[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

Now i had time to toroughly test it and it seems to work perfectly, but, for distances over 99.9 km it shows a black square instead of the hundreds digit.

digitos_dme_steam_gauges.png

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: For distances over 999.9km

I've attempted to slightly modify the heading indicator, but then I realized that the plugin draws the compass disk above the instrument and not bellow it.

Here is what I was trying to do:

p26asAP.png

Any chance you could modify the order in which the plugin draws the parts of the heading indicator so that this would work, and if you like it feel free to use this version.

Also I've noticed that both the compass disk and the heading indicator are inverted, for example if you're heading north it shows that you're heading south. I'm not sure if this have anything to do with the distance to the nav point which was over 1500Km.

tdmleVi.png

uz1pIp9.png

I'll have to look at the heading stuff, but it shouldn't be affected by distance at all. There's a chance I'm getting heading in a range from -180 to 180 instead of 0-360, which could be the cause of that error.

Sure, I can change the draw order. I don't know that I'll use your graphic (though it looks nice) because in the future I might have use for a CDI of some sort, which would take up space in the center of the gauge.

I'll also look at the super long range distances. It is supposed to just clamp to the max value when the point is too far away.

Do one of your gauges display hull temperature for the Deadly Re-entry mod? :-)

No. In general, I don't support specific mods that add unique features. Even the limited support for FAR was added by a.g. and not myself. If there was a ton of demand for it I may consider it, but it would be tough to integrate into much besides the HUD without making a stand alone temperature gauge.

And now something for everyone.

Download Version 1.6.1c

Download Source

This updated beta version fixes a couple of issues described above. Specifically, distances over 999.9 km should now display 999.9km correctly. The nav gauge now displays at all times when selected, not just when a waypoint is active. When there is no active waypoint, the bearing pointer is locked at 90 degrees, distance and time both read 0, and an "OFF" flag is displayed on the left side of the face. Let me know if that location is too bothersome. The bearing pointer may move a little smoother than before. I have changed the draw order for the gauge textures, so that _Rade's alternate image should now display correctly.

To get the OFF flag you'll have to incorporate the OFF flag, however.

Unfortunately, I could not find any evidence of inverted heading. It may be vessel specific, if your control source is positioned oddly. Please give that a shot, or let me know if you're running any mods that might somehow mess with vessel control or orientation.

Please let me know what you find. Enjoy!

Well that was quick, thanks for the update.

I just did a little bit of testing and it seems that heading indicator is always locked to the root part on the vehicle. That's what caused the problem with the glider.

This is not a problem when you have only one command pod which also happens to be the root part. But if you have more than one command pod, probe core or command seat it will not update the heading when you switch command. Heading indicator on the HUD seems to be affected by this as well.

I've tested this with the rover which had command modules pointed in different directions, and no matter which one them was selected the heading stayed the same even when the rover was moving in opposite direction.

aZ69DUe.png

on this screenshot the rover is heading west and its controlled from the command pod on left

Also here's the updated nav gauge

rAdxnFe.png

Ok, I'll look into where I'm sourcing my heading from. I'm also thinking about adding a "NAV SEL" button that will allow you to cycle between available waypoints instead of relying on the active waypoint only.

Beta is cool :D we get to give feedback live. The new features are cool and it feels nice to have a developer who pays attention.

I like the waypoint selection idea because for some unstable planes coming back to the map is unpractical! Maybe have the nav waypoint selector à là Docking Port Alignemnt Indicator?

reworked_DPAI.jpg

On another topic, Rade, cool glider! there is a Spanish KSP Facebook group. You are welcome if you want in.

It will probably just be a button that cycles through them initially. I'm not sure that I want an entire text line on the gauge, though. Just click until the one that's closest to you is selected. I don't see people having more than four waypoints at any one time being super likely.

_Rade, I've managed to resolve the heading issue for alternate command sources. That'll be coming with the next release.

Great, in the meantime I've just changed the root part so that the indicator is pointing in the right direction.

btw do you plan to make vertical velocity indicator, stock vvi is nice but its somewhat unprecise especially when you're doing landings.

@ap0r

Thanks, I use it to complete contracts near the space center. The fuselage is made mostly from the procedural fairings and I beams, landing gear and electric propeller are from KAX, command seats are from Kerbonov and speed brakes are from SXT. It's real fun to fly it, thanks to the large wing area it is very maneuverable and it can take off and land practically anywhere.

I'm planning to send it on the next missions to Duna and Eve, I just have to figure out the best way to attach it to the rocket.

Great, in the meantime I've just changed the root part so that the indicator is pointing in the right direction.

btw do you plan to make vertical velocity indicator, stock vvi is nice but its somewhat unprecise especially when you're doing landings.

[snip]

I've considered it, but generally I end up deciding I don't feel like replicating the gauge that always sits on the screen anyway. I realize I kind of did that with the fuel/electrical gauges, but you can at least hide those. Anyway, at the moment I don't feel like me making a VVI would add enough to make it worthwhile. Same with a baro altimeter.

Ok, here's the new beta version. Multiple control sources are now supported, and I've added a "NAV SEL" button to the nav gauge. Clicking the button will cycle through the available nav waypoints without having to go to the map. If you do activate a waypoint from the map however, the gauge will display bearing, range and ETE for that waypoint until it is deactivated. Please let me know what you guys find out.

Download V1.6.1d

It would be possible, although not super useful right now as everything else is currently in meters and associated metric units. I have a Secret Project that actually does allow ground speed readouts in knots, mph, km/h or m/s, but it'll be a while before that's ready for any kind of public consumption.

Unfortunately, you have now given me a reason to do an altimeter and VVI, and possibly add the option to toggle between m/s and knots on the air gauge. We'll see.

It would be possible, although not super useful right now as everything else is currently in meters and associated metric units. I have a Secret Project that actually does allow ground speed readouts in knots, mph, km/h or m/s, but it'll be a while before that's ready for any kind of public consumption.

Unfortunately, you have now given me a reason to do an altimeter and VVI, and possibly add the option to toggle between m/s and knots on the air gauge. We'll see.

Would also be a good option if steam gauge read the FAR speed setting or at least with a switch to toggle this option on.

e.g. if user choose EAS+ kt in FAR setting, steam gauge HUD can change to that automatically , it would be nice.

For players that has been flying in real life and/or flight sims for quite some time, its a bit hard to change mind to m/s, imagine you have m/s on your car speed display :confused:

Oh believe me, I'm familiar.

I'm not sure on the FAR stuff (a.g. actually wrote all that integration), but I can look at it and see whether that data is visible.

You could just check straight from the Flight UI as to what the displayed unit is if FAR doesn't expose the current setting.

Edited by Crzyrndm

• 1 month later...

I use this mod for the HUD and it is really good, I just have one big request :

Could you do a radar, not the altimeter, something to display things (vessels, debris ...) that are around you .

I would like to have this because I tried some fights with BDarmory but I can't see incoming missiles or planes .

I don't ask you to do a mod to transform ksp into ace combat, but as you did some very good job with the HUD, I thought you can do something about having a radar .

• 2 months later...

YAY..looking forward to using this again!

Messed with it when you first released..was great, but most of the gauges didnt look right as I was running on laptop with setting really low...I was kinda sad as these gauges are the absolute best.....

Well, new rig now, running KSP on max...this is for sure going back in my must have list =)

SteamGauges 1.6 is not compatible with KSP 1.0. I'm working on it now, but don't have an ETA for a fix yet. Depends on how much they changed.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, that doesn't appear to have been that bad. It certainly hasn't been fully tested yet, but a trial version of 1.7.0 is available here. Let me know if you encounter any bugs with this new version.

Eh, unfortunately one bug seems to be showing with version 1.7.0 in a brand new clean KSP 1.0 install (build 830).

In game, there is nothing about SteamGauges showing (not an icon or else), and the log shows the following during the initial assembly loading:

Non platform assembly: H:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.0\GameData\SteamGauges\Plugins\SteamGauges.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SteamGauges': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Additional information about this exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SteamGauges.SteamGauges' from assembly 'SteamGauges, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Full log here.

Eh, unfortunately one bug seems to be showing with version 1.7.0 in a brand new clean KSP 1.0 install (build 830).

In game, there is nothing about SteamGauges showing (not an icon or else), and the log shows the following during the initial assembly loading:

Non platform assembly: H:\Games\KSP\KSP 1.0\GameData\SteamGauges\Plugins\SteamGauges.dll (this message is harmless)
AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'SteamGauges': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Additional information about this exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SteamGauges.SteamGauges' from assembly 'SteamGauges, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Full log here.

Can confirm this...

Though I did load Blizzy toolbar, was able to open all gauges and menu, everything seems to work perfectly, correct data showing on all the gauges.