[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

Also do you think warnings should be acompanied by some sort of sound?

Aural warnings are good but don't overdo them like in the ASET pods.

For reference, a lot of aircraft use aural warnings for the Ground Proximity Warning System, with the most common being:

* Altitude low and gear not deployed, warning: "TOO LOW, GEAR"

* Altitude low and aircraft descending too fast, warning: "SINK RATE"

* Aircraft within x meters of terrain: "TERRAIN"

* Aircraft within x meters of ground and descending, warning "DON'T SINK"

Usually these warnings get accompanied by a "PULL UP" callout when the descent rate is too high. Also, altitude callouts are pretty common.

Aural warnings are good but don't overdo them like in the ASET pods.

For reference, a lot of aircraft use aural warnings for the Ground Proximity Warning System, with the most common being:

* Altitude low and gear not deployed, warning: "TOO LOW, GEAR"

* Altitude low and aircraft descending too fast, warning: "SINK RATE"

* Aircraft within x meters of terrain: "TERRAIN"

* Aircraft within x meters of ground and descending, warning "DON'T SINK"

Usually these warnings get accompanied by a "PULL UP" callout when the descent rate is too high. Also, altitude callouts are pretty common.

GPWS (which you are describing above - Ground Proximity Warning System) is a somewhat more advanced system, and is actually included in the HUD (without the audio). I don't plan on incorporating audio at the moment, but who knows in the future.

Yes, I am trying to decide how I want to handle the nuisance BATT DISCH warnings. I'll probably put some sort of timer on it, so it only activates after X seconds, or over a higher threshold. I will look into the no fuel issue, but are you using combined tanks and just loading no O2 in them? If that's the case, the gauge is detecting the fact that you have 0 of (some amount of O2 above 0) oxygen on board, and correctly illuminates the low fuel warning. The best solution then is probably to have a separate low/no O2 light (and xenon, by extension), requiring a texture re-work. I can also add an inhibitor function, that disables individual annunciators (turns them... blue?) when clicked on. There is a stall warning on the air gauge, and SAS is in the HUD and main UI, so I'm not inclined to duplicate that.

Also after more playtesting, it'd be great if clicking on an unlit Master warning, cycles between hiding/showing the warning panel.

Master caution illuminates -> Click shows the warning panel, master caution resets to off, clicking again hides the warning panel.

No lights illuminated, but you want to check the warning panel for some reason? Click once on either master warning or master caution to show the panel, click again to hide.

I have no problem with doing extra lights or any other texture work :) just ask for whatever you need

Yeah, I like the idea of clicking on the MW/MC to show/hide the annunciator panel; I'll put that in as well. If you could, please add another column with LOX LOW, NO LOX, XENON LOW, NO XENON lights, and add some kind of blue (or whatever you feel works best for "disabled").

are you using combined tanks and just loading no O2 in them

Nope. I was testing with just pure jet + LF tanks stooging around KSC. I will try again with Rapiers and mixed fuel.

Fair enough about the SAS warning but I still think it would be nice to have STALL somewhere on the main panel, or at least linked to the warning system, as it is one of those things that can bite you if the COM shifts in flight and it's a pretty major problem when it occurs.

At the risk of adding another whydoncha: Could the panel be split into 3. one for"General" one for "aircraft" and one for "spacey" warnings. Then We could toggle between them or have the relevant one become visible when a warning occurs?

#edit: originally suggested 2 panels but many of the warnings are common to both flight modes.

E.g. I tend to play with your "maneuver", "air" and "radar alt." gauges on top of each other so that "maneuver" appears in space, the "air" in upper atmo. and the "alt." below 5000m. That way the most relevant gauge is visible when I need it but the screen isn't so cluttered I can still see my ship!

I also had a thought about the gear warning: Instead of a separate "GEAR TRN." could you illuminate both "UP" and "DOWN" in yellow during translation (suggesting gear not locked in either state)? It would free up a window but still alert the pilot. I'm not sure it needs a separate warning as I don't think I have ever had the gear stick half way. I'm no coder (or pilot!) so tell me if I'm talking balderdash.

Brilliant work anyway so feel free to ignore me. Just my ramblings.

Percy

Edited by percyPrune
I'm an idiot

Small bug detected:

On the nav gauge, when you click "NAV SEL" when there is no target, the entire GUI disappears and the debug log is spammed with NullReferenceExceptions.

The entire layer is affected because the revert menu won't show up when pressing [ESC] afterwards.

I have not tried doing the same with a target selected yet.

Small bug detected:

On the nav gauge, when you click "NAV SEL" when there is no target, the entire GUI disappears and the debug log is spammed with NullReferenceExceptions.

The entire layer is affected because the revert menu won't show up when pressing [ESC] afterwards.

I have not tried doing the same with a target selected yet.

Was unable to reproduce it. Are you using the latest version? Also, any other mods?

I'll look at that as well, Stoney.

That's odd, percy. If there is no storage for oxidizer, it shouldn't trigger that light; I'll look at it further though. I like your gear transit idea (which is indeed how most aircraft gear lights work). Maybe the stall light can work in its place (I doubt a stick shaker is practical in this case). I will think about logical ways to split the panel, but I don't think it will be my immediate priority.

Like this?

I replaced LOX with OXID because there are other oxidizers besides LOX, and KSP does not say wich one do Kerbals use.

That is good, yes. Please move GEAR UP to where GEAR TRN is, and put "STALL" in above it. Also, move LIGHTS to where PE LOW is now, move PANEL DP up one, and put PE LOW where PANEL DEP is now. I just don't like one orbital light being so far from the rest, and I think lights works fine next to brakes. I'm not 100% on the blue, but I can change that myself. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I would almost like a kind of orange, but that seems like it might not be far enough away from the red/yellow. Maybe a much lighter or darker grey?

That is good, yes. Please move GEAR UP to where GEAR TRN is, and put "STALL" in above it. Also, move LIGHTS to where PE LOW is now, move PANEL DP up one, and put PE LOW where PANEL DEP is now. I just don't like one orbital light being so far from the rest, and I think lights works fine next to brakes. I'm not 100% on the blue, but I can change that myself. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I would almost like a kind of orange, but that seems like it might not be far enough away from the red/yellow. Maybe a much lighter or darker grey?

How about plain white?

Or how about a red/white striped flag? Much like INOP, but behind the text?

Just tested it again, and it happened. Using the latest beta version of Steam Gauges, and around 40 mods.

I believe I have fixed that, but you'll have to wait for the next build.

Plain white might work. I'll play with a few colors while I'm testing things out. I think candy cane makes it look too much like it is broken, not off. Also, it doesn't look as much like it is being lit from behind then.

Edited by Trueborn
Additional comments.

Quickly put this together:

y7A1FsI.png

Blue, white, striped (physical flag), amber.

Toughts?

Also, the modifications you asked for are done. I think i've acidentally messed up the relative positions of bezel and panel, so it's probable that stuff won't line up easily for you.

0zIDoS6.png

Edited by ap0r
Grammer Mine IZ ztoopid. huhu

I think that's the way we should go. Trying to decide if I like it with the red off texture or a grey off texture for the disable lights. Could you bring down the brightness of the on lights just a touch? Maybe not run them quite a high up to white.