Kerbin Mini Shuttle

helldiver

So, to change the subject... roughly how big (MB) will this be on first release? Or is it to be determined?

On my end, the resources compressed down to about 28-30mb if I recall correctly. Not sure the total number after all plugins and such but it should be around that ball park. Now I'm assuming in terms of the download size?

Uncompressed you're looking at about 120-130mb. It could be smaller than that, but I'm not releasing any further details regarding texture format compression at the moment.

Edited by helldiver

I generally don't like part kits that are too prefab - one right way to assemble - but for this I'll make an exception. Looks beautiful.

I agree, I like to make somethings myself. Like don't attach engines to fuel tanks. (lookin' at you Bobcat...)

I agree, I like to make somethings myself. Like don't attach engines to fuel tanks. (lookin' at you Bobcat...)

From what I understand, he does that to reduce lag (on less-capable machines) and wobbliness.

Alright guys.

I'm currently waiting for ZRM to send me a copy of the project (the one players would get) so I can start verifying it all and making any final fixes. ZRM maybe a bit tied up with real life and other things so it's just a matter of him wrapping that up and sending it to me. So I'm currently sitting here just like all of you guys :)

Once he's done, and I'm done checking it all, we'll do some final testing and fixing and we'll wrap it up and finalize it. ZRM has other commitments coming up, so we're trying to get this done before those come up so that folks can start playing with it while I work on additional art and assets for Phase II.

That's the short of it, a waiting game for all of us. But we'll get there soon!

Alright guys.

I'm currently waiting for ZRM to send me a copy of the project (the one players would get) so I can start verifying it all and making any final fixes. ZRM maybe a bit tied up with real life and other things so it's just a matter of him wrapping that up and sending it to me. So I'm currently sitting here just like all of you guys :)

Once he's done, and I'm done checking it all, we'll do some final testing and fixing and we'll wrap it up and finalize it. ZRM has other commitments coming up, so we're trying to get this done before those come up so that folks can start playing with it while I work on additional art and assets for Phase II.

That's the short of it, a waiting game for all of us. But we'll get there soon!

Thank you for all the hard work you and ZRM are putting into this. We are all looking forward to its release.

The portion behind the cockpit would make more sense as a second fuel tank than SAS (which is now a standard function of command pods). The real shuttle didn't have a control moment gyroscope, but did have fore and aft fuel tanks to achieve tight CoM tolerances.

The portion behind the cockpit would make more sense as a second fuel tank than SAS (which is now a standard function of command pods). The real shuttle didn't have a control moment gyroscope, but did have fore and aft fuel tanks to achieve tight CoM tolerances.

The portion behind the cockpit doesn't exist anymore. It was all welded together as part of the cockpit.

Soon as I get in-game materials I'll put together some shots.

Right, I'm back working on this. Real life did get in the way. I'm going to tidy up the plugins and the directory structure, tweak some of the IVA cameras (since you want to make screenshots) and sort out the functionality of the underside RCS covers (should be quite simple, I just haven't got round to it yet), then I'll pass it on to you so you can check everything. Be aware that most of the fuel/resource load is not set up yet. For example, the shuttle itself does not actually contain any fuel yet. I just test it once in orbit with infinite fuel and infinite RCS enabled. Part masses will need to be tweaked to compensate when fuel is added, so it should still behave the same as it does now on reentry and landing. We will also need to decide about electricity usage, for example making the MFDs and cockpit lighting require electricity to function. I will also be sending you the NAV mode prototype. ENG mode is in the works, and I'm adding useful things like remaining delta-V, ETA to MECO, etc. After doing a bit of research, I found that the real shuttle used the same fuel (MMH/NTO) for its OMS and its RCS. Do you want to do the same?

I found that the real shuttle used the same fuel (MMH/NTO) for its OMS and its RCS. Do you want to do the same?

No, the OMS engines should use the default KSP fuel for the launch engines (LOX, LH2). The RCS should use Mono.

Otherwise everything else sounds fantastic. PM any other details.

No, the OMS engines should use the default KSP fuel for the launch engines (LOX, LH2). The RCS should use Mono.

Otherwise everything else sounds fantastic. PM any other details.

Uh, default KSP fuel is "LiquidFuel" and "Oxidizer". LOX/LH2 is what the LRBs and main engines would be using under Modular Fuel System. So are you saying use LF/O for the OMS?