Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

Also does anyone know whether or not this will work with FAR because I remember with the CSS it just wanted to flip and spin everywhere.

Depending on how well the KSO flies with stock aerodynamics I may or may not have to implement a custom tailored aerodynamics model to get the right behaviour. We want this shuttle to fly well, not like a lead weighted steel cage of death or a piece of paper. Most importantly it needs to be able to deorbit and land reliably for inexperienced players, otherwise it is not much of a shuttle. If I do implement a custom aerodynamics model I will be sure to maintain FAR compatibility.

Edit: And by "fly well", I mean like a simplified Space Shuttle or Buran, not like a normal aeroplane.

Edited by ZRM

General work in progress update

-Work continues on the technical side, and we're definitely seeing the end of the first phase tunnel.

-We've had a few hitches and delays mostly related to the cockpit IVA scale meeting the Kerbals. It seems despite my calculations, I didn't really think they were really just over two feet tall. In other words the Kerbals are much smaller than I originally anticipated.

No offense to Squad, but that's a really difficult character scale to work with, specially the when you take into account the gnomish leg and arm proportions.

ZRM has done a more than outstanding job on this project. He's been really patient with all my nit picking. The best part is that we should soon have the scale issue nailed down. It involves doing some minor adjustments to the seats.

To be honest, I think it may be best if we collapse the lift vehicle into the first phase. I know this may delay the actual shuttle out, but it would give you guys a proper configuration that ZRM can tune. That way we don't have to go back and make more changes when we find the lift vehicle has weight/mass/attach point problems.

We'll have some in-game screenshots hopefully by tonight if not tomorrow.

ZRM has sent me several internal shots, but given this threads' propensity to skip on the info I put in, we'll have people wondering why the MFD's don't look right or something (even after we explain that it is a wip). So once we get all that cleaned up, I'll ask him to post up some shots of the in-game work so far.

[edit] In case you're wondering, we're up to version 16 of the shuttle thus far, meaning there's been 16 iterations of the artwork so far :D

Edited by helldiver

Depending on how well the KSO flies with stock aerodynamics I may or may not have to implement a custom tailored aerodynamics model to get the right behaviour. We want this shuttle to fly well, not like a lead weighted steel cage of death or a piece of paper. Most importantly it needs to be able to deorbit and land reliably for inexperienced players, otherwise it is not much of a shuttle. If I do implement a custom aerodynamics model I will be sure to maintain FAR compatibility.

Edit: And by "fly well", I mean like a simplified Space Shuttle or Buran, not like a normal aeroplane.

Yeah that's understandable, can't wait until it's up for download you and helldiver have done an amazing job on this.

The only ETA given is this posted by ZRM last Teusday:

Now that my summer trip to Spain is over (as of an hour ago) I can now focus completely on this project. If all goes well public(ish) testing should commence in at most a week's time. It is pretty much the IVA that is left to do. Sorry for the wait so far.

kDmowEc.jpg

No, this isn't a photo. This is what you get if you zoom in on the PFD in the cockpit. It's a special shader I've made to emulate the appearance of an LCD. I could easily change it to look more like a CRT if necessary. Don't worry, the performance impact is minimal.