New space sim on the block? Perhaps ...

Ming

Could this be a classic case of biting off more than you can chew? Space Simulator (http://www.space-simulator.com/) has grand goals and must be using some type of incredible 3D physics engine that I've never heard of.

mini_11_zps807ed6b4.png mini_virtual1_zpsddb21a3d.png mini_201_zps8a139b3d.png

Entire - full size/correct scale - Solar system

While other space simulator apps are limited to a few minutes of landing the shuttle or let you fly cartoon-ish spacecrafts in a fictitious tiny universe with unrealistic physics, we present you with a Space Simulator with full functional solar system 1 to 1 scale, from Mercury to Makemake, all the planets, moons, an assortment of major asteroid objects, plus several hidden Kuiper belt planets for you to discover, and even a distant trip to the mysterious Sedna. You'll be able to explore the outer planets, find new gravitational slingshots to cut travel time, or plan realistic fueled automated missions to Jupiter's moons. All this with realistic speeds, distances and fuel constrains

New Procedural Planet Rendering

We have developed a new exclusive way of rendering planets. Thanks to our patented Infinitely Recursive Planet Rendering system, you will get almost unlimited level of roundness of the planet. We can create planets so realistic that it even models the non-sphericity of the Earth or the mass-cons of the Moon. The custom made texturing system enables it to render textures up to a 1 meter resolution on the relevant areas, with on-the-fly compressed/decompressed textures for a seamless transition, from a bright point in the sky to a 2 meter crater in the Apollo landing sites.

(PC & Mac versions only)

Space Simulator also lets you build from scratch you own spacecrafts. Attach turbo-pumps, fuel and oxidizer tanks, combustion chambers, trusses, capsules, automated probes, with a very easy and intuitive Rocket Builder editor, that surely will keep all those with an engineering spirit entertained for ages! You can even design the rocket's wiring, escape towers, hydraulic actuators, guidance systems, etc...

Their Space Simulator forum is pretty much dead, and researching the parent company "Brixton Dynamics" (http://brixtondynamics.co.uk/portfolio-item/space-simulator/) hasn't been very helpful in terms of getting a fix on their simulation methodologies.

My bet is that they've stalled because their unrealistic goals have been thwarted by a big dose of reality ...

Edited by Ming

This is basically orbiter remade for iPad, but you can "build" your ship. Pretty sure their part choices must be very limited.

That's what I though too until I read this on their website (sounds like a lot of parts) ...

... turbo-pumps, fuel and oxidizer tanks, combustion chambers, trusses, capsules, automated probes, with a very easy and intuitive Rocket Builder editor, that surely will keep all those with an engineering spirit entertained for ages! You can even design the rocket's wiring, escape towers, hydraulic actuators, guidance systems, etc...

And ...

Wiring, à la Minecraft Redstone "You can even design the rocket's wiring". Really? I don't think so.

Edited by Ming

Soon as it said iPad and iPhone I switched off, it wont use the PC ( or MAC) power at all, so the game will be a mobile game running on a PC.

The vast majority of players dont really want a seriously accurate simulation, they may initially think they do but when the complexity kicks them in the teeth then they realise they just want to pretend to be a pilot / astronaut / engineer / tank crew / etc etc.

KSP treads a fine line between serious enough to attract a fair number of serious sim gamers from say Orbiter, yet make it fun enough for a Minecraft player (cant drop the complexity enough for CoD players though (joking, couldnt resist :P))... so it keeps a reasonable player base, too serious and the Minecraft lot bugger off, too fun and the sim lot go.

So the max storage space for an ipad is 128 GB and they want to fit every planet moon and asteroid to a high detail on that amount of space and still make it playable?

I doubt it can be as realistic as they say it will be, mainly because of realistic gravity and aerodynamics compared to the capabilities of an Ipad.

And while we are on the topic of realism; There's a whole lot of unrealistic glare on the crafts and Earth.

This might be a fun game once it's released, but they shouldn't boast about something which is impossible on an Ipad, let alone a PC.

I read that dig and was like, "these guys are a bunch if jackasses."

You know what? I don't want to do the wiring on a very real space ship.

1. I spend hours in the VAB just building the rocket, to then do wiring for everything I want to test?! No thanks.

2. If you're going to attack other game in your games description, that shows a extreme lack of class and professionalism.

3. You know what? I've done the wiring on my classic Volvo, and helped my dad do his. You know what's the worst thing in the whole world? Wiring up anything, at all. It's time consuming and tedious and if you screw up something it could throw the whole thing off.

No thanks, I'll stick to my cartoonish rockets and small, unrealistic universe.

Come on guys, competition is always good, and it looks like they're actually trying to do things differently and not just copy KSP. Can't blame them for trying.

I hope they actually get something decently playable out soon.

Come on guys, competition is always good, and it looks like they're actually trying to do things differently and not just copy KSP. Can't blame them for trying.

I hope they actually get something decently playable out soon.

They basically remade Orbiter but with KSP's VAB, nothing much new here.

I read that dig and was like, "these guys are a bunch if jackasses."

2. If you're going to attack other game in your games description, that shows a extreme lack of class and professionalism.

Exactly what I was thinking. Immediately reminded me of the WarZ/Infestion debacle, although not that severe.

Despite their boasting and attitude it looks interesting though, I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm still skeptical of how they're going to pull this one off, given the limited computing power of an iPad/iPhone/any smartphone.

Edited by Doc.Solveberg

I read through their website and seem like they are mocking both Orbiter (While other space simulator apps are limited to a few minutes of landing the shuttle) and (as someone else has already mentioned) KSP (let you fly cartoon-ish spacecrafts in a fictitious tiny universe with unrealistic physics). I also think that would not be able to make something like that an iOS device.

Wiring, no prob. Finally finished. Looks great!

That wasn't so hard after all. :confused:

OK, here goes. Shift Key, SAS, Spacebar ... Huh? What? Red wire goes where? Oh crap!

Audi_wires.jpg

Edited by Ming

I read through their website and seem like they are mocking both Orbiter (While other space simulator apps are limited to a few minutes of landing the shuttle) and (as someone else has already mentioned) KSP (let you fly cartoon-ish spacecrafts in a fictitious tiny universe with unrealistic physics). I also think that would not be able to make something like that an iOS device.

Wow if they're mocking Orbiter like that it's clear they never played it. People have done some really crazy things in it. People can do an entire mission to Mars with it. Hell I've seem people make custom solar systems with it.

If you don't believe me just watch these:

Wow if they're mocking Orbiter like that it's clear they never played it. People have done some really crazy things in it. E

I'm not quite sure what they're playing at really, risking alienating potential users, as both KSP and (from what I hear), Orbiter have very strong fanbases. If I was them, I'd be trying to fit in among the others.

They basically remade Orbiter but with KSP's VAB, nothing much new here.

That's exactly the kind of game I want! There are two things that are missing in Orbiter in my opinion - vessel construction and 3D terrain, and one thing that KSP is missing - realism. If this new project will deliver to the promise - I'll get what I want :)

Notice anything missing in this picture?

phoca_thumb_l__spacesim_201311711712.png

If they overlook something as obvious as the LES, I can only imagine what else they got wrong.

That's exactly the kind of game I want! There are two things that are missing in Orbiter in my opinion - vessel construction and 3D terrain, and one thing that KSP is missing - realism. If this new project will deliver to the promise - I'll get what I want :)

Well, if god's physic engine works as intended, so will their project.

Seriously, I think they're overestimating what they can do with an iPad by far.

Does it have brave, stupid little green men piloting a spaceship without actually learning to fly? If not, then get it out of here. :sticktongue:

Good point, i think the appeal of the Kerbals themselves is a strong factor in the success of KSP, without them a lot of players like me who never much thought or cared for space-travel before may have just thought "Oh, another simulation" and walked on by.

By the time i realised i had been roped into science it was too late, the Kerbals had tricked me, good luck to the game the OP posts about but i'm sticking with KSP, it's given me so many unique and happy moments that i consider it to be one of the all-time classics i have played in my 20 year "career" as a gamer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.