Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

Just seen your bug report on wheels rotating at the wrong rate ZRM. That's pretty much why I made my own plugin outright for wheels in the end rather than augumenting the ModuleLandingGear, aside from the weird bouncing issues it has a few meters down the runway. If you're making giant non-uniform textured wheels like I was, it looks really dumb. (whereas the fairly uniform stock gear wheels its pretty hard to notice)

Just seen your bug report on wheels rotating at the wrong rate ZRM. That's pretty much why I made my own plugin outright for wheels in the end rather than augumenting the ModuleLandingGear, aside from the weird bouncing issues it has a few meters down the runway. If you're making giant non-uniform textured wheels like I was, it looks really dumb. (whereas the fairly uniform stock gear wheels its pretty hard to notice)

Some of the bugs I have found in KSP during the development of this project are really infuriatingly simple mistakes on behalf of the developers. I won't rant about them here, though.

Also, speaking of augmenting ModuleLandingGear, I think I may have a solution for the rotation problem - give ModuleLandingGear a dummy transform for its wheel, and update the actual wheel's rotation yourself, using a lightweight part module added at load time using a technique similar to the way Module Manager works. I have used a similar technique with success in KCA to augment ReactionWheel, ModuleEngines and ModuleGimbal, and entirely replace ModuleRCS.

Also, do you have any idea what causes the glitchy bouncing problem?

You're crazy ZRM and helldiver. Just crazy.

I'll take that as a compliment. :D

ZRM you hurt my eyes just looking at the mfd

Hah, I might need to post a slightly modified disclaimer before the mod is released.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF EYESIGHT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES TO EYES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT, BLINDING LIGHT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Edited by ZRM

Just a quick update:

-ZRM is rounding out most of the larger parts of the project so that's getting knocked out.

-Right now we've kind of slowed down a bit resolving some MFD related workflow issues on my end. It's a matter of coming to an agreement on certain resources and how they'll display as well as what ZRM's software can handle or work with.

-The Squad, in-game Navball could not be used. I'll be assembling a new one from scratch using their Navball as a guide.

Unfortunately, in order to provide a proper functioning MFD as well as Navball, we'll be delayed. Once the workflow issues are resolved, I'd be out of the gate and can complete that portion in just a few days. Keep in mind guys that if ZRM needs an asset from me, he can't do much but wait until that asset is completed. The goes same goes for me, I can't continue until he gets back to me if a feature is working or not.

This is interesting. May I ask why?

It's because the stock navball prop includes an annoying holder for the navball, and there is no way of embedding the prop into the instrument panel without that holder protruding.

May I suggest that the new navball be black/white? It might look a bit better that the stock navball, which would stand out.

If it keeps in line with the rest of the instrument panel it will also be self-illuminating.

Some of the bugs I have found in KSP during the development of this project are really infuriatingly simple mistakes on behalf of the developers. I won't rant about them here, though.

Also, speaking of augmenting ModuleLandingGear, I think I may have a solution for the rotation problem - give ModuleLandingGear a dummy transform for its wheel, and update the actual wheel's rotation yourself, using a lightweight part module added at load time using a technique similar to the way Module Manager works. I have used a similar technique with success in KCA to augment ReactionWheel, ModuleEngines and ModuleGimbal, and entirely replace ModuleRCS.

Also, do you have any idea what causes the glitchy bouncing problem?

Yeah I won't blame you for replacing ModuleRCS. I've considered it before. Some very simple changes on their end to make it behave like engines on the resource usage would be brilliant, but unlikely to happen in the near future.

Rather than going as far as a dummy transform I'd just rotating the Transform "Wheel" by the ammount you think is missing on the axis. Pull appart multiwheels source if you like for a look at that, but I'd say that's a much better solution less likely to break things.

The bouncyness I believe is down to the ModuleLandingGear's graphical behavior being driven off of a physics raycast, rather than the WheelHit location. I can tell why they'd do it - physics raycast is accurate inside the same frame. WheelHit is a frame slow on position output (but just add on your vessel velocity * dtime and its fine) The problem is that physics raycast seems to hit a collider on some layer that vessels can't when going down the runway (but the physics raycast will hit them). Its probably something to do with how the runway clear check works.

So basically, if you want to solve the bouncy graphics on the runway problem, don't use ModuleLandingGear. You're welcome to base your gear off my Modules if you like instead, but I can understand why you'd rather not since you're trying to stick to augmenting stock games here. You could use Stock Wheel Module with an animation module on top. Again check my source code if you like for doing your own animation module for the gear, if you want to do it that way.

I stumbled on this thread earlier and have spent the last several hours reading the entire thing. The work here is superb and spot on. I am glad that you guys are making it what you want rather than succumbing to release it half-baked. This is just amazing. I created a forum account just to post this. You guys are awesome. Keep up the great work. Don't change your goals. Don't be impatient to get it out. Your patience and hard work will be rewarded. If I could give you a pat on the back, I would. I am excited for this one.

Just a quick update.

I decided to go with a texture on the navball that was closer to what the Space Shuttle uses as well as Apollo and such. It's a lot clearer and I made the fonts slightly smaller so that the whole thing is easier to read.

This is still a work in progress since I'm stuck figuring out the texturing on the markers.

-Note: The navball is being lit by its emissive. It won't be like the default KSP navball that is lit from a light source. Instead this ball has its own lightbulb inside.

lrpjuL7.jpg

Beautiful IVA, will you be using Firespiter MFDs?

You may want to read this post. Basically, the answer is no, as the custom graphical MFDs are coming along nicely (see previous screenshots for an example of the functioning mockup PFD that is not representative of final assets).