Playing KSP leading up to .21

bigpapabearxx

So is anyone else just building and doing R@D instead of doing missions? Im doing it because saves will probably not work with .21 and I dont want to lose big missions. Also has anyone considered the possibility that .21 will be released July 20 for Apollo 11's 44th anniversary?

I'm doing the same as you. R&D, testing space station designs, finishing up missions, pulling the plug on probe landers and rovers, deorbiting satellites, and bringing all my Kerbals home from their space stations and surface bases.

The devs have expressed reluctance to updating the game on a weekend, so tomorrow may be the only chance for release this week. What am I doing leading up to 0.21 though? Developing my shuttle fleet. Eventually I want to have a vehicle for every mission purpose.

Actually, you and I must have the same mindset. I have just been screwing around with different types of launchers and different booster separation techniques. I to have thought about when the next update may be released and have come up with 3 dates. The launch of Apollo 11 the 16th, the day the LEM landed on the moon the 20th or the day the mission ended on the 24th. any of these are possible and are also highly speculative.

I've been working on a new base design, so yes R&D. So far it's going poorly. I think my objectives are too high.

Needs to look good, but have a minimal part count. What this means is I am trying to put upright hitch hiker modules on the ground, connected to other modules through docking ports. This also means no lander legs.

The last test I did was comical, as when I staged, I watched half of the modules fall away. Then once I landed, the mini rovers designed to help didn't work at all - seems RTGs without a battery don't work.

I've been trying to get better at actually flying crafts in more efficient ways and keeping the unrealistic, interplanetary missions on the backburner until .21.

"5 minute ships" I build a ship in 5-10 min and see where it takes me. might be a new series for my channel.

Sounds like a winner ! I been so busy trying to setup my command center (at home ya harr harr) I never thought about this. I was gonna run the 'KSC SIMULATOR' and stream it out tonite - I really need to run more tests so I dont get my kerbies stranded. I have started a few missions though; havnt even gone to the Mun (mission-wise) - kinda pullin back too cause this game is all I play now and I needed to break things up alot to avoid burnout, which already happened once or twice.

This game is always fresh for me cause I am also roleplaying the dickins out of it, and also setting up the Alternate Reality Game or ARG for it; I have big plans on this end...so it is a good idea to pull those kerbies back if they are out on mission, and even a good idea to keep mission status in line with updates (RP-wise speaking); that could even be factored into the roleplay; upgrading of systems; new technologies; pace the game out.

I know now things are kind of 'similar' all around gamewise here; but there are learning possibilities that one has to create on our end to make it a more useful (not only) game but learning experience.

This game offers artwork to so one could work on that; keep our kerbies within space-arms's reach and get them back or at least have them situated; there is no reason also why we couldnt just start over; we have the designs that work but we may still have to rebuild them as I found out.

Thanks for the post - I also suppose when we are streaming our missions live we could reset up the missions 'offline' and then continue; no one wants to see repeat missions; and they shud get easier once we have done them too.

I spent 3 months in the 'SIM' learning this game before I started missions; I still have alot to do to gear up for missions and roleplay; that's just how I play this; this game is so great and has potential in many areas, is why I am taking it slow here.

Commander Zeta, lost in space still tryin to get back to Kerbin HAHA !

I've issued a general recall of all Kerbals in interplanetary colonies and space stations. So until 0.21 comes out, I'll be evacuating all facilities and returning my Kerbals to Kerbin.

Seeing as I haven't built much like that, I'm kind of doing the opposite, and scattering kerbals around the planet. Mainly because I'm still yet to get good at landing planes.

So is anyone else just building and doing R@D instead of doing missions? Im doing it because saves will probably not work with .21 and I dont want to lose big missions. Also has anyone considered the possibility that .21 will be released July 20 for Apollo 11's 44th anniversary?

I'm mostly been improving the SRB plug-in I've been working on, since I figure I might need to make some changes post .21 I might as well just develop until it's out. This has included a bunch of play testing though, so I'm launching all sorts of things into orbit, testing it with some popular mods to ensure compatibility (FAR, Procedural Fairings, and MechJeb). Needless to say, I'm not spending time building stations, but I am working on station part design. (I guess that counts as R&D)

Based on the weekly update, I'm hoping that the save file converter will work well. I have a scary feeling about how difficult it might be (also if it works perfectly, I'm afraid the community will expect such converters each time, and making truly game-breaking changes harder to take.)

I think .21 on 7/20 seems a bit unlikely, as I can't recall any Saturday releases. But when .16 came out 7/20/12 people had thought a Friday release was unlikely, so who knows.

Since I heard about the save breaking all I've been doing is R&D, testing out new rover and colony designs that I've been wanting to do for quite some time.

"Modular is your friend" , (Someone probably said that at some point :))

Harv mentioned he was working on a save game updater. No promises mind you, but he thinks he can convert ~ 90% or so... save a lot of space stations in his words...

If I had to guess, I'd say the closer to stock your save is, the better the results...

I've issued a general recall of all Kerbals in interplanetary colonies and space stations.

Personally I'm planning on a Mysterious Mass Kerbal Abduction Event. Then send crew out to the drifting vessels to resume operations. They may have been floating out there crewless for years.

What possible bad could happen?

I actually has ceased to play KSP until devs rollout 0.21

Doing other stuff (job, familty, pet project, etc).

Just want to accumulate inspiration and spare time for a fresh start in space exploration ;)

I was preparing to start construction of one of three major Kethane facilities on the mun but with all the rumors of .21 being a save breaker I will just be building the modules. I may as well try to de-orbit my space dock and recover the kerbals before (for the record, that thing was a b***h to put in orbit, massively cumbersome). If the next update is gonna be save breaking anyways, I was considering starting fresh and doing a youtube series ^.^

I've just been doing small missions. Nothing grand scale at all. A little orbiting base around Minmus, a few planes, etc.

I'm really trying to get a decent plane built. I'd like to have a Pegasus style plane that launches an orbital rocket, but those keep seeming to fail for me. But, since I have not real objectives at this point, I feel fine just trying out crap and seeing where it takes me.

I love the idea of 5-minute rockets. That's basically what I'm doing, except I usually waste and hour or two in the process. :D

I actually has ceased to play KSP until devs rollout 0.21

Doing other stuff (job, familty, pet project, etc).

Just want to accumulate inspiration and spare time for a fresh start in space exploration ;)

I'm doing the same thing. Was driving my wife nuts playing the game and coming to bed late, so banking up on some time ;)

-Mike

Also has anyone considered the possibility that .21 will be released July 20 for Apollo 11's 44th anniversary?

0.16 was released on July 20 on its 43rd anniversary. I started a thread about it way back then and, it was funny because everyone said that is was not going to come out then, and it did :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.