Allow Certain Parts to NOT be Included in Staging

Sometimes, a part is used for a purpose other than what it is necessarily intended for. For example, the radial separators being used to give radially mounted fuel tanks a bit of distance from the center tank. It is currently impossible to exclude the function allowing these separators to do their job and separate these radially mounted tanks from the center tank from staging, even though these tanks are intended to be permanent.

I suggest it be made possible to allow leaving certain components outside of any stages to prevent accidental uses of such components, when no action is or ever will be desired. It would still be possible to do the actions through right-clicking the components, if one needed to do so later.

Thanks for reading!

Currently what I do is drag all such parts to stage 0. To complete this idea all that the stock game would need is to stop staging at some point before the final stage.

Then I think why have only one? Why have linear staging at all. Drag all your abort stage parts into Stage "A" which won't happen in the normal linear sequence. Branching stage trees. Conditional staging actions! IN-FLIGHT USER-SELECTABLE STAGING PROFILES!!!!

...then I had to lay down for a while.

Until this gets implemented, I humbly submit that we can create something similar in flight (or in the VAB/SPH) by clicking the +thingy on the stage, then dragging the decouplers (or whatever) on it, then dragging that stage to the very top of the staging list so it's stage 0. We can even add other stuff to it so they're all on the same stage. That way it's the absolutely very last thing that will ever get staged, which should hopefully tide us over until we have a "don't stage this!" stage added.

Until this gets implemented, I humbly submit that we can create something similar in flight (or in the VAB/SPH) by clicking the +thingy on the stage, then dragging the decouplers (or whatever) on it, then dragging that stage to the very top of the staging list so it's stage 0. We can even add other stuff to it so they're all on the same stage. That way it's the absolutely very last thing that will ever get staged, which should hopefully tide us over until we have a "don't stage this!" stage added.

That's my current solution, and it does well enough for now, I guess.

Then I think why have only one? Why have linear staging at all. Drag all your abort stage parts into Stage "A" which won't happen in the normal linear sequence. Branching stage trees. Conditional staging actions! IN-FLIGHT USER-SELECTABLE STAGING PROFILES!!!!

Definetely like that idea of conditional staging, however, explain what you mean with branched staging, please.

Branching staging would be multi-path as opposed to linear. So for example you might have stages 4 - 3 - 2A / 2B - 1 and depending on your specific decision at various stage events your stage path might be 4-3-2A-1 or 4-3-2B-1.

Yeah, they could do that by making a stage called "not in staging". It would look just like any other stage, where you drag the parts there, but it would never be executed.

very good suggestion, stuff like that would make things like landers building far easier

I was almost posting the same thing, lets give us a:

NON-Stage-Stage (minimalised stage Ø number above all), ready to be expanded for drag inside parts somewhere else, but most importantly, this could never been able to activate by regular stagging [sPACEbar], as you told.

+1

• 1 year later...
Yeah, they could do that by making a stage called "not in staging". It would look just like any other stage, where you drag the parts there, but it would never be executed.

Maybe with a different background color... but if someone wants to stage it on a second thought can do if rearanges in flight

The idea is good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.