Coneshot's Asparagus Challenge!

The name of the game is tiny:

The rules are simple, no mods except Mechjeb and Engineer, no debug menu, no infinity glider, no gimmicks, cheats, hacks, no claiming the neighbors kid on your income tax, or "She's just a good friend who happens to be a woman, honey." .. er ... ahem, you get the picture..

Smallest asparagus to stable orbit around Kerbin wins!

1. -Rhomphaia with 1.71T
  2. -Rhomphaia with 1.84T
  3. -Coneshot with 2.04T
  4. -

Good Luck!

Coneshot

Edited by Coneshot

There is no way. That cannot be possible! You'r using an ant engine!!!! How do you beat that? wait, idea coming on.

lol I was going to try an ant motor challenge. When I tried to get anything into orbit, if it was big enough to put that many ant motors on, it took more and more motors to get it off the pad.. The last one I tried was 2 tanks and nearly a thousand parts! (most of them motors)

Asparagus isn't the lightest way to get to a stable orbit. You have to carry an extra engine and decoupler, and 1 of the small Rockomax radial engines is more than enough for craft this small. You can even do an SSTO at only 1.26 tons, technically SSTO is the degenerate case of a single asparagus stage.

Asparagus isn't the lightest way to get to a stable orbit. You have to carry an extra engine and decoupler, and 1 of the small Rockomax radial engines is more than enough for craft this small. You can even do an SSTO at only 1.26 tons, technically SSTO is the degenerate case of a single asparagus stage.

Yep, Like this

xzei.png

But that wasn't the challenge.

So now I go with this

48av.png

1.51t

Edited by Rhomphaia

The rules are simple, no mods except Mechjeb

First off, how do you define asparagus staging? Your entry simply looks to be a crossfeed design. If you drop all your side tanks at once that's referred to onion staging.

Second, no mods except Mechjeb would exclude engineer redux? You're allowing autopilot but not a pure info mod? I've no interest to go up against autopilot users if I'm not even allowed to use engineer.

I know you in particular are great at getting tiny craft into orbit, I just thought it would be fun to try using a design style outside of it's performance range and see how far it could be pushed. Asparagus are great for monster rockets, but horribly inefficient at smaller sizes.

First off, how do you define asparagus staging? Your entry simply looks to be a crossfeed design. If you drop all your side tanks at once that's referred to onion staging.

Second, no mods except Mechjeb would exclude engineer redux? You're allowing autopilot but not a pure info mod? I've no interest to go up against autopilot users if I'm not even allowed to use engineer.

I define asparagus as all engines from all stages firing while fuel is being used for the whole rocket from the last stage in the chain first(or the first stage to drop off, depending on how you look at it) Then those empty stages are discarded leaving the remaining stages full as the cycle repeats. While my designs could fall into the onion staging category (all engines firing, fuel from all the outer stages sent to the inner ones before dropping) I prefer to think of them as the final stage of an asparagus set.

As far as allowing The Engineer mod, my apologies, I didn't include that one simply because I'm not familiar with it (out of my own ignorance lol )

I'll update the scores and include engineer now.

Coneshot

Edited by Coneshot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.