[1.0.4] SteamGauges V1.7.2 - 27 July '15

Trueborn

What I was trying to do was give more accuracy at low altitudes (like a logarithmic scale), except I really don't like log scales. They're great for orders of magnitude, but aren't super good for interpolating values. But yeah, it kind of ended up doing the opposite of what I wanted. If I do re-work it, I will probably use a larger portion of the gauge for the last 100 or 500 so that the needle slows down instead of speeding up at the end. After all, you don't usually care if your 2,534 meters or 2,562 meters, just around 2,500 is good enough. But 34 and 62 could be a big difference.

And for those looking for airspeed and such, here's a preview of what I'm working on. The Mach scale is utterly unreadable right now, and imagine a needle in the air intake area, but its coming along. Also, the HUD can now read in TAS or CAS.

RBN6oiY.png

KOS is another mod (Kerbal Operating System) that was originally developed as a scriptable autopilot, but has since added a lot of stuff that would allow you to grab game info, do math, and display it.

I'll look at the terminal velocity calculations from engineer or something. Maybe I can build a second pointer that would do terminal velocity (like the Vne needle on some airspeed indicators) for the air gauge and HUD.

Also, there is a new beta release of SteamGauges with the Air Guage and toolbar 1.2.2

SteamGauges beta thread.

Edited by Trueborn
Added link to beta thread.

I'm wondering if there is a way to set it so the hud's orbital information shows at a lower altitude than 20k. This would be very handy for other bodies such as the mun or minimus. PM me if anyone has an answer, and thank you. :)

It's currently hard coded. I'll look at something more variable though. Maybe, x% of atmosphere height, or above my "safe" altitude (green light on orbital gauge) for airless worlds. In the mean time, the orbital gauge always displays Ap, Pe, inclination, and time 'til next 'apsis.

Please split the gauges into individual zips within your main archive that use a common root folder and dll. Give each gauge its own icon for the common toolbar to turn it on/off. Many of us use just one gauge at a time or one gauge ever like the HUD or the analog altimeter.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a whole lot of utility for splitting all the gauges. The total size of the plugin is only 15mb, which I hope isn't the straw that's breaking your computer's back.

I will look at making the plugin resilient to missing textures, so you could delete the texture file to disable the gauge.

I thought about making each gauge have it's own toolbar button, but I thought that might get cluttered for people who do use more than one or two gauges at a time. I will also look into making that an option though, so users can select the classic single button style or 9(?) buttons for individual gauges and settings window. If there is a lot of demand for that I can make it a priority. Anyone else?

Well i still havent thanked you for terminal velocity indicator... its extremly usefull.

How about something showing delta v or TWR of ship?

Bassicly something that woudl replace VESSEL part of engineer redux.

Well, the terminal velocity indicator is still in beta, so don't worry about it :cool:

I already effectively calculate TWR for a couple of things, and current ISP as well. At the current point in time I don't want to go to the full length of simulation that engineer or mechjeb do in order to get their stage delta V's. I'm also not quite sure where I would put it (the HUD might still have room). That being said, I would like to get just the current stage's fuel for the fuel gauge. If I do that, I could easily determine the dV remaining in the current stage. When I get that worked out, maybe I'll put a fuel/dV section into the HUD. But first I've got some recommendations from a.g. to integrate, and want to make sure the plugin can elegantly handle missing textures. At some point I need to call this feature complete. I do have other plans...

s. I'm also not quite sure where I would put it (the HUD might still have room)

Vessel gauge showing current stage delta V, full delta V and current TWR woudl be good. Maybe integrate it with fuel gauge? It woudl require changing its layout thought.

But please dont limit displaying delta V only to HUD. (i dont really use it on orbit).

At the current point in time I don't want to go to the full length of simulation that engineer or mechjeb do in order to get their stage delta V's.

Is it possible to just get these values directly from these mods (so steamgauges woudl require to have redux or mechjeb installed), without need to calculating it at all?

By the way, how can i turn off toggling HUD using h key? It is annoying during rcs maneuvers.

Edited by kiwiak

I'm planning on making the keyboard command mapable in-game, but for now, you can go into the config file and change it to some key you aren't using for anything else.

It might be possible (can't remember how much of those are public vs private), but I would prefer to limit my dependencies. I might do an optional dependency for engineer, but that won't be first on my priority list.

All 9 buttons don't have to be in the toolbar. You can select only the buttons you want in it like was done with the mechjeb modules (see "Optional MechJeb Modules"). Depending upon what I'm flying, I have three or four different buttons in the toolbar.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble with these...

I don't have the rendezvous, radar alt or manuever node gauges.... they are just not anywhere on the screen whether selected in the menu or not. I've tried re-installing but still not there. Is this a known bug? All the other gauges work fine.

EDIT - Nevermind, just discovered they only appear at certain times. Is there any way to switch this function off so they are always on? I have a custom dashboard screen set up and it looks bad when dials disappear.

Edited by Mulbin

I am curious as to what part of the tech tree unlocks the HUD, the save i have where science is neglegable its open, and as i'm about halfway through the science tree in career mode, i dont seem to have it. if anything is there a way to have them all unlocked as default?

I'm having some trouble with these...

I don't have the rendezvous, radar alt or manuever node gauges.... they are just not anywhere on the screen whether selected in the menu or not. I've tried re-installing but still not there. Is this a known bug? All the other gauges work fine.

EDIT - Nevermind, just discovered they only appear at certain times. Is there any way to switch this function off so they are always on? I have a custom dashboard screen set up and it looks bad when dials disappear.

I should be able to have that in the next release.

I am curious as to what part of the tech tree unlocks the HUD, the save i have where science is neglegable its open, and as i'm about halfway through the science tree in career mode, i dont seem to have it. if anything is there a way to have them all unlocked as default?

Electronics is the name, I believe. Unfortunately, since there isn't a part to unlock it doesn't show up in the tree. I'll think about a way to notify the user if they try to turn it on before its unlocked.

I plan on leaving it as-is, for now, because all the HUD functionality is in the analog gauges.

Electronics is the name, I believe. Unfortunately, since there isn't a part to unlock it doesn't show up in the tree. I'll think about a way to notify the user if they try to turn it on before its unlocked.

I plan on leaving it as-is, for now, because all the HUD functionality is in the analog gauges.

it may be Advanced Electrics for the HUD i'm referring too (the fighter pilot one) and may i may a suggestion to have it moved maybe to Supersonic-flight or Advanced Aerodynamics node? since the HUD seems more fit to planes, maybe its unlocked because of being able to hit supersonic speeds in atmosphere with an airplane. i personally like the fighter HUD mixed with the fuel gauge and electric gauge so i can fly in IVA with a more accurate and realistic feeling HUD and gauge display.

Yeah, that's the one (wasn't at my computer before). I'll think about changing it. Mostly I was just trying to use the tech tree for something. The aerodynamics nodes may be a better place for it though. And believe it or not, the HUD is actually based off of a cargo plane's.

Yeah, that's the one (wasn't at my computer before). I'll think about changing it. Mostly I was just trying to use the tech tree for something. The aerodynamics nodes may be a better place for it though. And believe it or not, the HUD is actually based off of a cargo plane's.

that's pretty awesome, i wasn't sure what plane exactly it came from i just knew its kind of like fighter pilots :D minus the weapons and other fighter pilot info.

Pull up the Alt-F2 console and look for some kind of error message (probably being spammed). Its looks like it happens somewhere in the time to next node calculations. Also, if you can let me know if there were any special circumstances going on at the time, it will help me track down the bug.