[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

Have you also made sure that Toolbar is installed? If it isn't installed, SteamGauges won't run. It should have been included in the download, as a 000_Toolbar folder. If Toolbar is installed, then the SteamGauges button is probably hidden. Find the toolbar when you are in the flight scene, and click the little arrow to get the menu to show up. You want to "Configure Visible Buttons" and then make sure the SteamGauges icon is checked. It looks like a little gauge. If none of this is working, it might help to upload your ksp.log file so we can see if you're running into an error somewhere.

<break>

I have released a new test version of SteamGauges!

Download 1.5.6a

This version adds two options to improve readability of the HUD.

First is an option to use a different color for the numerical data in the center of the HUD. It is a new option in the options menu, and you can set it to any color you want. The opposite of your main HUD color offers the most visibility.

The second is a new VVI gauge to the right of the altitude tape. It offers a visual indication of vertical speed from +600 to -600 m/s, as well as a digital readout below the scale. The tick marks are at 50, 100, 200, 300, and 600 m/s.

Please let me know if you have any feedback before I release this as a full version.

Source Code

Edited by Trueborn
Formatting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hey I realy want to use this mod but I can't get it to work.:confused:

I would love to help, but I'm gonna have to ask you to be more specific. My first thoughts are to make sure it is installed correctly (in the GameData/Steamgauges folder), and you also have Blizzy's toolbar installed. If both of those are installed correctly, you can look through your KSP log and look at the Steamgauges section and see if it is throwing any errors.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the first post should mention how to use the mouse input feature, since there is barely any gui besides the checkboxes in the options window and it's not discoverable. The basic points are:

• When enabled, mouse input can be done by dragging the mouse over the center area of the HUD. Window positions obviously must be locked, otherwise it will move the HUD window instead. Input can be toggled between Rocket or Plane modes affecting either Pitch/Yaw or Pitch/Roll.
  • Enabling mouse input adds a minimized mode to the HUD where only a center mark is visible until mouse is pressed down on it to activate input and more elements appear. This mode is available even where full HUD is not accessible because of career limitations or being in Map mode etc, and the hud toggle button also cycles through it.
  • Input is calculated from the distance between the mouse cursor and the center mark of the HUD. There is a sizeable dead zone (the center is indicated by a cross like mark) and the input curve is slightly nonlinear to enable more precision near zero.
  • When SAS is active, mouse input adjusts the orientation it tries to keep instead of directly appyling input. This target orientation is made visible by an additional mark.
  • Holding right Ctrl when pressing the mouse down temporarily inverts the Plane/Rocket switch until the mouse is released.
  • Holding the modifier key (left Alt or right Shift depending on OS) when releasing the mouse adds the current input to trim instead of simply resetting to zero.

I think the first post should mention how to use the mouse input feature, since there is barely any gui besides the checkboxes in the options window and it's not discoverable. The basic points are:

• When enabled, mouse input can be done by dragging the mouse over the center area of the HUD. Window positions obviously must be locked, otherwise it will move the HUD window instead. Input can be toggled between Rocket or Plane modes affecting either Pitch/Yaw or Pitch/Roll.
  • Enabling mouse input adds a minimized mode to the HUD where only a center mark is visible until mouse is pressed down on it to activate input and more elements appear. This mode is available even where full HUD is not accessible because of career limitations or being in Map mode etc, and the hud toggle button also cycles through it.
  • Input is calculated from the distance between the mouse cursor and the center mark of the HUD. There is a sizeable dead zone (the center is indicated by a cross like mark) and the input curve is slightly nonlinear to enable more precision near zero.
  • When SAS is active, mouse input adjusts the orientation it tries to keep instead of directly appyling input. This target orientation is made visible by an additional mark.
  • Holding right Ctrl when pressing the mouse down temporarily inverts the Plane/Rocket switch until the mouse is released.
  • Holding the modifier key (left Alt or right Shift depending on OS) when releasing the mouse adds the current input to trim instead of simply resetting to zero.

Added to first post.

• 1 month later...

SteamGagues 1.6.0 is now released with 0.90 compatibility. I changed the way that SAS has handled internally for the mouse input, but everything should look the same to users. Please give Curse a little bit to process and approve the upload. The alternate download is available immediately.

Download

Alt Download

Source

Thanks!

For me, Steamgauges is usually one of the first things to download after a new version is out,

Primarily just for the Radar Altimeter needle arcing gracefully across illegible numbers with irregularly spaced dividing lines, but the other ones are useful too :)

Any thought of integrating the availability of certain gauges with R&D or building-tiers?

Not beyond the HUD, which is already tied to research. Almost all of the data I'm providing is actually available elsewhere in the UI (or in IVA view), if in a less anachronistic way. So I feel that all of these gauges are ones that the Kerbals would have access to when the Mk 1 Command Pod is available.

Hmm that's odd. The latest SteamGauges causes my science report pop-ups to no longer show (the little windows that appear with the science text, numbers and buttons once you tell a sensor to make a reading).

I'm running 0.90.

If I remove SteamGauges, but leave in all other mods, it works ok. As soon as I put in SteamGauges, the science pop-up no longer shows.. Was ok in 0.25 with the previous release for SteamGauges.

Here's my current list of mods (contents of GameData)

folders:

000_Toolbar

DeadlyReentry

Engineer

FerramAerospaceResearch

FirstPersonEVA

HullCameraVDS

JSI

KerbQuake

NASAmission

NavyFish

Nereid (FinalFrontier)

SCANsat

Squad

ThunderAerospace (LifeSupport)

TriggerTech (TransferWindowPlanner)

files

FinalFrontier.dat

ModuleManager.2.5.4.dll

ModuleManager.ConfigCache

ModuleManager.ConfigSHA

toolbar-settings.dat

Am I missing something?

On a side note, it would be nice to have the plugin version in the SteamGauges.dll properties :)

Hi Trueborn. I love the mod. I haven't been able to get the new version to work with KSP .90. Do I need an add-on tool bar? I just did a new install of the game and mod. Steamgauges is the only file in the Gamedata folder other than the Squad file and the NASA mission file. When KSP loads I can see it loading Steamgauges files, but in-game I don't see any sign of it. Any advice? Thanks for the awesome mod!

WRT the science reports:

Had this same issue crop up, and from my troubleshooting, it looks to be an incompatibility between Blizzy's Toolbar and Steam Gauges. Take either one out, and all is well. Know next to nothing about how to poke into the coding of either one, so I'll leave that to those noble modders who make our lives so much more fun (if sometimes explosive).

It appears to be an issue with the changes to maneuver nodes that were made for the building upgrades. For now, just disable the node gauge and you should be fine. I'll be releasing and update soon, but I'm working on some additional content as well and want to finish that up first (if it doesn't take too long).

I have released a beta version of SteamGauges that addresses the node gauge issue as well as adds a new gauge, the Nav Gauge.

Download 1.6.1b

oj2XzNk.png

Currently, the nav gauge only appears when a waypoint is selected via the KSP map. There are four main components. The first is the rotating compass card in the middle of the gauge. It rotates so that the active vessel's current heading is always at the top of the gauge. The yellow needle is a bearing pointer that will point towards the active waypoint. To head towards the waypoint, just move the needle to the top of the gauge. In the upper left corner is a block labeled "DME" (distance measuring equipment) that gives the distance to the active waypoint in km. And in the bottom left is a time block labeled "ETE" (estimated time enroute), which gives you the time it would take to reach the active waypoint if you moved directly there at your current ground speed.

Please let me know if you have any issues with this version before I release it as a regular release. I'm also wondering if people would be interested in a full time nav gauge as a compass replacement, albeit without the waypoint information.

• 3 weeks later...

This is AWESOME and IMHO the magnetic compass becomes replaced by this! So just delete the magnetic compass, make it toggleable instead of only appear when there is a waypoint selected, and make the needle stay at the 090 mark, and the DME and ETE read 0.0 or OFF and 00:00:00 when there is no active waypoint (just like in real aircraft RMI's wich stay at the 090 position when there is no NAV source selected)

Have i already said that this is totally awesome and you rock?