[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

Tired of all of those compact, precise, and easily interpretable digital readouts cluttering up your orbital maneuvers? Do you look back to days when needles arced gracefully across illegible numbers with irregularly spaced dividing lines? Then SteamGauges is the plugin for you! Bringing a variety of of instruments to a space program near you. Please note, SteamGauges requires Blizzy's Toolbar plugin, which you can download here.

sXYUeV6.png

SteamGauges is a plugin for KSP that adds a number of og-style gauges based mostly around aircraft instrumentation. Simply drop the SteamGauges folder into your GameData directory, and then click the gauge icon to bring up a menu of available gauges. Toggle on or off the gauges you want, then close the menu again. All the gauges are draggable, and remember their positions. Please note, as this is a plugin and not a part-based mod, all settings are global and not vehicle specific.

Changelog

Version 1.7.2
Compatible with KSP 1.0.4
Fixes Nav Gauge distance errors on bodies other than Kerbin.

Version 1.7.0
Compatible with KSP 1.0.2
Adds the Temperature gauge.

Version 1.6.0
Compatible with KSP 0.90

Version 1.5.7
Compatible with KSP 0.25.

Version 1.5.6
Added new high contrast mode for central speed/altitude data and a new vertical speed gauge to the right of the altitude tape on the HUD. New toolbar release w/license information.

Version 1.5.4
Changed compatibility string for 0.24.1 and Toolbar 1.7.5.

Version 1.5.3
Changed compatibility string for 0.24.1 and Toolbar 1.7.5.

Version 1.5.2
Now compiled with the 0.24x64 DLLs. It also includes the latest versions of compatibility checker and toolbar.

Version 1.5.1
Now compiled with the 0.23.5 DLLs, this version now correctly gets information from the new engines, so your first stages will now display TWR and calculate maneuver nodes again.
Toolbar is [I]not[/I] included in this download, but is still required.

Version 1.5.0
The new, round, radar altimeter is here! The major change to the RA is that it now fits in with the rest of the gauges in size and aesthetics. The behavior is the same except for the following changes:
- Maximum altitude is now 5,000m.
- Auto-Stop will now stop a burn if the vessel begins to climb.
- The gauge no longer displays time to impact.
- The gauge no longer displays the Green/Yellow/Red proximity lights.
The Orbital Gauge can once again display orbital period. Just click on the button below the time readout.
There are also a few minor changes throughout, courtesy of a.g.
Toolbar 1.7.0 is included in this download.

Version 1.4.2
The threshold for displaying Mach number and G's on the HUD and Air gauge is now editable in the config file. Look for the HUDminMach, AirMinMach and HUDminG keys.
The default key combo to toggle the HUD is now LeftAlt+H, still editable through the config file.
Toolbar 1.5.0 is included

Version 1.4.1
The threshold for displaying Mach number and G's on the HUD is now editable in the config file. Look for the HUDminMach and HUDminG keys.
Each gauge can be totally disabled via the config file. Look for the EnableXXXGauge keys, and set to 0 for any gauge you don't want to use.
When the node gauge is armed to burn, 5 seconds prior the time warp is set to 1. This won't replace alarm clock, but it might help at up to 10x or so.
Bug Fix: The HUD can be turned off again.
And toolbar 1.4.5 is included.

Version 1.4
New Gauge! The Air gauge displays airspeed, mach, AoA, terminal velocity, and intake efficiency.
The radar altimeter and node gauge both support limited automation in the form of automatic burn start and stop.
The HUD and fuel gauge now display jetpack fuel when controlling a Kerbal in EVA.
FAR is supported (but not required) in the Air gauge.
There is now an option to toggle all gauges via toolbar buttons. You can change this setting in the settings menu.
Toolbar 1.4.4 is included in this download.

Version 1.3.4
0.23 Compatibility
Orbital Gauge now displays time to Ap/Pe and Ascending/Descending node, and can display negative Pe values (toggle through the advanced menu).
Toolbar 1.2.0 is included in this download.

Version 1.3.3
Includes Toolbar 1.1.0 and fixes a bug where the main window status was not being saved.

Version 1.3.2
Now compatible with Blizzy's Toolbar!

Version 1.3.1
Fixed a bug that had the electrical gauge spamming the console.

Version 1.3
Stable release with several HUD updates and various bug fixes.
The HUD now displays current Mach number in atmosphere.
The HUD will now display a warning when total fuel, monopropellant, or electrical charge is below 10% of max value.
The HUD will now display a warning when intake air is running low. Depending on how many intakes you have, this should give you a few seconds of warning to descend or throttle back to prevent a flameout.
The HUD will now display a warning when an engine is over 85% of its maximum temperature.
The Electric Gauge now correctly reports large draws, instead of showing a charge. The gauge has also been re-scaled to show small draws or charges better.
Mouse input is now available through the HUD. Just click into the center of the HUD to fine tune your vessel's trajectory.
The HUD will not display in career mode until "Electronics" is researched. All other gauges are available at the beginning.
The HUD throttle gauge only appears when the throttle is above 0%.
And many more!

Version 1.21 Updates:
Updated for KSP 0.21

Version 1.1 Updates:
New Gauge! The Maneuver Node Gauge is here to help you conduct all your burns in style.
The displays in the GUI should now resize better and look a little cleaner overall.

Gauges in V1.5

Temperature Gauge:

- The Temperature gauge displays the temperature of the hottest part on the current vessel with a needle and numeric readout. Additionally, it displays the percentage of ablative material remaining.

Air Gauge:

- The Air Gauge is here to aid all your atmospheric flights! It features a radial airspeed gauge that can display either True airspeed (KSP’s native mode) or Equivalent airspeed. Equivalent airspeed is uncorrected for altitude and mach, and so it will always be lower than TAS. The EAS/TAS button toggles between the two modes. Around this airspeed indicator you will see three needles. The orange pointer is your current airspeed. The red and white “barber poll†indicates the current terminal velocity, and the blue arrow is the speed of sound.

- In the top center of the gauge is your current mach number, accurate to two decimal places.

- Below that is an Angle of Attack readout, and a stall warning indicator. It will display pitch AoA from 99.9 to -9.9 degrees. The red stall light illuminates when AoA goes above a user specified value (default is 25).

- At the bottom of the gauge is an air intake readout. The green arc means you have 200-500% more air than is required by your engines. The yellow arc is 100% to 200%, and the red arc is less air than needed. Try to keep the needle in the yellow or higher.

Radar Altimeter:

- This radar altimeter displays the active vehicle's current height above the terrain in meters, on a variable scale from 20,000 down to 0

- There is a tri-color indicator light that illuminates (while descending) green, then yellow, then red.

- There are switches at the top and bottom of the gauge to allow for automatic start of a suicide burn, and automatic termination when reaching the surface.

– There is a Time To Impact countdown at the bottom of the gauge. This is only functional on airless worlds.

Magnetic Compass:

- This compass is just that: a compass. It displays your heading in degrees.

Fuel Gauge:

- This dual purpose gauge displays the remaining rocket fuel (not oxidizer) remaining as a percentage of total fuel carried on board, as well as the amount of monopropellant remaining.

- There is a two color indicator light for both gauges. It turns yellow when the quantity is below 25%, and red when below 1%.

Electrical Gauge:

- Displays current battery charge as a percent, as well as draw or charge. Unlike the stock UI gauge, negative values show usage, and positive values show charge.

Orbital Gauge:

- This display has everything you need to get to orbit!

- Digital readouts of Apoapsis, Periapsis, and time to next Ap/Pe or node (HHH:MM:SS)

- There are 4-color lights next to the AP and PE indicators. They are normally off, but illuminate under the following conditions:

* AP Red = Apoapsis below atmosphere

* AP Yellow = Vessel is on an escape trajectory from current SOI

* AP Green = Apoapsis is above to 20% above the atmosphere

* AP Blue = Apoapsis and Periapsis are within 1% of each other

* PE Red = Periapsis is below ground level

* PE Yellow = Periapsis is below the top of the atmosphere

* PE Green = Periapsis is above to 20% above the atmosphere

* PE Blue = Periapsis and Apoapsis are within 1% of each other

- There are two green "B" lights next to the AP/PE readouts. These indicate the optimal burn window for that node.

- og inclination gauge

Rendezvous Gauge:

- This is a stack of three gauges in one! It is intended for vessel rendezvous rather than planetary rendezvous, although many of the elements will still be accurate.

- The left gauge displays the target vessel's Apoapsis, Periapsis, Period, and the active vessel's relative inclination.

- The center gauge displays relative velocity in meters per second. The cross represents horizontal and vertical drift, while the number in the upper left corner is forward motion.

- The right gauge displays target distance, the closest approach in the next orbit, and how long until that approach will occur.

- The distance indicator has a tri-color, normally dark light that illuminates when:

* Green = Target is within 1km

* Yellow = Target is within 100m

* Red = Target is within 10m

Maneuver Node Gauge:

- Displays information about the current (first) maneuver node for the active vessel.

- Total Delta V for the burn is displayed at the top

- Time until the burn should begin is displayed second

- Remaining burn time is displayed at the bottom

- The percent of the burn remaining is displayed by the orange needle along the right side of the gauge

- The current throttle setting is displayed by the blue needle along the right side of the gauge

- There are two buttons to control automatic start and stop of scheduled burns.

HUD Gauge

– Not really a gauge, the HUD displays a lot of information in an easy to interpret digital display. Pretty much the opposite of the rest of the gauges here.

- The center of the HUD is dominated by the pitch ladder which shows vessel pitch and (in chase/IVA) roll against the horizon. Each 10 degree line is labeled, while the 5 degree lines are not.

– At the top of the pitch ladder is a bank indicator for times when the horizon is not a valid reference. The top arrow is “Upâ€Â, and the bottom arrow is where the top of your craft is pointing. Line them up to be level, and bank to move the arrow in the direction you want it to move (If it is left of center, roll right to center it). There are marker lines at 10, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 150, and 180 degrees.

– To the left of the pitch ladder is an air speed tape (surface velocity). Below this is a groundspeed readout.

– To the right of the pitch ladder is an altitude tape. Below this is radar altitude.

– At the bottom of the gauge is a compass card.

– Around the outside of the tapes are additional readouts like Ap, Pe, throttle, etc.

– TTAp/TTPe are the time to Apoapsis and Periapsis

– Incl is inclination.

– TD is target distance, TAp/TPe are target Apoapsis/Periapsis, TAlt is target altitude.

– RVel is relative velocity. The last digit is 1/10th of a m/s, but I think the . is misplaced.

– CAppr is closest approach, and TTCA is time until closest approach. RIncl is relative inclination.

– Delta V and DeltaVRem are self explanatory. BurnT is burn time, and TTBurn is time to burn.

- The HUD will also display GPWS warnings (Ground Proximity Warning System), which will try to help you not crash into the ground. It is based on FAA systems, so will probably need more tuning for use in KSP, and is almost entirely inappropriate for vertical landings. It can be disabled through the advanced settings menu.

The opacity of all gauges can be adjusted using the slider in the main menu.

Advanced Settings Menu

The Advanced Settings menu allows users to fine tune the gauges to their liking. Each gauge has a Scale slider that can increase or decrease the size of the gauge. Several gauges have additional options:

Radar Altimeter:

* Green Light - Below this altitude and above the Yellow Light altitude, the green light illuminates.

* Yellow Light - Below this altitude and above the Red Light altitude, the yellow light illuminates.

* Red Light - Below this altitude, the red light illuminates.

Fuel Gauge:

* Fuel Lights R, Y, G - The red, yellow, and green lights on the fuel gauge light up below these values.

* Mono Lights R, Y, G - The red, yellow, and green lights on the mono propellant gauge light up below these values.

Orbital Gauge:

* Safe Altitude - The green light illuminates from the top of the atmosphere up to this altitude above the atmosphere. For Kerbin, a value of 1.2 means the green light is on from 70,000m to 84,000m.

* Circularization Threshold - The AP and PE lights illuminate blue when they are within this percent of each other.

* Burn Window - The burn lights illuminate this many seconds before and after the associated node.

Rendezvous Gauge:

* Distance Lights R,Y,G - The red, yellow, and green lights illuminate as the target closes past the given distances.

Maneuver Node Gauge:

* Throttle Delay: Additional burn time (in seconds) due to delay in throttling up the engines to 100%. Default value is 2 seconds.

When enabled, mouse input can be done by dragging the mouse over the center area of the HUD. Window positions obviously must be locked, otherwise it will move the HUD window instead. Input can be toggled between Rocket or Plane modes affecting either Pitch/Yaw or Pitch/Roll.

Mouse Input:

• Enabling mouse input adds a minimized mode to the HUD where only a center mark is visible until mouse is pressed down on it to activate input and more elements appear. This mode is available even where full HUD is not accessible because of career limitations or being in Map mode etc, and the hud toggle button also cycles through it.

• Input is calculated from the distance between the mouse cursor and the center mark of the HUD. There is a sizeable dead zone (the center is indicated by a cross like mark) and the input curve is slightly nonlinear to enable more precision near zero.

• When SAS is active, mouse input adjusts the orientation it tries to keep instead of directly appyling input. This target orientation is made visible by an additional mark.

• Holding right Ctrl when pressing the mouse down temporarily inverts the Plane/Rocket switch until the mouse is released.

• Holding the modifier key (left Alt or right Shift depending on OS) when releasing the mouse adds the current input to trim instead of simply resetting to zero.

Toolbar Notes:

SteamGauges is now compatible with Blizzy's Toolbar. This mod and any others using this toolbar will automatically be added to a movable, resizable toolbar. It should help reduce mod clutter. Please encourage your favorite mod authors to get on board!

Source Code

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Edited by Trueborn
Version 1.7.2 release.

You can scale each gauge individually from the advanced settings window. They are all around 50% in this screen shot, and can go down to 12.5% (which is pretty much unreadable) and up to 100%, which is huge.

This, this is awesome. I'll be trying this out for sure.

Two requests, just from looking at the screenshot, if possible include an option to draw the rendezvous stack vertically and perhaps include alternate textures that are just the gauges without the mounting brackets.

You can scale each gauge individually from the advanced settings window. They are all around 50% in this screen shot, and can go down to 12.5% (which is pretty much unreadable) and up to 100%, which is huge.

Thanks, then I eagerly await it's release, I can feel some old school P-51 mustangs coming up....

This, this is awesome. I'll be trying this out for sure.

Two requests, just from looking at the screenshot, if possible include an option to draw the rendezvous stack vertically and perhaps include alternate textures that are just the gauges without the mounting brackets.

Shouldn't be to hard. I would expect them in the next release.

@Devo: Its out. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/steamgauges/

Shouldn't be to hard. I would expect them in the next release.

Thank you. I just installed this, that rendezvous stack is sexy, nice work.

I have a few more points of feedback.

- You might want to increment the scale sliders if they aren't already. Alternatively, have a "master" scale slider in addition to the individual ones. I suggest this because odd scale percentages don't, well, scale very well and having all the controls at the same scale is aesthetically pleasing.

- I'm losing controls on the configuration windows, see the screenshot below. My resolution is 1366 x 768.

- When closing the main window from the configuration button, the advanced window stays put. I'm not sure if this is expected behavior.

- Now that I've used it, I take back the request for alternate textures without the brackets. Up to you, but they look good in game right now.

This is a very polished start, sir, well done! E: Apparently it's not a start. Well, it's still awesome!

1TCjcSN.jpg

Edited by regex

Would you be able to make some kind of GUI that shows the maneuver node information (Time until node, Delta V, predicted burn time) for use in IVA view? You seem like the kind of person who would be able to.

I been using these for a week or so now (since devthread post). I tell ya, I will never look at stock resource gauge for fuel, rcs, or charge ever again.

The radar altimeter alone is worth its weight in gold, and the 'staging' lights make landing stremlined(something I suggested to the other gauge guy to no avail).

Also Trueborn is an awesome dev, he really listens to feedback and develops accordingly.

Thanks Khaos.

mushroomman: I'll see if I can come up with something that looks good. Also, I haven't looked into maneuver nodes at all, so I'm not sure how quickly I could put it together.

First, I love these gauges the way they are now!

Second, and this may sound strange, but you could you add a slider in the configuration to make them less precise? After all, these are made by Kerbals, and in my opinion they should, from time to time, act a bit strange. tuff like random changes on the displayed altimeter or speed or something like this.

@tabu_niw: I had considered something like that, but for now I think I've decided to just leave it as is. In general I think they're imprecise enough not to warrant any additional noise, but if there are more requests for that I might consider it.

Second, there is a new beta release out here that covers a couple of the last requests.

These instruments are fantastic!

I have a few suggestions, though. I find myself still leaving the FAR info window open to read mach number and stall warning. Is there any way to get a machmeter? And a stall warning could be as simple as one light... green for normal flight, yellow for mild stall, red for major stall. Or ideally, I'd like an audible stall warning horn if that's at all possible.

Also, would it be possible to get the orbital instrument to display time to apoapsis and time to periapsis simultaneously?

These instruments are fantastic!

I have a few suggestions, though. I find myself still leaving the FAR info window open to read mach number and stall warning. Is there any way to get a machmeter? And a stall warning could be as simple as one light... green for normal flight, yellow for mild stall, red for major stall. Or ideally, I'd like an audible stall warning horn if that's at all possible.

Also, would it be possible to get the orbital instrument to display time to apoapsis and time to periapsis simultaneously?

How much of that information is FAR specific (I don't use it). I mean, I know I could crunch out a mach number pretty easily, and Angle of Attack isn't even too hard, but I don't know when FAR would consider you stalled.

The burn lights were my first attempt at rough time to AP and PE information. I am currently working on an orbital node gauge that will display time until a burn, burn time, delta V, etc. I'm hoping that would cover most people's needs. The orbital gauge is a bit full for two more time readouts.