[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

Should I use this plugin for non-testing purposes? What kind of bugs and issues should I be aware of?

Also can you transfer resources to a space station?

I have been, I liked it quite a bit. You can transfer resources like you do fuel, as long as you have a place to transfer to/from. :-)

Till now I was using Ioncross. What I really missed was the resource usage of not focused vessels. Since it is a feature of this mod I will give it a try.

I am not a big fan of the hex cans. For me they don´t look like part of the game. Maybe it is just the texturing. I don´t know.

alexustas models look quite nice, but again it is the texturing that looks a little bit odd, not kerbalish enough.

I am a really a fan of the models and textures mulbin did, posted in the ioncross thread. LINK

Maybe mulbin like to help modeling and texturing for this mod.

I think it should be at most half of daily portion for a human. If i remember correctly it was calculated as (circa) 1,5 kilo of food, 2 liters of water. I don't remember how much oxygen a human uses in one day.

When making changes to IonCross' cfg settings I did some research on this.

NASA says that an astronaut requires 0.83 kg of oxygen per day assuming average space activities.

Given their lower body mass a Kerbal should require less. (metabolism not factored in and I treated body mass as more important)

I'd put them between 0.63kg - 0.75kg per day.

Till now I was using Ioncross. What I really missed was the resource usage of not focused vessels. Since it is a feature of this mod I will give it a try.

I am not a big fan of the hex cans. For me they don´t look like part of the game. Maybe it is just the texturing. I don´t know.

alexustas models look quite nice, but again it is the texturing that looks a little bit odd, not kerbalish enough.

I am a really a fan of the models and textures mulbin did, posted in the ioncross thread. LINK

Maybe mulbin like to help modeling and texturing for this mod.

To be honest, I don't use Ioncross myself anymore now that TAC is out.... The ioncross developer also hasn't commented for a month so I'm open to the idea of including my models in this mod instead if the OP is interested. Very busy with work at present but can try to get more items out soon.

screenshot13_zpscb3214e5.jpg

screenshot6_zps43c032bf.jpg

Mulbin, if you could even just put up the parts with a generic config file and let us add in what ever resources our self, I would be all over those parts! I'm working on making my own tweek of H.O.M.E green house to use waste water, waste and Co2 to create clean water and O2, I like messing with the configs to get the part to do what I want, and after a failed attempt at 3D modeling I have realized that this is more my speed.

Unfortunately, going by the comments in his cfgs, it looks like recycling is not functioning right yet in this. That's why he hasn't added components for that yet. Here's hoping he gets this fixed soon as I'd love to get this mod fully functional. Thunder's done a wonderful job on this, I know trying to get this working must have been a challenge!

Suggestions for things you can do while you wait on the next update:

(Ie things I've done in response to the two biggest complaints, ugliness of containers and no recycling).

1) Get Procedural Fairings, hide your containers under fuselage fairings.

2) Get another "resource mod" that shall remain nameless and modify its parts from using its own resources to using TAC resources. Voilia, I now have a working recycler that takes CO2_TAC and Electricity, and makes Oxygen_TAC.

additionally get a mod pack with a green house, use the recycler modules in the part.cfg and make the green house use waste_TAC, wastewater_TAC, and Electricity, and produce Food_TAC.

Yea I know it's a hack job, but it works!

I also modified the Spherical Tanks mod to make my own TAC tanks for resources. I've been using those for bases and hooking up the modules via KAS lines.

All things are possible if you use your imagination.

Hay, these are really nice models, I made some portable packs myself to be included together with KASPAR racks

Q6HZfNw.jpg

I sent a message to the OP long time ago (a month) but he never replied

For the beginning, there are 3 life support mods, crew transport and crew support by Troublemaker, IonCross and now TAC, and also EsvDefcon wants to make a new one.. These are all promising mods, but again none is working perfectly and they all have similar problems, they get discontinued over time.. I am sure they could unite, make compromises about their ideas, solve the problems together and bring us something ground-shattering =) And also remember that life support might officially come to KSP one day.. (copied from my post in KASPAR)

Edited by nothke

For the beginning, there are 3 life support mods, crew transport and crew support by Troublemaker, IonCross and now TAC, and also EsvDefcon wants to make a new one.. These are all promising mods, but again none is working perfectly and they all have similar problems, they get discontinued over time.. I am sure they could unite, make compromises about their ideas, solve the problems together and bring us something ground-shattering =))

I would be a fan of this. Ironcross has better looking parts, that recycler worked, but there was the no resource use in inactive vessels problem, and the annoying scrubbers that didn't start, or stay on. EsvDefcon's one didn't seem to go that far.

Tac and Ironcross seem pretty similar in their goals, from what I hear. If they were to team up, the results would be pretty awesome.

Edited by Tw1

I don't think it would take very much time to combine the mods (IMHO). I sorta quasi did so on my own (just as a local test) by editing CFG files, and placing files from one mod in the other's folder. The result is that I can use the recycle systems with TAC now. I also was able to take snips of CFG's and use them on a 3rd mod's "greenhouse" such that it will take Waste, Wastewater, and Electricity and make food. The other recycles CO2 + Electricity to make O2.

Suggestions for things you can do while you wait on the next update:

(Ie things I've done in response to the two biggest complaints, ugliness of containers and no recycling).

1) Get Procedural Fairings, hide your containers under fuselage fairings.

2) Get another "resource mod" that shall remain nameless and modify its parts from using its own resources to using TAC resources. Voilia, I now have a working recycler that takes CO2_TAC and Electricity, and makes Oxygen_TAC.

additionally get a mod pack with a green house, use the recycler modules in the part.cfg and make the green house use waste_TAC, wastewater_TAC, and Electricity, and produce Food_TAC.

Yea I know it's a hack job, but it works!

I also modified the Spherical Tanks mod to make my own TAC tanks for resources. I've been using those for bases and hooking up the modules via KAS lines.

All things are possible if you use your imagination.

You got the io... I mean the unnamed recyclers to work in TAC? And they recycle when the ship is inactive? I thought of attempting something like this but assumed that the problems Thunder was having were to do with getting the recyclers to work when the ship wasn't active (plus I was a little too busy to try it with the Duna challenge I was under, which is now finally done!). If adding in recyclers does work then that sounds like a plan. I'll have to see what works with that.

I'd be interested. If you've already got things operational (as I haven't done any modding in KSP yet, though planning on doing so) it'd sure be easier. Is that greenhouse model in your pack (if already made. Not sure if you meant you were GOING to make one). Personally, if the greenhouse is in, I'd rate it at a high efficiency though low output, thus you'd need a lot of them. 95% would last a moon base somewhere in the system until resupply was due... even if you had to carry a lot of greenhouses to handle your crew.

You got the io... I mean the unnamed recyclers to work in TAC? And they recycle when the ship is inactive? I thought of attempting something like this but assumed that the problems Thunder was having were to do with getting the recyclers to work when the ship wasn't active (plus I was a little too busy to try it with the Duna challenge I was under, which is now finally done!). If adding in recyclers does work then that sounds like a plan. I'll have to see what works with that.

No, unfortunately, I was only able to make the recycler work while its the active vessel. The only way to make it work while the vessel is inactive would be to have the plugin calculate it (kind of like what it's doing now to calculate how much of each resource should have been used in the time since the vessel was last active.

I'm not familiar enough with Unity to say if its possible to make this happen or not. I would think that you could make some checks "does vessel have recycler" if yes calculate recycle rate vs consumption rate debit the supplies. Etc Etc etc.

This is the same reason that Kethane doesn't "mine" while your ship is not active, something with or in the unity engine.

Now TT has done some interesting work called "never unload", where the vessels remain loaded (I'm not sure if that means active or not).

I really haven't had time to mess around with it anymore to this point, I will try and make some tests with these ideas in the next few days, but I doubt the outcome.