[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

Actually, its based off of my personal favorite HUD, the C-17's. I don't know why its backwards, but since its the one I actually fly around with, I'm unlikely to change it any time soon.

DSC01028.jpg

I stand corrected! Looks like it was a feature unique to mcdonnell douglas aircraft (as it looks like the old f15s hud had the same display convention). Thanks for the pointing out your reference.

Bug on the electric gauge,

when it's charging (i.e. negative in the resource window)

the draw shows it as positive

draw needle never goes into negative, only positive whether your using electric or charging it.

*edit*

i have seen the Draw go negative briefly, normally when getting a big charging boost off the launch engines.

Is it averaging the electric value somehow?

if i transmit science experiments, draining the battery completely, it'll go crazy on the draw as you'd expect,

when it's done transmitting and recharging off solar, the draw stays in the + side, rather than the negative side when it's recharging.

Edited by warmadmax

• 4 weeks later...

warmadmax, I believe it should be working better in this new beta version. I'm not really happy with the way electrical draw is working, right now I'm having to just compare it to the previous value from 0.2 seconds ago because I can't seem to find the actual value that a part is either producing or using.

There is a new beta version available! Version 1.3 Beta 3 includes several tweaks and bug fixes, and one new feature.

- Scrolling digits should now scroll better

- The vertical descent mode works, and orients correctly to compass headings

- Mouse Input mode has a new icon to help identify the dead zone before input is accepted

- The HUD now displays a warning when electrical charge, total fuel, or monopropellant falls below 5% remaining. Remember to deploy your solar panels, kids.

This should be a fairly stable release, and assuming no major bugs are reported will probably get released as version 1.3. Currently my only plan for 1.4 is to double the width of the pitch ladder (should make finding nodes and vectors easier), unless I can come up with some useful air intake/engine readout stuff.

Download link: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=131B3D0DB2B5645E!118

Warmadmax, I found the bug you reported. I was camping -30 to +30, which is why large draws looked like charges. I've fixed that, and I'm also reworking the gauge scaling so it will be easier to tell what the draw/charge is at lower values. Expect a beta 4 release later today.

Most mods that aren't compatible with a new version won't corrupt your game, they just won't work. That being said, beta 4 is fully compatible with 0.22. All gauges are available from the beginning in campaign mode (as there are no parts to research) except the HUD, which requires Electronics before it will show up.

Beta Thread

New release! Steamgauges version 1.3 is now available for download from Kerbal SpacePort!

Stable release with several HUD updates and various bug fixes.

The HUD now displays current Mach number in atmosphere.

The HUD will now display a warning when total fuel, monopropellant, or electrical charge is below 10% of max value.

The HUD will now display a warning when intake air is running low. Depending on how many intakes you have, this should give you a few seconds of warning to descend or throttle back to prevent a flameout.

The HUD will now display a warning when an engine is over 85% of its maximum temperature.

The Electric Gauge now correctly reports large draws, instead of showing a charge. The gauge has also been re-scaled to show small draws or charges better.

Mouse input is now available through the HUD. Just click into the center of the HUD to fine tune your vessel's trajectory.

The HUD will not display in career mode until "Electronics" is researched. All other gauges are available at the beginning.

The HUD throttle gauge only appears when the throttle is above 0%.

And many more!

SpacePort download

See the first post in this thread for an alternate download link, and the source code.

The HUD will not display in career mode until "Electronics" is researched. All other gauges are available at the beginning.

I feel myself an idiot. One full day lost trying to find why my HUD wasn't showing anymore...and the answer is just before my eyes...

Its not very obvious in the mod itself, since there isn't a part missing or anything. If people think that's too late in the tech tree I'll change it.

No, actually your choice makes sense. I would have done the same. Analog instruments readily available at start (comparable with 1960 technology on Earth), digital instruments later, then HUD-related technology.

However, I went to check here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display) and was shocked myself to read that the first HUD was used in 1958.

And yes, if it was a part to be researched along the tree, it would have been more evident.

Since it wasn't mentioned in the release announcement, here is how mouse input actually works. The feature was inspired by the Mouse Drive mod (and the fact that SAS doesn't work too well with FAR, so you want some kind of precise analog input for things like landing); however there are large differences in the interface. The general points are:

• In order to enable mouse input it is necessary to activate the relevant option, and lock window positions so that dragging the mouse won't move the HUD window instead. In the options you can also switch whether the input would affect Pitch+Roll (airplane) or Pitch+Yaw (rocket mode).
  • The general metaphor is that you grab the "--W--" thing in the center with the mouse and drag it in the direction where you want it to go. The actual sensitive area where the drag can start is significantly larger, but the current input value is always calculated from the relative position of the cursor to the center indicator. Since KSP interface is based on clicking and right-clicking buttons and things on the screen, I thought that the press and drag mode of operation is less confusing than the stateful toggle mode Mouse Drive is using. It also means that there is no need to suddenly disable input when the mouse leaves the 'proper' area; it can just be clamped to 100%.
  • The feature is aimed at smooth high-precision input, so there is a large dead zone, and sensitivity is nonlinear, with significantly more precision near zero. When mouse input activates, a mark appears to show how the horizontal and vertical dead zone stripes meet in the center.
  • If you hold right Ctrl when pressing the mouse down, the Pitch+Yaw vs Pitch+Roll choice is temporarily reversed until you release the mouse. If you hold the modifier key (Left Alt or right Shift depending on os) as you release the mouse, the input is added to trim instead of simply being reset to zero. This trim feature allows easily releasing active control after guiding the plane into a stable mode.
  • Since SAS only reacts to actual user input as implemented by stock, and othewise suppresses any control input from plugin hooks, when it is active the mouse input switches to a different mode where it directly controls the orientation SAS tries to hold. A mark showing the current value of that orientation appears, and moving the mouse adjusts it on a rate of turn basis.
  • When mouse input is enabled, a minimized form of HUD appears on all screens where HUD is not normally shown like map mode. In the passive state it consists only of the mouse input dead-zone crosshair, and pressing the mouse down directly over it activates mouse input and shows the pitch ladder and vectors. Setting HUD alpha to zero using the slider forces this minimized mode everywhere. The minimized mode HUD is always locked and cannot be moved.

Also, as another aid for landing at a specific spot, when you target a landed object, like for instance a flag you planted at the runway, the targeting data displayed by HUD is now computed differently based on surface speed, latitude, longitude and heading data (these are always valid for landed objects, unlike orbits which often don't make any sense). Relative inclination is actually difference in current and target heading, and closest approach is sea-level distance ignoring altitude of both objects.

The HUD can be toggled by the button in the Steamgauges main window. Just click on the icon (probably started in the upper left corner of your screen), and click the button. There are not currently any keyboard shortcuts.

This is one of my favorite mods - outstanding! Love the changes in the most recent released build!

I may have found a bug with the latest release. Am running KSP 0.22 on OSX, and if the Orbital gauge is visible, Kerbonauts are unable to EVA or IVA (the buttons on the Kerbal portraits will be un-clickable) - except if the pod holds 3, then the leftmost Kerbal *can* be EVA'd or IVA'd. It only happens when the Orbital gauge is visible - hide the gauge and EVA/IVA works normally. Hopefully, that's a quick fix (and hopefully easy to confirm) - I live with the Orbital gauge open all the time. :-)

My first guess would be that your gauges are close enough that they are actually covering the buttons, even though they aren't drawing over them. Turn on your large bezels and see if that covers the buttons. Otherwise, I'm afraid I haven't seen the same thing in Win8. Any other OSX users out there who could check this out?

Also, I have uploaded version 1.3.1 to the spaceport, which removes the spam from the electrical gauge.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/steamgauges/

They're at least 1/2 inch above the character portraits. Also, when I move any other gauge to the exact same location and make the Orbital gauge hidden, the buttons are able to be clicked just fine. Moving the Orbital gauge to other locations on the screen does not resolve the issue. It'll be interesting to see if other OSX users are seeing same. It's easy enough to work around when I want to EVA by hiding the gauge - just annoying. I made sure to remove any and all other mods - seems to have no impact.

New release, version 1.3.2!

The latest version of SteamGauges is now compatible with Blizzy's Toolbar!

This and any other mods using the toolbar will automatically have their buttons appear in a movable, resizable toolbar. Actual mod function hasn't changed, but if you have any other mods that use Toolbar, you should have a cleaner looking interface. Downloads on Spaceport or the alternate location in the first post.

Future Additions:

I'm currently working on a time to impact counter and suicide burn marker for the radar altimeter. The counter will be a clock at the bottom of the RA that counts down seconds until impact if your vessel is descending over an airless body. The suicide burn marker will be a second needle on the gauge. Taking into account available max thrust and local gravity, it finds the altitude at which you will need to start full burn in order to reach a vertical speed of 0 at ground level. Expect a beta release in the next couple of days.