[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

• 4 weeks later...

Found an issue with SteamGauges 1.5 and KSP 0.23.5: the new engines KSP introduced with the last version (parts in "NASAmission" pack) are not recognized by the HUD for calculating current and maximum TWR. If engines are mixed (active at the same time) only other engines are computed.

Note from the Steamgauges sourcecode, in file SteamShip.cs, that TWR is computed from parts having module "ModuleEngines". The new engines have module "ModuleEnginesFX" instead, but there are no lines about current and maximum TWR calculations in SteamShip.cs for those "ModuleEnginesFX" parts.

I haven't really been working on anything new, no. I certainly plan to fix the issue mentioned above, and release an 0.24 patch when needed. I haven't been playing much KSP recently though, so my inspiration is down. Maybe I'll think of some more stuff when I'm playing again. Also, I was spending some time on a secret, unannounced project that also hasn't seen much work recently.

Version 1.5.1 is released.

I've only got the OneDrive link, I'll try to get a Curse link up later today. Version 1.5.1 fixes the TWR issue with all ModuleEnginesFX engines (the new ones). It should also get rid of some of the errors in the node gauge calculations. This version is now complied with the 0.23.5 DLLs, so it requires the latest version of KSP. Toolbar is not included in this release, but is still required.

hmm you know that this has been known to work well with EVA mods such as FirstPersonEva so why not design a HUD that capitalize on it

Primarily because I don't use first person EVA mods. :) That being said, the HUD does offer a jetpack fuel gauge, and you can disable the extra information around the pitch ladder to declutter it somewhat. What kinds of things don't you find suitable for EVA operations?

Primarily because I don't use first person EVA mods. :) That being said, the HUD does offer a jetpack fuel gauge, and you can disable the extra information around the pitch ladder to declutter it somewhat. What kinds of things don't you find suitable for EVA operations?

ok i may have at the time asked for too much when i said to capitalize on it as it would involve designing a new HUD just for EVAs like towards a more ( i think this would be too much as it goes against everything this mod is...) digital (oh god what was i thinking of saying this) approach like this:

space-diving-ironman-meets-star-trek-7.jpg

• 1 month later...

FYI, I haven't noticed any glaring problems with SteamGauges yet in 0.24, so I will probably be releasing an update tonight. If anyone does encounter any issues, please let me know so I can address them! Thanks.

Download Version 1.5.2

Here is a newly compiled version for 0.24! No real changes, just the latest update to compatibility checker and toolbar.

Please note that this is compiled against the x64 DLLs. There doesn't appear to be any issues running with the x86 versions, but my testing hasn't been exactly extensive. As usual, please report bugs here.

Edited by Trueborn
Formatting.

The HUD is not available in career mode until "Electronics" is researched. I should probably mention that somewhere more prominently... After that, Alt-H or the buttons will pull it up.

Great mod! The HUD is just what I was looking for. One question though, is it possible to move individual components of the HUD? I like having the functionality of the variometer (speed going up or down in altitude) but find it difficult to read in the center of the HUD. Would it be possible to move it off to the side, or even better, have it utilize a gauge similar to the altimeter?

One of the things on my to-do list is to make the entire HUD wider, which would result in the entire central information block being freed from interference from the pitch ladder. Unfortunately, that isn't something that I'm going to get to in the super near future. And currently I don't have any plans for the HUD to be configurable (any more than it already is). And by off to the side, do you mean a second HUD scale along the side of the altimeter? That may be an option (although it isn't present in the HUD I'm basing this off of, neither is a lot of other stuff!). I'll have to see how much room I have on that side of the HUD.

One of the things on my to-do list is to make the entire HUD wider, which would result in the entire central information block being freed from interference from the pitch ladder. Unfortunately, that isn't something that I'm going to get to in the super near future. And currently I don't have any plans for the HUD to be configurable (any more than it already is). And by off to the side, do you mean a second HUD scale along the side of the altimeter? That may be an option (although it isn't present in the HUD I'm basing this off of, neither is a lot of other stuff!). I'll have to see how much room I have on that side of the HUD.

What I had in mind was something along these lines:

AkzhM5h.jpg

You could have the lines within the pitch scale move, to align with the arrow.

Another idea I had was to replace the ladder on the left with a pitch ladder, as I'm still trying to figure out what that one is telling me.

From your description, it sounds like the layout of the HUD isn't perfectly clear for you, so here is a labeled image that might help:

B8kuEeG.png

None of the additional displays are showing on the left hand side, but I hope they are labeled clearly enough.

Just to the right of them is the speed tape. The circle with a line indicates the vessel's current speed. It is the same speed that the navball would display (orbital, surface) if it is visible, unless the air gauge is set to EAS. At the bottom of the speed tape is a ground speed readout. This is the horizontal component of the surface speed. Below that is a mach readout (above a minimum value, in atmosphere only). To the right of the speed tape, and dominating the display, is the pitch ladder. It roughly replicates the navball. The wide, unlabeled line is the horizon, short lines are 5 degree increments, and medium lines are 10 degree increments. Dashed lines are negative pitch, solid lines are positive. At the top of the pitch ladder is a bank indicator. The top of the arc is vertical, if the diamond is at 3 o'clock, you are rolled 90 degrees right, etc. In the center of the pitch ladder is the "W" which represents the direction the nose is pointing. The prograde/retrograde marker will also be displayed indicating the actual direction of movement. To the left of the "W" is a digital readout of speed, and to the right is a readout of altitude above the vertical speed in m/s. At the bottom of the display is a compass, displaying large lines as 10s of degrees, and small lines as 5 degrees. To the right of the pitch ladder is the altimeter. It displays your MSL altitude (above sea level), initially in hundreds of meters, then thousands of meters. Below this is a radar altitude, which displays actual height above terrain. To the far right of the display is a throttle gauge (intended for IVA use), and a thrust to weight indicator. Above this is a status display that will tell you if landing gear is extended, lights or brakes are on, or an engine is overheating.

Here is what I would be trying for if I did a VVI off to the side of the altitude tape:

v5gJ1ot.png

The needle moves to point at the vertical velocity, with a digital readout below. The scale for the tick marks would be 50, 100, 200, 300, and 600 m/s. I could also do a straight analog VVI, but that would just end up duplicating the stock UI, which is why I haven't done that.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the gauges to me (and for not getting too frustrated at my lack of knowledge!) it all makes a lot more sense now. I like your idea for the vertical speed readout- call me crazy but I just like to try and get my planes flying as level as possible.