Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

That'd be 5ft across which would be too small, even by Kerbal standards I would think.

I think a better number would be 2.5m (2.2 usable), (roughly 8 ft). That not only gives you enough space for the bulk of parts available, but isn't as big as the NASA/Buran cargo bays. Should be small enough to remain "mini". What do you guys think?

I just realized, that's what it measures currently, 8ft. across...

I really hope that when you do the texturing, you keep to a simple palette. Thanks for your hard work and fantastic job creating a compact design.

Keep track of my updates and let me know if you think something is too busy. I'm not going for a realistic look, but something similar to the B9 parts and the stock KSP parts. I'm not really going to do the whole weathering thing and if I do it'll be minimal. When I get to the tiles, I'm thinking of not making them so defined.

Edited by helldiver

Wow, looks fantastic.

Re. poly count, 6600 sounds completely fine from my brief fiddling and looking at other models that work well. You'll want to keep the poly count on the colliders much lower, though (notice how the B9 stuff has straight lines and polygonal shapes where possible when there is an internal cargo bay).

The RCS stuff requires setting up some empty transforms where you want the thrust, IIRC, but is quite doable.

Re. Making it fly, I'd just make the model (I think the origin of your model will be at the CoM/CoL, again not sure) then use the masses as a degree of freedom to get it airworthy (move mass from one part to another until CoM is right on top of CoL with a full fuel tank and a small payload, then it should be almost stable when full and you'll just be able to keep the nose up when empty).

One thing to note is the body won't produce lift correctly, so you may have to do something like make the wings fit in under the body further.

One thing to note is the body won't produce lift correctly, so you may have to do something like make the wings fit in under the body further.

That's not possible at this point, not without redoing the entire project (approximately 1-2 weeks); sadly I no longer have that much time. The wing-to-fuselage join is very complicated and any movement of that area would require that I re-engineer everything. That would then fudge tangents, which would mean redoing the hi-res model to re-bake the normal map. Which means reorganizing the UV layout which is already very cramped. It would just be too much work, if I'm forced to, then I'll just weld the entire fuselage as one piece with the nose-cone and avionics separate, wings separate, rudder, etc.

However, the Klipper follows a similar design, and it has smaller wings larger body than the Kerbin orbiter. I was planning on using a similar flight profile as that model.

[Edit] Unless you mean making the Collision mesh of the wings larger and go under the body, as some form of "ghost" lift surface?

Edited by helldiver

That'd be 5ft across which would be too small, even by Kerbal standards I would think.

I think a better number would be 2.5m (2.2 usable), (roughly 8 ft). That not only gives you enough space for the bulk of parts available, but isn't as big as the NASA/Buran cargo bays. Should be small enough to remain "mini". What do you guys think?

I just realized, that's what it measures currently, 8ft. across...

Keep track of my updates and let me know if you think something is too busy. I'm not going for a realistic look, but something similar to the B9 parts and the stock KSP parts. I'm not really going to do the whole weathering thing and if I do it'll be minimal. When I get to the tiles, I'm thinking of not making them so defined.

Hey Helldiver,

I think a 2-2.5 meter shuttle would be fantastic. That should be a favorable size for everyone. I just saw your update on the textures. They look absolutely fantastic and I must say, I do like the green interior of the cargo bay, even if it is temporary. Keep us all updated as you progress. This thing is gunna be hella fun to fly.

Also you may want to look at this mod if you need ideas for the internal cockpit layout:

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mk3-cockpit-internals/

- Joe

Quick update as I move to the exterior, texturing is about 75% done. Still have to do the docking module, but that shouldn't take long. I also have to do the collision meshes, but not quite sure how they are done. Do they follow the contour of the visual object? Or can they just be a box? I'm confused by them.

Anyhow, I did quite a few designs of the bulkheads until I got something I was happy with. The first couple I did were too sci-fi and didn't feel like something which we'd more or less use realistically. Then I recalled the FIB's used all over stuff and was surprised that the stock KSP parts didn't use FIB all over. So I decided to go with a pseudo thermal blanket design. I really liked the result since it invokes that feeling of something we'd see up in space now days.

-This was like the third design I did, I didn't like it, it was too science fiction looking. I deleted the other versions as I changed things around.

k8gmb5N.jpg

-The final design I settled on

x2I9ZQ0.jpg

-Cargo bay close up

FBRuo4L.jpg

bQSnaAh.jpg

collision mesh: you can either use one of the models you brought into unity and add a mesh collider component to it or you can use one of the other collider components like a box collider. You will also need to toggle the convex option on. check your pm helldiver

I'm very much so enjoying the texture work you've done on the cargo bay. The parts look like they'll fit in with the stock parts rather well. Also, how will you be handling RCS ports on this shuttle?

Warm Regards,

Joe

Semi-final texturing of the Orbiter portion. I turned up the specular multiplier just for the shots. It probably won't be as shiny in game.

hrZvIlx.jpg

u3PeQV7.jpg

Note: The V-tail, rudder planes look larger than they really are, but it's mostly do to the isometric effect of the perspective viewport. You'll get a single rudder you can place however you want.

2AhTYTL.jpg

8TIIKIf.jpg

xGvzPB3.jpg

xcBJLEC.jpg

3y0u3fK.jpg

k8Qq7Ck.jpg

RCS Locations, is that enough? Let me know if you guys need more. I'm not really sure how RCS works in game. Does a single nozzle rotate or do you need a nozzle in every degree of movement and so on. I'll be tackling that this week.

gFsgD1U.jpg

The business end:

zMBo3dJ.jpg

-The red dots are the vertices where you can attach engines. Back when I first put the model together, I was assuming a single or triple engine configuration either like the real shuttles or like the mini-shuttle screenshot in my first post. After playing around with KSP, either of those configurations may or may not work. Which means I may have to build an engine adapter so you can attach 4 OMS engines plus 1 centerline main engine, or three. I really don't want to build OMS pods like the real shuttle have because it would ruin the simple look of the Kerbin.

-2 Orbital maneuvering engines like the space shuttle has, doesn't work for me in KSP without the vehicle going into a spin. Which means that I need to have four?

-Sadly, because I decided to optimize texture UV usage (mirroring UV space), I wasn't able to put decals on the side without them looking strange on the opposite side. I can place a flag object on the wings and on the aft bulkhead of the cargo bay, kind of like the real shuttle has. Thing is having, a floating object like that doesn't look too good without it having a clipping appearance.

Shot with livery. The only part I could make work is the name of the shuttle, since there's enough space in the UV to make a spot for the left side of that area. The KSP logo wouldn't be possible.

zIanShb.jpg

Edited by helldiver

Looking good, are you planning on making an optional docking port?

Earlier in the thread you see shots of the optional docking module that will be included. However, it cuts your cargo space down by about 2 meters.

What size are the cargo bays? That is, what size cargo do you intend for them to carry?

I decided on 2.5m (2.2 usable) in width, and about 5.5m in length. That gives you enough space for most of the stock KSP parts, as well as most standard less than 2.5m parts you can download.

Edited by helldiver

This is looking really good, I prefer the over all look to B9's stuff actually, your design actually suits KSP, his looks more at home on EVE online for my personal taste.

RCS Locations, is that enough? Let me know if you guys need more. I'm not really sure how RCS works in game. Does a single nozzle rotate or do you need a nozzle in every degree of movement and so on. I'll be tackling that this week.

You are indeed going to need a couple more RCS ports(?) I think only enough to give the back end some upwards thrust, otherwise I can't see how you'll translate vertically

You are indeed going to need a couple more RCS ports(?) I think only enough to give the back end some upwards thrust, otherwise I can't see how you'll translate vertically

Alright, so a set of nozzles underneath the shuttle should be good? I was going to put one there but wanted to post first to get some feedback.

Again, testing will probably change everything but I really want to stay away from putting in OMS pods like the real shuttle has.