Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

Earlier in the thread you see shots of the optional docking module that will be included. However, it cuts your cargo space down by about 2 meters.

I decided on 2.5m (2.2 usable) in width, and about 5.5m in length. That gives you enough space for most of the stock KSP parts, as well as most standard less than 2.5m parts you can download.

The model and textures are mindblowing..I have a strict rule of not downloading entire crafts (modded or otherwise), but I might have to break it!

For the first phase of this project, my intent is to have it ride dorsally on fuel tank using mostly the KW Rocketry parts mod (like the NASA, or Buran space shuttles). The KW rocketry mod contains liquid tanks large enough for this. It's also the mod I'm using now in my test flights without the orbiter (using a B9 Mod orbiter).

-You guys will just get the orbiter and accessories, no launch vehicle. That'll be once I work with other members of the modding community here to get the Kerbin orbiter into KSP successfully without bugs...

To clarify this project will contain the following:

-The orbiter and its parts (as seen above).

-Docking module adapter.

-IVA cockpit.

Optional items and if there is a need/demand by you guys or folks helping me getting it into KSP:

-Engine and OMS adapter ring

-RCS Pods

-Launch vehicle (main fuel tank in the Rockomax style, and either solid or liquid boosters).

This mod will not include engines, unless we absolutely find it necessary do to some flight related issue.

The model is designed and has spots in the engine bay for you to mount it symmetrically atop a fuel tank like Kliper does. It's really up to you how best you can get it into orbit. But most of my testing and mass changes will be to target an asymmetrical "piggy-back" design.

In my experiments using KW Rocketry, B9 for an orbiter, and the Procedural Fairings mod, I still had issues with mass when I built a vehicle similar to Kliper. So currently I'm not seeing much benefit in mounting the orbiter symmetrically like Kliper.

The KW Rocketry Mod, as well as so many other mods out there contain tanks, solid and liquid boosters, and stuff that I don't see the need for me to put together a launch vehicle. I also like the KW stuff because it more or less sticks to the default KSP design.

Putting together a launch vehicle (Liquid fuel tank, boosters, etc) wouldn't take very long, maybe just a couple days since there is nothing complex about them. I just don't see the need currently with so many of them on the Spaceport. Unless I find some mass issue with the orbiter that requires a custom launch components, or unless you guys absolutely want those parts.

Edited by helldiver

I'm not sure if it's been brought up before, I don't have the time to go searching, so let me suggest this mod instead of some wildly vectored engine: mod

It'll vary the thrust of all throttleable engines to keep your center of thrust under your center of mass, and adjust the force of RCS thrusters to produce more stable translation forces. As a bonus, it utilises varied thrust, and thrust vectoring on capable engines, to impart attitude control.

One of the major problems with putting a shuttle on the side of a rocket is that as you launch your center of mass shifts from primarily in your external tank, to primarily in the shuttle itself causing an unwanted pitch force. Most other shuttle mods I've seen get around this by having engines that are gimbaled enough to counter that, but a more elegant solution would be to use a mod like the one I pointed out. I'm sorry that I posted that out of the blue without explaining it better, especially with the problem not having been discussed yet, but I figured I'd head the problem off before it reared it's head.

One of the major ...

Thank you!

I'd been using the other Vectored engine mod but was using action groups to do the vectoring manually. This mod will really help with that!

Because of those issues and because odds are I'll have to fidget with Orbital and launch engine thrust values, I decided to make both an OMS engine and a launch engine for the shuttle.

I always knew about the problem, but I figured I'd let you guys choose what ever engine you wanted. But odds are those engines won't fit properly the rear of the shuttle.

[Edit] That was just the mod I'd been looking for after reading the details on it!

Edited by helldiver

Another progress shots. Just got to do the Orbital engines and then the cockpit interior for IVA.

Wasn't sure what you all thought of the decals on the side, I added the rescue placards as well. I didn't think it would detract from the Kerbal look. I also went in and redid some of the textures to more closely match the stock KSP parts.

Please ignore the shiny, I turned up the specular in the viewport only for taking these shots. These are not renderings, but shots straight from the viewport using the Xoliul D3D shader.

zg6Cvuy.jpg

Three Thrustmax engines; missing are the three orbital engines (I ran out of time today). They go on the left and right side of the upper main engine and the third one goes in between the two lower main engines.

JZTNbrS.jpg

sdX0GMU.jpg

9gyIOAy.jpg

By38Gk9.jpg

I went back in and made changes to the textures, bringing them closer to stock KSP and the KSPX mod.

o748Egn.jpg

RqYGOqN.jpg

The new Thrustmax engine and docking module.

UnbD66P.jpg

To do still, an OMS engine, IVA cockpit, collision meshes, and getting it in game.

Alright, so a set of nozzles underneath the shuttle should be good? I was going to put one there but wanted to post first to get some feedback.

Again, testing will probably change everything but I really want to stay away from putting in OMS pods like the real shuttle has.

Yeah, sorry for the really slow reply. A set at the underneath (only at the rear as it looks like the nose already has downward thrust) should allow it it translate in any direction.

The new pictures look great by the way