Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

Jeez guys, you guys are really close to getting this mod released. I can't wait, also, what is the maximum payload parameters? Like width, length and weight? Also, is satellite retrieval possible, what is the reentry parameters?

We have zero idea at this point.

We are still brick and mortar. Meaning, we're still putting pieces together and glueing them...

ZRM used stock numbers and values as well as some sample values just to test that everything worked. That doesn't mean that things are playable, and it definitely doesn't mean it's usable by the average KSP gamer.

I don't even have the KSO in my installation of KSP. That shows you how much we still have to go.

Once it gets back to me, I'm going to be testing it thoroughly while ZRM finishes up its flight model, flight numbers, engine numbers, etc. Once that is all done and good, and he's happy with it, and I'm happy with it, we move on to Phase 1 release.

I'm sure by then ZRM or myself will have an idea of such parameters and can be more honest on those numbers.

There was some scaling involved between me and ZRM's pipeline. So numbers I give you, may be off by a few inches/centimeters. But the Cargo bay was designed to be 1.8 (6ft) meters wide

Regarding why the Cockpit ended up being slightly off, and why I suspect other Cockpits made by the community have that issue:

-Squad has not provided a T-posed Kerbal model. If Squad wishes to have mods (or even work with 3rd parties to provide DLC type work) it is imperative that they provide a t-posed Kerbal.

-The problem with the Kerbals, unlike a standard character, is their limb sizes. I'm a character artist by trade, but I'm used to standard limb length. When I went to the Kerbal wiki and got the Kerbal size and did the math, I didn't expect their limbs to be so disproportionate. I mean they literally have no pelvis, and the thigh bones are very short.

-That meant that their size is taken up by 1/3 of their head.

-Now that's cool and all, but it means that if you build any asset for such a character, you really should have a t-pose of the character (I can do the vertex weighting with the skin modifier to apply a biped).

-I can reverse engineer a Kerbal, there are several ways to do it, the simplest way is for me to provide ZRM with a measuring cage which he sets an in-game Kerbal against. He then takes screenshots in 4 views (top, left, front, perspective) and I rebuild the kerbal in Max.

-The other more elaborate method (and slightly controversial) is to use a 3D Video Card memory hook. Essentially capturing any 3D data being sent to the video card.

In the end I decided not to bog down the project by modeling a kerbal which could have taken two or more days.

So, because of the disproportionate limb ratios, you end up with the panel being too tall, central column too high, headrests on seats not at the right location, seats not wide enough, and so on. Hence the issue. Keep in mind I do not have the KSO project in my installation of KSP. Even if I did I wouldn't know how to update changes I make.

So a lot of it is like me making changes through a rear view mirror, while ZRM sends back directions through a small grey fuzzy 240p camera view...

Hmm, those proportions look suspect. Are you sure that's made from measurements, and not just fan-art?

It is based on pictures of the Kerbals. But did not have anything near T shape, so the proportion is just an estimate of the size of the kerbals.

Anariaq

Working on the MFD's currently.

It's been back and forth since its on something I'm not quite clear. I think we're getting there. Once we get the first one done, then I think the others should go smoothly since the NAV mode is pretty much similar to the HDG mode.

I want to get the MFD's (the boring part) out of the way before I move on with more pieces. Hopefully once that is all done we can get this project finished up.

Working on the MFD's currently. It's been back and forth since its on something I'm not quite clear. I think we're getting there. Once we get the first one done, then I think the others should go smoothly since the NAV mode is pretty much similar to the HDG mode. I want to get the MFD's (the boring part) out of the way before I move on with more pieces. Hopefully once that is all done we can get this project finished up.
YAY! At last!

can you put up a list of what you've done and what's left to do? its kinda hard to guess how far along this is

-All of the artwork is done

-Everything is in KSP with a baseline flight data

-MFD artwork is partially complete and implemented. MFDs are done in a completely different method than I am used to.

Basically the Phase I is about 80% complete. Just the MFDs are holding us up.

If push comes to shove, we'll complete the HDG and NAV modes. Test and set number right, release Phase I, and work on ENG modes and the other modes later.