Keep the flat area around Dirt Island Runway

I saw the changes to the Dirt Runway Island in the preview videos, and it was pretty much the first time I was disappointed with an update.

If you haven't seen it, it's in this video here.

With the runway being narrow, and far of the ground, most of my landings are made on the flat space around it to ensure safety.

Plus, it's a nice place for people testing boats (stock and jet powered, or otherwise) intended for Laythe or Eve to make a run to.

The new, cliff edged site does not look very boat friendly.

The old one had a nice, beachy island kind of feel. It had wide ocean views.

From the preview, it looks like any other place on Kerbin.

I say it is worth reconsidering the changes to that island for the released version, or if it is too late, reverting it for the version after that.

For the record, this is the only disappointing thing, so that's probably a good sign.

Edited by Tw1

You are going up a hill side, or over a hill to land on it. That doesn't really increase the level of difficulty all that much.

I think he's more or less complaning about the lack of "boat friendly-ness"

True, but boats and amphibious vehicles are still something many of us do. And there's still the option to recover a landing that didn't go so well by landing beside the runway, if the ground is a lot flatter.

It seems odd to remove usefulness.

Plus it's less interesting to change it from beach like, to plain old Kerbin grass.

Edited by Tw1

I don't even care that the location got moved because the new ASAS will make flying 10x easier. what I don't get is why they removed the easter eggs and changed the runway color to green. what was the point? that runway was the only thing this game had as a nice decoration of civilization. and now it just blends in too much with the ground

I thought the green was just they hadn't rendered it properly for the preview version. Perhaps its the same with the terrain, and something mucked it up, and they didn't go an flatten it in time.

It would be nice to get some confirmation for this.

That was unintended. Nova replied to a post about that, not knowing it got removed, so it might be in .21 if he got around to fixing it.

Not really touched the game since early in .20 when my time off started, so I think it might still be gone. I haven't looked recently, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.