search to spare me the pages scrolling.

You should use third party mods for it. OKS/MKS is the best one I know; it allows you to construct orbital and surface bases, mine and produce all the stuff needed to maintain life support etc.

So OKS/MKS recognized TAC LS and adds "resources" for this mod?

I'm mainly wondering since I do like to have like a 20 year mission to jool. (I'd send a mothership which takes a retrievable lander/miner for fuel/science etc).

Does anyone have a config file that adds compatibility with Near Future Pods?

EDIT: Nvm, noticed its only the Mk3 pod that had problems, and solved the problem on my own :)

Edited by Sokar408

Hello all! Long time user, first time caller.

I have been taking care of the FASA RO configs for a while now. I noticed a bug in a new config for RO that led me to realize it is also the cause of a long standing bug in a FASA part.

I make use of TacGenericConverter to simulate the fuel cells and LOX -> O2 converters of the Gemini & Apollo missions.

ex:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/blob/d3509c468ae89ced4436e458c40be4ee2fb9904d/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/FASA/RO_FASA_Lunar_Gemini.cfg#L364-L379

My problem occurs in a case like this, where there is also a ModuleEngine* variant included in the part as well. If that is the case, then the engine will autostage on the launchpad, burning immediately on craft load.

I also found this was occuring when I was configured the SSTU Orion CM, so for now I left TacGenericConverter off of my configs for that.

If you see an error in my code or usage, please let me know. I would far rather this be an error on my part that I can resolve, rather than a bug in TACLS. From my cursory research it looks like TACLS hasn't been updated in a long time, and I definitely don't want to have to learn a new LS mod to stop this autostagine.

Thanks to anybody who has suggestions or feedback. :)

Hey all!

I've just started up a new career with TLS, and I've hit a snag - my Mk1 Command Pod, which used to contain electricity, spares (for DangIt repairs) and ablatives, now only contains TLS stuff (food, water, O2, waste, waste water and CO2). If I want power, I'm having to glue batteries all over my ship, and in my last mission I discovered that even though the pod has the "take spares" option, there's no spares to take! What gives? Has TLS overwritten all my other stuff? Thanks in advance!

Hey all!

I've just started up a new career with TLS, and I've hit a snag - my Mk1 Command Pod, which used to contain electricity, spares (for DangIt repairs) and ablatives, now only contains TLS stuff (food, water, O2, waste, waste water and CO2). If I want power, I'm having to glue batteries all over my ship, and in my last mission I discovered that even though the pod has the "take spares" option, there's no spares to take! What gives? Has TLS overwritten all my other stuff? Thanks in advance!

Mod list and log files would help diagnose this.

Hmm I'm trying to modify TAC-LS to be more "balanced" to my liking. Especially the containers seem utterly large, making one container large enough to do everything.

I tried making a patch with module manager, it works well, except for the "life support" and "waste" modules. There the resource amounts of the non-food/waste resource I can't seem to edit?

@PART[TacLifeSupportContainerSmall]:AFTER[ThunderAerospace]{
@mass = 0.4467
@cost *= 2
@RESOURCE[Food]
{
@amount = 7
@maxAmount = 7
}
@RESOURCE[Water]
{
amount = 3.08
maxAmount = 3.08
}
@RESOURCE[Oxygen]
{
amount = 477.758
maxAmount = 477.758
}
}

Any reason why it isn't updating the "Water" & "Oxygen" supply (But the rest of the stats are updated)?

EDIT: my bad, I forgt @ signs there. Sigh...

Wondering though: why is chosen for such massive amounts - for such low weight? (A kg food to eat shouldn't mean it's a kg added to the payload. For each gram of food lots of grammes are wasted on keeping the food healthy etc).

Edited by paul23

Hmm I'm trying to modify TAC-LS to be more "balanced" to my liking. Especially the containers seem utterly large, making one container large enough to do everything.

His stuff might seem unbalanced, but TaranisElsu did quite a bit of math to figure out all the consumption rates and the densities:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aioc9ek3XAvwdGNsRlh3OVhlbTFBR3M4RW0zLUNTRFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

If you're after "realism", then using all the containers as-is will be fine.

I installed TACLS not for realism - but rather for having an actual challenge of staying alive in space. Gamify the reality. Making a modpack with this, remote-tech, usi kolonizations and hopefully some auto-pilot pack that I can balance. Currently finding mechjeb just too powerful, wish to add a negativity to using mechjeb over manual manoeuvring. Maybe mechjeb should be "inaccurate" in it's gimbal control, by say 0.5%. - Sure it will correct for this (autopilot and all that), but it means you use a lot more energy.

Anyways - I've increased the dry-mass by 20 times for most containers (30 for the food container), and lowered the amount of supplies the containers can hold by roughly 40%. And the dry costs are double. Finally tweaked the density of food/oxygen up quite a bit (was weird to me that you would store oxygen in non-cryogenic state - as a gas). On the other hand lowered the electric consumption a lot (100 times), to make the difference between manned and unmanned clear again. (If manned use more than the hex-probe why would I ever use the manned mission....).

Now the "small" containers add 14 days for each resource.

Finally I spread out the containers along the branch a bit: Oxygen small one - (base oxygen of all capsules is only 1 day) unlocks already at engineering101. The other small ones unlock where they are now (survivability), normal containers unlock at the 90-science - space exploration. And the large ones unlock only after the 160 science (so you also have to upgrade the science field): I've put them at advanced fuel systems.

I'm thinking of maybe adding another 'huge' container group at high performance fuel systems. (this group will give 14 * 8^3 = 7168 days of supplies per tank, and weight 231.5 kg/full tank - costs roughly 15k per full tank)

All to gamify - does anyone have a good balance to have a good challenge?

All to gamify - does anyone have a good balance to have a good challenge?

Did you actually go anywhere in the System outside Eve? I suggest packing the required supplies for a Jool or Eloo trip before nerfing the containers.

Did you actually go anywhere in the System outside Eve? I suggest packing the required supplies for a Jool or Eloo trip before nerfing the containers.

Well my goal is that for these things you either (A) have 90% renewable. Or (B) don't go manned but use remote tech to scout. Just like in real life we don't go on manned missions beyond our own planet, and for missions to (say) mars it is required to have a 100% renewable method.

What's the "fun" if going to far planets is just a matter of "packing a bit more" - what you pack should depend entirely on where you go. Making far interplanetary missions totally different from moon missions. Which are again different from LKO/MKO missions (latter don't even require anything but oxygen).

So if you have a station in orbit and you speed up tom in order for, I don't know, a craft to reach another celestial body, and in the mean time the station runs out of food, what happens? Do they all die? Or is there a prompt of some kind? It would be rather unpractical to manually keep track of the supply state of four different bases or stations while time warping.

First, you can check from the TAC LS icon in the toolbar for all the supply of all your ships.

Second, when one of your ships/stations/base whatever else is running out of LS, you'll receive a warning and the eventual TimeWarp will stop. If that crew did not receive supply in a useful time, they'll die, and you'll receive another message, also if the active vessel is to the opposite side of the universe.

I believe it remembers the last time you activelly controlled a vessel - and then updates the moment you make a vessel active again. (So auto-pilots that work in the background could break this).

Not 100% sure though.

I believe it remembers the last time you activelly controlled a vessel - and then updates the moment you make a vessel active again. (So auto-pilots that work in the background could break this).

Not 100% sure though.

Think it works a lot like mining, it do the calculation on load.

The old versions had some issues with long unattended flights and the air and water regeneration.

As an safety factor its nice to bring an empty waste container to store dirty water and co2. This is also an good idea if you have an base and a smaller ship in places like the Jool system. The small ship does not have regeneration and dump waste at base who then process it.

Is TACLS (version for 1.0.2) compatible with Background Processing? Or is it already processing resources when vessel is not active? For example if I have a Sabatier reactor will it correctly drain and gain resources? Thanks for answer.

As paul23 and magnemoe said.

TACLS is 'compatible' with background processing in that it doesn't use it....

TACLS does it's own catch-up calculations on vessels when they are loaded.

Having background processing installed alongside TACLS causes no issue. They both work independent of each other.

Background processing only works for mods that have been coded to use it.