Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

I'm afraid I missed all discussion about including a robotic arm, but if it is going to be worked on, I suggest utilizing the Kerbal Attachment System mod as the method of attaching to other objects. I'm not sure how it does what it does but at the end of the cables you can attach 3 different "hook" pieces: a regular hook that only attaches to specially designed receptacles, an electromagnet that holds onto any surface securely as long as it's consuming power, and a grappling hook that causes minor damage to the surface it's attached to and only attaches if it collides with sufficient force. I suggest using the first one on the end of the arm, with the option of attaching the electromagnet if it's needed.

I'm afraid I missed all discussion about including a robotic arm, but if it is going to be worked on, I suggest utilizing the Kerbal Attachment System mod as the method of attaching to other objects. I'm not sure how it does what it does but at the end of the cables you can attach 3 different "hook" pieces: a regular hook that only attaches to specially designed receptacles, an electromagnet that holds onto any surface securely as long as it's consuming power, and a grappling hook that causes minor damage to the surface it's attached to and only attaches if it collides with sufficient force. I suggest using the first one on the end of the arm, with the option of attaching the electromagnet if it's needed.

Another in agreement, but I'd be satisfied if we can mount the KAS somewhere inside the cargo bay. The robotic arm sounds great, but the Mini Shuttle has plenty going for it from what I've seen even without it.

Wow, gone for 3 days and this is the beauty I come back to, wow guys, great job on that stack. Just wondering, could you give us a few updates when you move on to a step in testing? Also could you give us som TWR and ISP specs for the stack?

I was curious how progress is with the cargo bay arm. I know helldiver was saying that he wanted a simple arm coming up from the bottom of the bay to grip and release items. Will that be in the first edition, or in later releases?

Was playing with the Lionhead DSL Pandora arm earlier. I really like how this looks and works. Seems like it might be a good fit for the KSO. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/12106-0-21-x-Lionhead-Aerospace-Inc-Thor-probe-updated-%21%21%21

I'm not really sure what you're asking so I'll try and answer as best I can.

-The robotic arm I'm making is a future addition. Right now I've stopped until we've got the KSO working in game.

-The arm isn't really anything fancy. Its purpose is to push out cargo you have in the bay, that's it. You can grab things with it and pull them back into the bay. I don't know at this point if you'll be able to rotate it, so it'll pretty much just be like a jack. This would allow you to put things in orbit far enough away from the KSO so that it doesn't collide with the rudders or with the cargo bay. Basically it's a safe way to release the cargo without you having to RCS the cargo out of the bay; reducing the chance to collide with the cargo bay tub and blowing the whole thing up.

-We're using way too many of other people's mods as it is. So for the KAS mod, you'll have to download it (or already have it installed) and attach the part yourself like you would any other part mod. The KSO won't have any parts that inherently use the mod.

-In the super future, based on demand I could put together a parts kit for the KAS authors so that we could have a KAS that fits the KSO in a small package, again it's a future thing.

Was playing with the Lionhead DSL Pandora arm earlier. I really like how this looks and works. Seems like it might be a good fit for the KSO.

Interesting how he has an Imperial cruiser. I own over 22,000 points of Imperial Navy, 18K of it fully detailed and painted.

Edited by helldiver

Why do we even need a pushy arm? The way to do it is to just decouple the payload while it is in the bay and then translate the shuttle down and away from the payload!

I always did that in KSP and Orbiter 2010!

Why do we even need a pushy arm? The way to do it is to just decouple the payload while it is in the bay and then translate the shuttle down and away from the payload!

I always did that in KSP and Orbiter 2010!

have to agree with him on that one, arms never seem to work right for me.

-The EFT and LRBs are designed to be large and imposing. They aren't mini, I don't want them to be. This should give you plenty of power and fuel for other orbiters such as B9 kits or if you make your own.

-If possible I may install a nozzle into the LRB, making it an engine+LRB all in one with gimbal capability (but not vector). Will wait for feedback from ZRM if that is possible or if we should

You said LRB, does that mean the boosters are liquid fueled?

Yup!

Also, you can quote a message by clicking "reply with quote" at the bottom of the message. :P

I know, i accidentally deleted the part that made it a quote. Also, dang it, I was hoping for solid fuel boosters, I guess when I get the mod, I can change the configs, but it wouldn't be the same.

You only get 1 rudder actually, but in the VAB you can place as many rudders as you wish. There's attach nodes for a v configuration or if you want to put it on top of the fuselage end.

Same for the LRB, you only get 1 and you just copy it or place another in the VAB, heck you can place 8 of them if you want.

Everyday this isn't released I die a little more on the inside.

This thing is awesome. I absolutely cannot wait. This shuttle has a date with a hands off orbit injection courtesy of kOS programmable flight computer. Great work.

You have a choice of 1 or 2 rudders.

Or three.

Everyday this isn't released I die a little more on the inside.

This thing is awesome. I absolutely cannot wait. This shuttle has a date with a hands off orbit injection courtesy of kOS programmable flight computer. Great work.

No, I need you alive for playtesting!

Now that my summer trip to Spain is over (as of an hour ago) I can now focus completely on this project. If all goes well public(ish) testing should commence in at most a week's time. It is pretty much the IVA that is left to do. Sorry for the wait so far.

/offtopic: Can't wait to land the Shuttle at Kerbin City International Airport, by the way. I hope the runway is long enough.

Will you need an ILS as well as a VOR beacon antenna to install at the airfield?

The ILS transmitter goes near the runway, the VOR goes anywhere at the airfield. Your MFD ILS/VOR navigation mode pics up their signal and that's how you fly to it.

Or do we want to do that later?

Let me know and I'll put them together really quickly. I can make them small enough so you could use one of the many truck/rover mods to deploy it.

ILS station

250px-EDDV-ILS_09R_Glideslope.jpg

VOR station

220px-VOR_DME_BUB.JPG

[Edit]Although instead of VOR we should instead us TACAN which is what I believe the space shuttle uses. The antenna is much smaller and modular and can be deployed via truck.

400px-TACAN_Antenna.jpg

Edited by helldiver

Will you need an ILS as well as a VOR beacon antenna to install at the airfield?

The ILS transmitter goes near the runway, the VOR goes anywhere at the airfield. Your MFD ILS/VOR navigation mode pics up their signal and that's how you fly to it.

Or do we want to do that later?

Let me know and I'll put them together really quickly. I can make them small enough so you could use one of the many truck/rover mods to deploy it.

ILS station

250px-EDDV-ILS_09R_Glideslope.jpg

VOR station

220px-VOR_DME_BUB.JPG

You can make the models if you want, but I don't think ILS/VOR would make it to the first release. Also, you would not deploy it at all - it would be added to the game as a static object using KerbTown - so don't design it with deployment/transportation in mind. However you could make a deployable version as well if you want, which would make sense for use with landing strips created via gameplay, e.g. on Duna.

Is private testing up yet? How high is the maximum operational altitude with non-refueling?

As I have said previously, all stats are up in the air. Once everything is functional we will worry about tuning the engines, fuel tanks, aerodynamics etc. I am working right now on the cockpit interior.

As I have said previously, all stats are up in the air. Once everything is functional we will worry about tuning the engines, fuel tanks, aerodynamics etc. I am working right now on the cockpit interior.

Alright, can't wait for the shuttle to be out! :)